A random sentence for a random mind.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 06:00

[Edit] Demo 4 time fuckshits! Go to the Demo 4 thread this one is deeeeeeeeeeead!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Warning: Excessive Unreal is not suitable for anyone.

Contents:
[1] Downloads, Videos, Screenshots, Etc.
[2] News and Changes
[3] IMPORTANT! Known Bugs
[4] Features
[5] Installation
[6] Configuration
[7] Multiplayer Usage
[8] What the Shit is This Mod
[9] Story?!?! WHAT
[10] Contact

FileFront is back? It seems so! But I could still use some more reliable primary download mirrors...

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3 FULL v4 (120MB):
Includes all previous patch material. If this is your first download, this is all you need!

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3 Patch v3 to v4 (30MB):
Contains BIG changes to Easy and Medium to make the game much softer on newcomers. Patch Notes

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3 Patch v2 to v3 (32MB):
Post or email me if you still need this. Patch Notes

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3 Patch v1 to v2 (5MB):
Post or email me if you still need this. Patch Notes

Required Files:

Monsterspawn 303 with Pre-Configured EXU Monster List (133kb):

EXU1 Repack - Latest version of EXU1, all in one place (64.8MB):
Dear god don't download this miserable pile of shit

Other Incredibly Exciting Media (not really):

Image . . Image . . Image

Image . . Image . . Image

The Latest Batch of Shit: [1-3-10]

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Videos:

DISCORDULATOR STATUS: SOMETHING
Normally up from 5:30PM - 10PM EST (i.e. when I'm not at work)

http://www.livestream.com/discordulator?t=345277

The Discordulator is a new dumb thing I'm doing to force me to actually get shit done by putting up a live stream of my desktop for any pervert to view for any reason. You can tune in as long as the Discordulator is active. I'll tend to keep it active when I'm actually doing stuff (shutting it down when I take a shower or go to the grocery store or whatever). Keep in mind this will probably be a major source of spoilers from time to time, as I don't always limit myself to working on immediate things!

I also can't figure out how to disable sound on it, so if you don't want to hear my music or the cacophany of EXU playtesting, you can mute the stream or just not watch! Up to you dawg

[3-21-09] A request: help me find new sources of audio! I'm trying to reduce EXU's reliance on ripped assets from other games so I can distribute it more widely, treat it more professionally, and just generally not worry so much about getting sued into oblivion for using so many damn sound effects from other games. See this post for more details. I really need help finding free sound libraries and/or cheapo royalty-free stuff and ESPECIALLY music. If you're a musician and you want to help work on EXU's soundscape for your portfolio, feel free to drop me a line!

== News Archive ==

• Batshit Insane: The extro map crashes on D3D8/9. This has been fixed for the upcoming Demo 4.
  • Batshit Insane: HUD icon numbers are still small. This is because UA hasn't made a digitfactory for them to scale yet; this will be fixed sooner or later.
  • Batshit Insane: Nasty HOM early in Map 8 when you look to the left in a certain area. There is an enemy here that may be watching when you approach it, so watch out; you won't be able to see it as easily.
  • Batshit Insane: Certain triggers designed to kill monsters sometimes fuck up, allowing some to survive. It will be really obvious when this happens. I'm not sure how to fix it, but it's hardly a serious issue.
  • The Contact Beam's particle effects aren't fully complete.
  • The Shitgun's alt canisters don't work quite right underwater. (Fixed for Demo 4)
  • There are some misc. audiovisual issues with weapons/effects in coop. (Massive netcode improvements in Demo 4)
  • Map 15 crashes in coop because of some discord with movers/skyzoneinfos (Fixed for Demo 4)
  • *** If you encounter anything not on this list, let me know ASAP!

• Absolutely chaotic gameplay of the highest caliber
  • Demo 3 comes with 15 playable campaign maps and a mostly-complete intro/menu map
  • Maps are extremely-heavily-modified Unreal/RTNP maps, set in Hell, with new twists
  • An entire arsenal of new, absurdly-powerful weapons
  • Dozens of special inventory items and Battle Flares™
  • Hundreds of new monster varieties
  • Coop support with unique/tons of extra monsters
  • Thoroughly-tested, well-polished SP gameplay
  • Breathtaking/scenic Hellscapes
  • Tons of custom sounds, music, and textures
  • Complete multiplayer support via mutators
  • Lots of other really stupid stuff!

