This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

SPLIT from WTF Series - Teh 227 patch debacle

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1966
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 07:21
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 08:18

ok... got me there.... Dependancies are annoying. Meh, your mod looks cool and i hope you meet with success! :tup: I just wont be able to personally get around to playing it for a while.


Oh yeah:
Actually it doesn't since the 227 patch enhances the Unreal engine beyond what UT could ever do...
I don't want to mess around with community patches until they become finalised. the "227 patch" has a letter on the end of it... "E" i believe. Therefore, it is not final. I prefer my unreal the way it is, and i prefer my UT the way it is. If your mod depends on patch 227 then i'm afraid i may never, ever play it.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7898
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 13:32

TheIronKnuckle wrote:
Actually it doesn't since the 227 patch enhances the Unreal engine beyond what UT could ever do...
I don't want to mess around with community patches until they become finalised. the "227 patch" has a letter on the end of it... "E" i believe. Therefore, it is not final. I prefer my unreal the way it is, and i prefer my UT the way it is. If your mod depends on patch 227 then i'm afraid i may never, ever play it.


Epic shouldn't have given the Unreal Source Code to the community, to be pretty much honest.
ImageImage

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 96
Joined: 26 Jun 2008, 22:56
Location: PT
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 15:14

... actually, i disagree. I had UT for some 6 or so years, and just this last month i got Unreal - i had played it before, years ago. And i ONLY got it because i remembered it was a screwy piece of code, unable to behave properly, and needing serious patching. Maybe it had to do with pc cards, maybe drivers, but the matter is, it needed a 'stability' update, and that is all i wanted - either that, or Unreal would of not worked for me, pronto. Then the editor. Even though i've released but a less than a handfull of stuff for UT, i constantly have stuff being made with UnrealEd (concretization is my problem...) so, having a proper working UED was key. Yes, you can say there's lots of fixes and stuff on the net, but the fact that an incremental patch being done by the community concentrates and otherwise solve and improve on all this shouldn't be dicarded as easily. It may well be a matter of opinion, but i'd say we all win with the 227, being it version 'e' or other future one.

I say, if it weren't for the news and actual results of the 227, i'd might of never even bother to catch Unreal again, lefting it as a mere memory.

My opinion...
...'sharp dressed man'...

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 15:33

I also disagree with UB here... I think it's great that it's been released, so that bugs finally CAN be fixed.. even after 10 years!

I just don't know if 227 isn't gonna get too big with all the features added to it. And if it's all gonna be worth it.
I just hope I can play ALL the maps.. even the ones that I can't play right now because of incompability issues. And that it's going to be a great experience (again).
there's more

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator
Posts: 2288
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 14:43
Location: Germany
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 15:35

You shouldn't judge the patch before you've played with it ;) It fixes the bugs that made the game inferior to it's successor UT, adds new features like improved decals, the handsome particle emitter and vegetation generator and allows Unreal to live on for much longer, since the game can now be updated again 10 years after release. In fact Unreal is now more technically advanced than Unreal Tournament and the latter's only advantage remains in the custom content that isn't backwards-compatible to Unreal (Oldskool mods etc.)

Also different to standard community patches is the fact that Unreal 227 is extremely bug-free and works just as well as the official versions, so there is absolutely no reason to be sceptical.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7898
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 15:58

Sorry dudes, but I stick with real official patches rather than "227abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz". Happy server-crashing.

UT is still a better choice for its contents and community. F*** the graphik crap. Hopefully Epic won't do the same error again.

End of OffTopic.

Late Edit: looking at it, this post sucks.
Last edited by UBerserker on 06 Aug 2008, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator
Posts: 2288
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 14:43
Location: Germany
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 16:23

UBerserker wrote:Sorry dudes, but I stick with real official patches rather than "227abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz". Happy server-crashing.

F*** the graphik crap. Hopefully Epic won't do the same error again.

Having some kind of spastic fit there? :o
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7898
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 16:25

Missing something?
Edit: eeh too bad for the outburst.

End of OffTopic.
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 348
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:31
Location: UK

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 17:27

And I thought I was the only one with something against 227...

In any case, as long as it runs on U226f or UT436 I won't trouble myself too much with this controversial topic.
StalwartUK
Recent plays: Running out of levels, at least ones worth playing.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2008, 17:43

UBerserker wrote:Sorry dudes, but I stick with real official patches rather than "227abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz". Happy server-crashing.


I agree with you that I dont want to play with beta patches.. the 227a-z. I'll wait till 227 final has been released.

If you don't want to play that.. then that's fine of course.
there's more

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 02:26

TheIronKnuckle wrote:ok... got me there.... Dependancies are annoying. Meh, your mod looks cool and i hope you meet with success! :tup: I just wont be able to personally get around to playing it for a while.


Oh yeah:
Actually it doesn't since the 227 patch enhances the Unreal engine beyond what UT could ever do...
I don't want to mess around with community patches until they become finalised. the "227 patch" has a letter on the end of it... "E" i believe. Therefore, it is not final. I prefer my unreal the way it is, and i prefer my UT the way it is. If your mod depends on patch 227 then i'm afraid i may never, ever play it.


