Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

The Limbo Difficulty Mutator for Old Skool

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: The Limbo Difficulty Mutator for Old Skool

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 06:23

Limbo Difficulty Mod V 1.1

I've been working on this for the past month now, and it's finally complete! This is a Mutator for OldSkool Amp'd that adjusts the difficulty beyond 'Unreal' skill as much as you desire. Custom maps are supported. You can change the settings using the mod window on the fly. If you want to change the difficulty in the middle of an episode, you can! The difficulty values can use decimals, and you can adjust individual properties, like health, speed, projectile speed, damage, etc. I've tested this extensively, but if anyone finds any bugs, let me know! Also, let me know if you feel anything is imbalanced, like a monster that is more powerful than the others and shouldn't be. I had to make individual balance formulas for each monster. :)

Update on April 2nd, 2009
I fixed a minor bug for version 1.1. I noticed that if you set the damagescale value below 1.0, some projectiles would do less damage than they would in Unreal skill. This was not intended, as anything above a value of '0' should make the game harder, not easier.

Download Here

Alternative Download Link

The Readme File:

Release Date: March 26th, 2009
================================================================
Title :Limbo Difficulty Mutator
Game :Unreal Tournament
Author :Lightning Hunter
Email Address :LightningHunter at Hotmail dot com (e-mail spelled out to trick spam bots)
Where to Download :UnrealSP.org
Short Description :Mutator for OldSkool Amp'd that adjusts the difficulty beyond 'Unreal' skill as much as you desire.

HUGE Thanks to the following people who helped me develop this mutator; I couldn't have done it without them!

-UsAaR33, for giving me guidance almost every step of the way! This mutator would be a steaming pile of dog crap without him.
-Waffnuffly, for the Nightmare mutator this idea was originally based on. Thanks goes to him for some of the balance formulas!
-Asgard15000, for giving me the tiny bit of code that got this entire mod started! It wouldn't have launched without him.
-Raven, for taking some time to look at my screwed up UWindow code.

Mutator Description
Many of the UT players today find Unreal Single Player to be far too easy - even on the highest skill. This is a difficulty mutator aimed at solving this problem for all players. By adding the Limbo Mutator to the Old Skool Amp'd mutator list, any Single Player map will be given an instant difficulty boost. It can be further adjusted to be harder or easier using the "Limbo Difficulty Settings" Mod window. With this window, you can change the difficulty of any Single Player map on the fly. The settings can be easily adjusted to fit the skill of just about any player. If you so desire, you can make the game impossible! Custom Maps are supported. There is also a file included for Return To Na Pali, so if you play RTNP (or a map that uses RTNP enemies), then adding the extension in the mutator window will add support for those levels.

Features
-Ability to adjust the skill beyond 'Unreal' by simply adding the mutator to the Old Skool list
-Easily adjustable difficulty settings using the Limbo Mod Window.
-Mod Window that adjusts individual Monster properties, like health, damage, speed, projectile speed, etc.
-Support for custom Maps. As long as the map uses Unreal Monsters or Subclasses of the Unreal Monsters (which nearly 99% of them do), then it is supported.
-Return to Na Pali support, as well as any custom map that uses RTNP monsters.
-Ability to change settings on the fly. If you get half way through the Unreal Episode and decide the game is too easy or too hard, then simply open the Mod Window at any time and change the difficulty settings!
Note: Some settings will be changed instantly - like the damage a monster inflicts and the speed of projectiles - but the health of a monster will remain the same until the next map is loaded, or the current map is restarted.

Installation
1. Extract the .ZIP archive to the Unreal Tournament folder, and all the files will go to the right place automatically. If you want to manually drag them over, then simply drag the files ending in .INI and .U to the UnrealTournament\System folder.

2. In Unreal Tournament, go to "Options", then "Old Skool Configuration". Click on the "Options" Tab, and then click the "SP Mutators" button. Click "Yes" to ignore the warning. Find "Unreal: Limbo" in the list, and double click it, or drag it over to the panel on the right.

That's it! You may now start a new single Player game using Old Skool on any map with the Limbo Mutator. Choose 'Unreal' difficulty, or else this mod is somewhat pointless. :P

To change the difficulty settings, go to "Mod", and find "Limbo Difficulty Settings". Any number above "0" will increase the difficulty setting above 'Unreal' Skill. Decimals can be used, so "0.1" will give the game a very slight difficulty boost, for example. The default value of "1.0" was the perfect setting for me personally to play through the Unreal Episode, and is recommended for Veterans. Just remember though, you can change the difficulty values at any time! Some settings will change instantly, while others will change at the next level or at a restart of the current level.

About the RTNP Extension
The file "LimboRTNP.u" adds support for the Return To Na Pali Monsters. To use it, add "Unreal: Limbo RTNP Extension" in the SP Mutator list, alongside "Unreal: Limbo" mutator. Make sure you have them BOTH in the list! You MUST have Upak.u in the UnrealTournament\System Folder for the RTNP extension to work! This file comes with Return To Na Pali, or any custom map that uses RTNP monsters.

Permissions and Copyright info

This mutator is full open to the public to modify and release. If someone has an idea that will enhance this mutator, give it a shot! Let me know so I can make it more official!

-Lightning Hunter
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 03 Apr 2009, 23:53, edited 10 times in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 13:13

Looks fantastic :) I'll give this a shot next time I play through some normal Unreal SP stuff.

Did you base the 1.000000 value on Nightmare Easy or Medium or did you find it was a better balance / somewhere between?

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 15:43

Waffnuffly wrote:Looks fantastic :) I'll give this a shot next time I play through some normal Unreal SP stuff.

Did you base the 1.000000 value on Nightmare Easy or Medium or did you find it was a better balance / somewhere between?

It is mostly based on easy skill level for nightmare, but with a few changes here and there. Some projectiles might be a bit slower by default, and a few monsters might have slightly more or less health by default. Titans actually had less health in your Nightmare mutator than they did in the default Unreal skill! This is because Unreal Skill already multiplies their health by a certain number (not sure what). Because your mutator was launched on easy skill, they had less health, even after what you added to it. Titans now have a little more health than Unreal skill, but nothing that's impossible. I believe the Queen and Warlord may have had the same bug in Nightmare.

I couldn't just take the balance formulas straight from the Nightmare Mutator, because every weapon deals different damage in Unreal skill than Easy. Because my Mutator is based on Unreal skill, all the values had to be changed. I literally had to count the amount of times it took to shoot certain monsters to kill them in your Nightmare 'Easy' mutator - or figure out the new damage dealt by certain weapons. It was a much longer process than I ever anticipated. :)
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 27 Mar 2009, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 18:28

I might be able to host the file for you here LH - although hosting here comes with no guarantee of any kind.
Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 18:29

Hellscrag wrote:I might be able to host the file for you here LH - although hosting here comes with no guarantee of any kind.

That would be great. Any host would be more reliable than the ones I have them on right now. :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 18:36

Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 18:50

Primary download link updated. Thanks Hellscrag!

So, is anyone actually interested in this mutator? If nobody else uses it, I guess I'll just hog it all for myself. :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 20:11

I sign! :o
Seriously, the normal Unreal difficulty is becoming downright pathetic now. Can't wait to try it in EXU2.
Great work.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 21:13

UBerserker wrote:I sign! :o
Seriously, the normal Unreal difficulty is becoming downright pathetic now. Can't wait to try it in EXU2.
Great work.

Let me know how it works. The difficulty levels you can choose with this mutator are endless. I dare someone to beat Unreal with a value of "5" for all increases except maybe health (there isn't enough ammo in the game to do that much damage!).

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 21:52

Lightning Hunter wrote:Let me know how it works. The difficulty levels you can choose with this mutator are endless. I dare someone to beat Unreal with a value of "5" for all increases except maybe health (there isn't enough ammo in the game to do that much damage!).

Dispersion Pistol B|

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009, 21:55

Waffnuffly wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:Let me know how it works. The difficulty levels you can choose with this mutator are endless. I dare someone to beat Unreal with a value of "5" for all increases except maybe health (there isn't enough ammo in the game to do that much damage!).

Dispersion Pistol B|

That gets boring really fast... :P

Actually... Kind of gives me an idea for a future extension. I can always add a value to increase the amount of ammo each pick up gives you. This way, you can put extreme values in the mod window and have the ammo to deal with the difficulty. :o

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 11:10

I played through Attacked! using the Limbo mutator. I just set it on mild (about a value of 0.5), and it was just about perfect. I still had excess ammo the entire adventure, but the difficulty seemed about right. I decided not to give Skaarj Snipers a boost in the Limbo mutator if the values are 1.0 or below, and I'm glad I did that. It would be too unfair if all the Snipers in the user made packs such as this took 3 or more headshots to kill. The last little stretch before the end of the map would have been nearly impossible with those accurate snipers on the roof if they were any harder. They already give you zero reaction time!

I must commend you again on Attacked, Waff. I'm sure I commented on it back in the day, but it really is fun. It's been so long since I played it that I've forgotten most of it. The last few maps are worth the entire experience. One of my favorite themes is outdoor areas with Mine sections mixed in. All the Tanks, Destroyers, Orcas, etc. made it even more awesome. The Mammoth tanks were so sweet in Command & Conquer that there is no other tank I was more excited about seeing in your pack. I'm pretty sure I sat there and stared at them as long as I did the first time I played the pack. :D

By the way, did I detect a reference to Secret of Mana? When you kill the Energy Titan, it says, "Energy Titan gets Wacked!" If it is a reference, then I'm happy someone else likes that game. 8)

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 17:21

haha, thanks. And yeah that was the reference you thought it was. :)

If you liked those ancient ass vehicles I made, you will really like the stuff I'm throwing into EXU :p

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 17:57

I like this limbo mutator idea :tup:

Unfortunatly, If a pack is not UT dependent I will always load it up in U1 (personal preference). I wonder if this could be easily ported to the Unreal UWindow?

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 18:35

You can add another download link: http://turniej.unreal.pl/pliki/mutatory/Limbo.zip :)
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

Next