Weapons:

• The Extractor: An industrial mining vacuum that sucks the guts out of enemies at point-blank range. It also has a sniper scope. Yeah.
  • The Piddledoper: A faithful, rapid-fire pistol with recharging ammo.
  • The Shitgun: A riot weapon that sprays, you guessed it, beanbags. Err, I mean, shit.
  • The Energy AR: A powerful, accurate laser rifle with bolts that can pierce multiple enemies.
  • The Hyper Flakker: A very powerful energy weapon that can clean out entire rooms with ease.
  • The Hell Gun: A demonic pulse rifle with a defensive area-blast alt fire.
  • The Contact Beam: An energy weapon just like the one in Dead Space. Charge it to fire super-powered insta-hit beams of energy, or unleash a powerful shockwave to scatter enemies.
  • The Clusterfucker: An area-saturation weapon / nanite seeker missile launcher in one.
  • The RFPC (Rapid-Fire Plasma Cannon): Supremely wonderful plasma cannon.
  • The EXU Shotty: A combat shotgun from Hell with superior shredding abilities.
  • The LRPC (Long-Range Plasma Cannon): A hand-held anti-starship artillery piece. Seriously.
  • The Translocator: From UT. Allows you to telefrag enemies and explore out-of-reach areas.

EXU2: Batshit Insane:

1. Install UT Patch 436, UT Bonus Pack 4, (if you haven't for some reason) and Oldskool Amp'd v239. Instructions are included with each... if you actually need them.
  2. Unpack EXU2-BI-Demo3.rar to your \UnrealTournament\ directory. Ensure you have your archiver program of choice set up to preserve the folder structure from the archive; otherwise, you'll have to manually move files to their proper locations. Open EXU2-Files List.txt to see where all your files should go if you misplaced any.
  3. Start UT. You should see an "Activate Oldskool" button somewhere if you have just installed it. Do this.
  4. Go to New Singleplayer Game and select EXU2: Batshit Insane from the dropdown list. Select it and click start. BAM, YOU ARE IN

For use in UT games:

1. Install MonsterSpawn and edit MonsterSpawn.ini to your preferences. Feel free to browse the EXU changelog or summons list to see what sounds like fun and add it to your MonsterSpawn.ini.
  2. Start a practice session and open the Mutators window. Load in whatever you fancy, but be sure to add the MonsterSpawn mutator; otherwise, no creatures will appear.
  3. You can also mix and match mutators or use some of EXU's other mutators, such as EXU Weapon Modifier (which replaces UT weapons with EXU variants). If you do this, I recommend you also use EXU Health Charger so you stand a chance against bots and EXU creatures.
  4. Start the game. You should have waves of monsters spawning in according to your MonsterSpawn.ini settings. You can also scale their health and damage there.

For use in non-EXU SP games:

1. Though it would more-than-likely make almost any SP map way too easy (or hard), you can play with EXU stuff in SP too using Oldskool's SP Mutators. Go to your Oldskool properties.
  2. On the Singleplayer tab, mash the SP Mutators button (mash it hard). Load whatever mutators you desire, but be aware of how fucked up the SP maps will probably become as a result.
  3. Start a new game and select whichever map or map pack you want to play. The mutators you selected should be loaded and modify the gameplay--for better or for worse.

Uninstallation:

Just delete the files listed in the Files List. EXU shouldn't dump any crap in your UnrealTournament.ini or User.ini, but if it does, it is harmless.

The manual has a ton of info about this. The main things you want to be sure to do, though, are:

1. Note that the stock D3D renderer WILL NOT WORK with EXU; update to D3D8 or OpenGL, both of which are included. (Or you could use D3D9, 10, or even 11 I think is out now, damn.) This is because the stock D3D renderer sucks balls and cannot handle 512x512 textures (which is fucking retarded; even the SOFTWARE RENDERER can do that).
  2. Configure your renderer settings according to the UTGLR settings page or by using my own OpenGL settings on Page 2
  3. Note that RMusicPlayer has its own Volume Controller. It's under the Mod menu item from the main UT menu.
  4. Do not use FMOD if you have music/audio problems. Use Galaxy instead. Not helping? Contact me and I'll see what I can do!
  5. Bind keys to cycle inventory with Oldskool
  6. Bind a key to use inventory
  7. Ensure the default (+ and -) keys for increasing and decreasing the HUD are bound
  8. Bind Quicksave and Quickload to a key
  9. Set up your renderer to make sure everything looks nice and runs smoothly; set appropriate brightness, mouse sensitivity, etc. This page is good for setting up OpenGL or D3D8: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
  10. Be sure to check out the Technical Testing >> Particle Systems room in the menu map and adjust your particle density if you get bad performance in there
  11. *** I also strongly recommend you disable Permanent Decals and Permanent Carcasses unless you have a PC made within the last couple of years! When stuff piles up, you can seriously lag your machine to a crawl.

For more detailed info such as minimum and recommended specs and troubleshooting, check the manual.

Batshit Insane is just the singleplayer campaign. EXU2 in general is designed to be used in almost any gametype imaginable since it includes several flexible mutators:

• EXU Replace: Swaps items, armor, health
  • EXU Weapon Modifier: Swaps guns, ammo
  • EXU Health Recharger: Health auto-recharges (up to 300)
  • EXU: 'Deemer to LRPC: Replace the Redeemer with the LRPC
  • EXU: 'Deemer to Screamer: Replace the Redeemer with the Screamer Missile Launcher
  • EXU: UDamage to PentaPower: Replace the Damage Amp with PentaPower
  • EXU Nightmare: Make standard, non-EXU singleplayer maps EXU-like
  • EXU Pinata: Enemies drop weapons / health on death

For more detail about these mutators, check out the included Manual. Really, though, these mutators should be pretty self-explanatory. For optimal MP experience, I recommend using EXU Replace, EXU Weapon Modifier, EXU Health Charger, Monsterspawn, and EXU: 'Deemer to LRPC.

EXU, which stands for Excessive Unreal, is the broadest term possible that refers to this... thing I've created. EXU1 is an absurd singleplayer campaign set in heavily-modified Unreal 1 maps, featuring massive hordes of fucked up creatures, bizarre scripted sequences, and the hilariously overpowered Excessive UT weapon arsenal, which is where the mod gets its name. EXU1 is fun in its own way, but is old and dusty compared to EXU2.

EXU2 is based on the same premises as EXU1--tons of insanity, overpowered guns, hordes of monsters, etc.--but with a, uh, higher quality level and lots more attention to detail, polish, and an actual story. All new weapons, HUNDREDS of new creatures, and EXTREMELY-heavily-modified Unreal maps are what EXU2: Batshit Insane has to offer.

That's another thing: EXU2 is both a single-player campaign (EXU2: Batshit Insane) AND a heavily-customizable multiplayer-and-singleplayer-compatible creature, gun, health, and item mod. You can either play straight through the Batshit Insane campaign, or you can load up a game of UT with MonsterSpawn and have all kinds of hilarity ensue with EXU2's monsters, weapons, and/or items. The included text files contain excruciating detail about how to set all of these things up; I recommend you take a look at them if you are confused.

Somehow, you wind up aboard a wreckage that happens to look a whole lot like the Vortex Rikers--yeah, you know, that prison ship that crash-landed on an alien world centuries ago?--but something's obviously wrong with it, because there are... things... in it that weren't there before. Things that look rather demonic. And they are pissed off.

As you come to, you find out that you must have gone to Hell, which is the only reasonable way to explain why everything that moves now wants to kill you. So you try to figure out just why the hell Hell is as fucked up as it is, and why you are strangely able to find powerful weapons, ammunition, and items to assist you.

Once you get outside, you see Hell in all its fiery, demonic glory. And oh boy is it full of nasty little critters that just want to ruin your day--but will you let that happen? FUCK NO, you have some guns and shit! Time to... uh... well, fight your way out of Hell, I guess. What other choice do you have? What do you have to lose? And who are those other people shooting demons with high-tech weaponry?

GOOD QUESTION!

It's up to you to stay alive long enough to figure out what's going on and, if possible, escape. Or at least find a nice butte or strategically-viable place to set up a fortress for eternity, provided you figure out a way to grow some of that weird fruit...

Also, according to this bot:
<Gundy> i need time to see, my kg is frozen because exu;s story is like shodan talking about eyooogh!!!

• Email: waffnuffly at the gmails of the dots and the com
  • IRC: You can meet me in #EXU2 on irc.synirc.net or stop by UnreapSP.org's chat thing, which I hang out in often.
  • Website: http://exu.netfirms.com is the ancient EXU1 website. A modern EXU2 website is on the way; this old site will be updated with a redirect once that happens!

