Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

09/11/2015 - "Rrajigar Mine" by Cliff Bleszinski

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 09/11/2015 - "Rrajigar Mine" by Cliff Bleszinski

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015, 21:22

Map Title: Rrajigar Mine
Author: Cliff Bleszinski
Filename: dig.unr
Music Files: DigSh.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhJZle0t8A

Synopsis: Prisoner 849 enters the first real Skaarj-controlled location. The first dangerous romp on Na Pali.

Discuss!

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: 09/11/2015 - "Rrajigar Mine" by Cliff Bleszinski

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015, 08:42

The first fight with a Skaarj. Do I need to say more?

The stinger simply is a cool weapon and considering it's tied with the story/the environment it is even cooler. The secret area with the barrel you have to shoot is one of my favorites, because it's one of the few I found. :D Actually, because it needs you to think out of the box (in a trivial way, anyway). Overall, the mines are probably the most enjoyable industrial indoor map(s) of the original Unreal to me.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015, 01:15

The Skaarj fight is iconic, but this map tends to be not so praised outside of that. I think the complaints about it being a relatively confined design and the lack of a real "mine" theme are relatively justified, but it does still have multiple nice set-pieces and individual areas, plus it manages to properly introduce the role of the Nali along with the Skaarj.

While not directly related to this map in any way, in the vein of posting outside pieces on Unreal here's an article talking about it from this week, nice URL too ;) : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11 ... real-game/
Formerly Mman

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015, 04:58

Shame on me! :) I've found the way to super health only now, after watching the video.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015, 20:29

One of the most memorable maps in the game for me, right up there with the Vortex Rikers, NyLeve, Glathriel, Neve, and Chizra.

CliffyB seemed to have his grid stuck at 32uu, but his execution of the level was excellent regardless.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015, 00:30

Rrajigar Mine is great, both challenging and scary, and while the style was a bit more generic than the first two maps (tech dungeons were popular back then), the level was a step forward in terms of scripting and mise-en-scène.

And the Nali, too: simple role by today's standards, but consider this within the context of what existed back then - it just was one more thing that contributed to make this game's world seem more real than ever before in a 3D shooter in my eyes.

The fact that the Skaarj's AI holds up even today also goes a long way to show the advances that Unreal brought to the table.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.