No it does not depend on the 227 patch....i made sure it is completely compatible since there are some ppl out there who think the way you do....although i must say the 227 patch and engine opens up a whole new many possibilities that i do wish i could use...it has many advantages that i think ppl do not realize =/

And yes 227e is not final....but it is extremely close. I talked to Smirf the other day and he says that 227f will almost be exactly the same 227e....just there will be a few minor fixes here and there.

Also I'm posting to announce that WTF Series 1 will NOT be released since there are a few things still needed to be worked out....and also we are adding difficulty levels for all you hardkore players :P

I wanted to originally release it today since i am leaving for about a week and a half and won't be able to release it till after i get back....but it does not seem that it going to happen unfortunately =/
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1966
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 07:21
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 09:47

sana wrote:You shouldn't judge the patch before you've played with it ;) It fixes the bugs that made the game inferior to it's successor UT, adds new features like improved decals, the handsome particle emitter and vegetation generator and allows Unreal to live on for much longer, since the game can now be updated again 10 years after release. In fact Unreal is now more technically advanced than Unreal Tournament and the latter's only advantage remains in the custom content that isn't backwards-compatible to Unreal (Oldskool mods etc.)

Also different to standard community patches is the fact that Unreal 227 is extremely bug-free and works just as well as the official versions, so there is absolutely no reason to be sceptical.


I personally think it was great for epic to throw us the source code, Understanding the game is what modding is all about!
However, i don't care for unofficial patches which aren't final. Hell: I don't care for ANY patches which are beta even if they are official.

I'm not hating the 227 patch. I will definately play around with it once it becomes final.



But with that said, even if this patch does make unreal peform better than UT i still wouldn't care about it all that much. UT is different. I (personally) see it as the superior game. That is because of it's gameplay. I'm sure that the 227 patch does not address this. It will not make unreal more enjoyable than UT in my eyes.
Just because this patch makes unreal look better then UT doesn't mean I automatically enjoy it more.

I also enjoy keeping things organised: I like to have all my SP campaigns accessable from UT. I'll put it like this:
Unreal is great for playing unreal.
UT is great for playing everything else.






Now: I know that it seems like i'm bagging this mod and all, but don't get me wrong. I actually think this mod to be very interesting. (Damn trailer got me hooked :P ). I can't wait to see what everyone else says about it when it gets released. :) Good luck with getting the pack out soon!

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2897
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 14:14

As someone who has, for all intents and purposes, replaced Unreal with UT has my primary SP playing source for the last ten years...I must say that I am quite pleased with the current 227patch and very much am interested in seeing the next installment. For a long time UT was just the better platform for me in just about every technical aspect, but it's great to see a dedicated group keeping the old girl kicking.

Having said that, I don't see the point comparing each. It all comes down to preference. As good as 227 is, it certainly isn't going to alter where I play, or create for that matter, SP material with. However, in the case of those packs that have a Unreal preference over UT, what the 227 patch offers is an alternative that can offer what UT mods like oldskool have for the last several years; a worthy alternative. So I'll keep it handy for packs dedicated to the old game if porting to UT is not possible.

As for the WTF pack, well, I'm waiting to give it a shot. Good luck with your final testing.
Image

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 16:47

TheIronKnuckle wrote:
sana wrote:You shouldn't judge the patch before you've played with it ;) It fixes the bugs that made the game inferior to it's successor UT, adds new features like improved decals, the handsome particle emitter and vegetation generator and allows Unreal to live on for much longer, since the game can now be updated again 10 years after release. In fact Unreal is now more technically advanced than Unreal Tournament and the latter's only advantage remains in the custom content that isn't backwards-compatible to Unreal (Oldskool mods etc.)

Also different to standard community patches is the fact that Unreal 227 is extremely bug-free and works just as well as the official versions, so there is absolutely no reason to be sceptical.


UT is different. I (personally) see it as the superior game. That is because of it's gameplay. I'm sure that the 227 patch does not address this.


Your sure? Your sure of what?? You've never even tried 227 before and your already judging it....all of you...judging a book by its cover. This is honestly ridiculous and half of you shouldn't be talking in the first place. And just to clarify....OFCOURSE the 227 patch address's the gameplay!! What do you think about the Oldunreal community? That were just a bunch of nutty scripters just fixing the visuals? You have no idea what has gone into 227....this is honestly outrageous.\

I mean thanx for the comments about my upcoming map pack...but honestly please do not judge 227 before u even ATLEAST look at the pdf readme release notes...

http://oldunreal.com/patch/227ReleaseNotes.pdf

Also, there is no 227a-z...thats just stupid....the last version (f) is coming out very soon and 227 will be a completely final patch so everyone can stop whining...

I'm not putting down UT99 though...but everyone here who is putting down 227 can seriously stfu and gtfo...

This post has gone way off topic...if you guys want to fight about this more...make a new damn post somewhere else.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 475
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 00:21
Location: Trójmiasto
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 17:35

Well to be honest I can't see any dramatical changes you know, just fixed stability issues , few new commands for coop, and a bunch of cool things ( well, unless the authors replaced old effects with new using particle emiiter that would be awesome, or made a use of the weather simulator in original maps ).
Last edited by Kaka on 07 Aug 2008, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest