Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Skaarj Queen Low-Res Texture Nightmare

Post your fan fiction & fan art threads here.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

ZotSindi
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Skaarj Queen Low-Res Texture Nightmare

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 12:51

Does anyone even know what the Skaarj Queen is even supposed to be?

I'm trying to make a character design of one but I can't tell what the f*** is going on with her face, is that .. A beak? An evil toothy grin? A dog-like nose? A veil or gasmask of some sort?

I'm also having a hard time telling if she is wearing armor or not, I can definitely see there's like shoulderpads and even a "Dracula Cape Ruff" going on there, the whole tophalf texture cuts off inexplicably at the legs, telling me it's a vest of some sort.

Oh yeah, and are those eight... Spike looking thing really supposed to be breasts, or are they electrified metallic cones of some sort? I really have no idea what is going with this model.

ZotSindi
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Re: Skaarj Queen Low-Res Texture Nightmare

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 13:43

Using a basic unlit reference.

No shading, or anything much else but a simple rough draft and a color experiment.

I had to fill in the blanks when it came to facial features.

I suppose it worked well enough, but I still don't know what's going on with her face in the reference.

Her anatomy is a huge pain in the ass to draw properly, it's hard to get those proportions/curves right without looking off.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 15:06

I think her face should be insectoid and monstrous, nowhere as human as in your picture. Like, instead of having a mouth with tusks as you've drawn, I believe it's more like a pair of pincers.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 19:56

Yeah it's really kind of a clusterfuck at that resolution, but I'm 100% sure she has absolutely no human features at all aside from eyes and mouth in vaguely proportional locations. There probably would be no lips, no nose, and no features to give expression around the eyes (like eyebrows or musculature). The Skaarj Queen epitomizes the alien form in Unreal, as far I'm concerned.

The breast-like cones probably only share a likeness to breasts as far as looks and nothing more. Considering she shoots plasma pulses out of them, I'd say they aren't for nursing :P And the Skaarj seem to be a very insectoid race anyway, not the kind that has mammalian live births and nursing after the fact. If I were you, I'd look at close-ups of insects like wasps, flies, mantids, etc. Or electron micrograms of really small organisms like tardigrades and dust mites.

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011, 13:26

sana wrote:I think her face should be insectoid and monstrous, nowhere as human as in your picture. Like, instead of having a mouth with tusks as you've drawn, I believe it's more like a pair of pincers.

Or maybe they are a pair of mandibles, just like on an insect:

(Courtesy of Wikipedia)
StalwartUK

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 20:51

Wow great drawing,and great idea :D
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Nali Nemisis
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012, 05:25

Cool drawing. Seeing you draw the skaarj queen makes me remember the first time i tried to draw her. But i didn't really recreate her as much. Don't think i'm a noob drawer, i'd said i'm good enough. I rarley use sketches but i think i should stick to doing that.
And as far as her mouth/veil goes, give her a mouth without human like lips and give her long fang like teeth, that's what i did when i still sketched skaarj.