This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[u1]firetrucks.u

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: [u1]firetrucks.u

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013, 01:40

Added a Steak and CookedSteak (both extend FiretrucksPickup). I've been working to make at least a little progress each day.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013, 01:56

That Merc sure does like counting his stuff, doesn't he! :P
I like where this is going, can have foodstalls 'n stuff now :D

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013, 02:04

Oh uh, yeah. So I wanted for trashbag to be out the door before September 1st. That didn't happen.

But yeah, it is still in development. The only things left to do (aside from general code cleanup and documentation) are the ClassicHUD and to redo some audio. If I'm honest, I don't really want to implement a new HUD. FiretrucksHUD is an integral part of firetrucks and to redo it completely is a lot more effort and time than I can manage apparently. I have implemented a HUDTrigger which allows mappers to change to a different class of HUD at any time if they so desire. Any features that rely on stuff being drawn on the screen obviously won't work with the default HUD.

There is probably also going to be a minor bugfix update to firetrucks itself at some point.

EDIT: after careful consideration I have decided to move some of the functional elements of trashbag over to the revision of firetrucks. This means that trashbag will now be out very soon! It also means it will just be an artsy pack full of decorations and inventory items.

The documentation for trashbag can be found http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013, 22:26

http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/

trashbag and its documentation are now released. tbh it doesn't really have that much content in it which reflects trashbag's original design scope (it was only supposed to take 2-3 weeks). It does have a few subclasses of FiretrucksPickup, and a couple of health pickups, some deco meshes, and some new footstep sounds.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013, 00:35

I thought I'd give an update on firetrucks development. No, I didn't forget about it or anything. I'm also not dead either (sorry to disappoint any of you who had hoped otherwise).

On the list for firetrucks v1.1 is:
  • Fix the embarassing display issue for instances of DialogueNode with DT_CHOICE. [done]
  • Fix mysterious display issue for instances of TextEvent [done]
  • Replace the craptacular Journal font with something which humans can actually read. [done]
  • TranslatorJournal w/ TranslatorJournalUI [done]
  • ClassicHUD (low priority)
  • HUDTrigger [done]
  • a firetruck deco mesh, like trashbag's Trashbag (delayed)
  • Minor HUD improvements, namely an indicator for suits and shield belts when the combat HUD is active [done]
  • Correction of non-desireable behavior of DialogueNode in the case of extreme violence against pawns [done]
Last edited by ebd on 23 Dec 2013, 10:32, edited 2 times in total.

Radi
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013, 08:03

So should be update in a near time ^^ ? Yeah ! Im making my first dialogs now, but for now Im stop using these classes until new version :) good to know that dialogue node could be fixed, apart from that, if player kills a 'speaker', it is still possible to talk with him until body is gibbed :) .

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013, 09:40

Radi wrote:So should be update in a near time ^^ ? Yeah ! Im making my first dialogs now, but for now Im stop using these classes until new version :) good to know that dialogue node could be fixed, apart from that, if player kills a 'speaker', it is still possible to talk with him until body is gibbed :) .
For what it is worth, the bugs are mostly cosmetic (in the HUD class specifically) and don't affect map development, and aren't any forwards-compatibility problems that I can forsee.

As for the second issue... It is something I noticed early in development, but made a bit sticky due to the fact that a speaker can by any actor (and not just a pawn). I suppose I should put in a check though because it definitely is not an intuitive behavior (if the speaker is a pawn and and is dead, then don't trigger)

It is actually really cool to know people are using in this project! If you have any other feedback I'd love to hear it.

I've been really busy with real life stuff, but I want to have the updated version out before the end of the month. Whether or not that actually happens is anyone's guess, but I'm going to try for it.

Radi
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013, 15:36

Hi and welcome :) so I can keep working with these events, better do not mylevel them yes?. For now I have nothing to report, except that is madness what I see in firetrucksExample map. I mean million actors just for placement of 3 items, this is complicated, hard somehow to use in a map :)

Radi
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013, 00:58

:) hi . I have a few questions regarding firetrucks :).
I play and learn with them a little and thats what I need to create scenes :) great mod :) please do not stop working on it :) Im sure that more mappers will realize its greatness :p
My little thoughts for now:
it is possible for You to modify the UseEventAssocitator, so actor turn to player direction if he is within range? :) there is even a variable in eventAssocitator called useDistance .:) about turning of pawns btw: talk to Nali from behind and you see how fast he turn to face player :) somehow this looks unnatural, I hope this can be fixed :D

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013, 10:52

Version 1.1 is out! The change list is smaller than I planned, but all the bad bugs are fixed. See the above list for what all was changed, or alternatively see below for download link.

http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/firetrucks_1_1_0.zip

It should be compatible with all old maps that used the previous release of firetrucks. I sincerely apologize for all the pain and suffering I've caused everyone with my slow release schedule.

Radi
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013, 13:02

yeah, update! ^^ . downloading now. just please do not stop developing this :) hehe

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014, 09:53

Hey man, are you ready to GET HYPED? I sure hope so, because you are going to be soooo hyped after you hear about this!

It is everything you've ever wanted. All of your worldly desires balled up into one really, really great Unreal package. You have always had a deep longing to create narrative driven single player content for Unreal, but up until now there was no good generic way to set up dialogue. The darkest desires from the bottom of your heart have called for you to set up complex puzzles and scripted cutscenes, but it couldn't be done without a titanic effort. Even in your wildest fantasies where you envisioned a point and click style of sequence, perhaps for the whole map, or perhaps just a short sequence in the middle of a map, you knew it was unfeasible. It couldn't be done. At least, not without some poor sap doing all the hard work for you.

But it is a dream no longer! Everything you wanted is here. All of it. Well, not coop support. But everything else really. Some poor sap did all the hard work.

Introducing firetrucks:

• Dialogue? We got it.
  • A detailed Journal that can display images and store messages for later? Got that too.
  • Cutscenes? All you want.
  • Fiddly point and click stuff? Yep.
  • Tons of new triggers and even a deterministic finite automata suite to allow for complex sequences with NO extra code? We have it all!

But that's old news. I mean really, firetrucks came out like a year ago. Why talk about it now? Because the final version of firetrucks (version 1.2) is on the way and will arrive soon!

It includes new features like extra triggers, and also a ton of bug fixes that should have been there from the beginning but the piss poor coders didn't do appropriate testing! Better late than never right?

I can tell you are totally bursting with hype right now, but keep your pants on because it will be out on June 20th (or your money back). But not a moment sooner than that!

But wait! There's more! If you've been hiding under your floorboards this whole time and missed it all, there was an extra pack for firetrucks some time ago called trashbag. It added a lot of bits and bobs to make firetrucks even more fun! It is being updated too with some adjustments to various things and a couple more stunningly beautiful art assets.

If you have it within you to get stoked for an awesome package for creating truly unforgettable single player campaigns in 227, then now is the time.

If you just can't wait to see it in action, or use it for your own endeavors, version 1.1 can be downloaded here along with the documentation. The update will be 100% backwards compatible with the current live version, so you can map without fear.

I'd also like to get some tutorials up for it's usage. No ETA on that, sorry.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014, 10:28

firetrucks sounds amazing, ebd!!!

I really think this could result in wonderful story-driven SP campaigns if the community gets cracking with it.

I myself would actually love to use this eventually. I'm currently (on and off because of irl stuff) working on the development of my first project ever for UT (essentially an SP map), which I hope will bring my mapping skills to a certain desired level. After that, I'd like to look into mapping for Unreal 227 and specifically this. Tutorials would be very welcome :)

Thank you for producing this anyhow, it is a dream come true and more in a way, I never even began to dream about the possibilities offered here! I actually played Deus Ex (one of my favourite games ever) and what stopped me from considering doing custom stuff with it was the fact that all the stock art assets were too tied to a very strong narrative (and I didn't want to touch the original lore) - with Unreal (and UT), things are more left to your imagination as there's no strong official storyline to begin with.

Cheers!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014, 17:57

There are tutorials on http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks ;)

I have plans to use this for a small campaign eventually, but 'tis a secret my lieges, 'tis a secret...

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014, 18:25

^Thanks SteadZ! :D (I hadn't bothered to check as ebd talked about getting some tutorials up.)
Looking forward to whatever you plan on doing with this stuff :tup:

(I wonder what Radi's up to...)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Previous Next