You can email me at any time with EXU questions, comments, flames, or anything else. If it's related to the mod, could you do me a favor and put "EXU" somewhere in the subject line? That'd be grand, thanks.

Or, if you prefer the more direct approach, you may discharge the orbital weaponry of your choice above Athens, Georgia, USA. Depending on the munitions, you may or may not reach me immediately, but I should take notice if nukes or giant tungsten rods start landing around my apartment.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, thanks for your support, and I hope you enjoy this loathsome, vile, horrible abomination! Let me know what you think!
- Lord Waffnuffly "War Bonnet" Letz
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 25 Jul 2010, 07:37, edited 132 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 13:45

Dear god, it's finally here. I'll have to get my new HD to work though, before playing this hell.
ImageImage

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 14:05

Already downloading... 75 % .. slow download mirror. But whatever. :)
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 14:09

2 more mirrors are up; I'm gonna start throwing it at whatever else sticks while I scramble to write this paper due tomorrow

THERE BETTER NOT BE ANY DAMNED GAME-BREAKING BUGS LEFT >:E

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 14:52

Oh man.. I died already in the first level after that "Serious Sam" joke.. on easy.. a little bit to difficult for me ... with this mod I don`t feel like an amatuer player.. more rather like a totally noob who never played a FPS game. :?

I want a Tourist difficulty :B

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 15:18

First tip: Don't rush in your paths. Lure thy enemies to your little and conquered part of hell.

Second tip: Mind the exploration of hell and you'll get more goodies.

Third tip: Yes, it's a freaking f***ing hard journey. Just don't give up early! :wink:
Last edited by UB_ on 10 Feb 2009, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 15:18

Heh, I think maybe I forgot to filter that Psycho Maint. Brute and replace it with a regular one... and just to check, you started the game from the menu map, went down the Easy tunnel (0), and started the game and there was a Shieldbelt right? Just want to ensure the gameinfo bugs are all gone.

Creavion, what do you need most where you are? Health or armor?

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 15:26

Less enemies in the first level(s), I often stucked in some cramped areas as like the place where the "Kevlar" suit is located or the room before that "Oh my god.. " door where the player has to wait. It was a simple thing for the enemies to crush me down in some seconds while it was not possible for me anymore to move a bit. I really guess that the beginning is really a little bit hard. I dont think it is a health or ammo thing, it is just "to many enemies on to less space". Well, my opinion ...

And yearh there was that 1000 point shield belt at the beginning.
Last edited by Creavion on 10 Feb 2009, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 15:27

OK, I'll take care of that and reduce the numbers on Easy for sure. Thanks :)

For now, just summon some EXU.EXUArmor or EXU.EXUBox if you are low on health or armor. If you just want to play through it, this will help with the first level, which IS rather hard. Soon as you get the Shitgun, everything gets much easier.

Loke
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 19:05

When I came out of the Vortex Rikers, into the wilderness, I was like "You've got to be fucking kidding!".

Fun mod though! :D

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 19:09

Glad you like it!

Also guys, I just found a few minor things which I fixed, so I'm uploading a small patch for you. I'm also going to re-upload the entire package for new downloaders so they won't need this. Also, I realized when someone pointed out to me that the full package doesn't have subfolders, which is very dumb! So I am going to ensure the new full version package has them. :P

Changes for this little v2 patch:
* Filtered out some of the Psycho Maint./Security/Assault Brutes in Maps 1 and 2
* Replaced the Fuckoff Mercenary with a Fuckoff Krall in Map 2 for Easy and Medium only
* Fixed a little something in Map 11, nothing major but it is still important
* Fixed a little bit of nonessential code in EXU.u which made Hint Barrels blink like Translator Logs

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 19:39

"Rammstein - Feuer Frei.mp3"
Ah fuck, I can't believe you've done this.

Will commence playing later, let's see how this turned out!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 19:52

I will, no doubt, try this at some point... but I must admit to feeling some trepidation. Part of me says choose Easy to avoid frustration, but part of me says that I shouldn't go lower than Medium if I really want to sample EXU2's true greatness...

EDIT: This is possibly the most professionally designed project thread I've ever seen, well done. 8)
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 20:02

Oh god, the intro level is AMAZING. I've never seen UT as polished as this and I love how you change the feeling of the entire game with details such as using different fonts alone. The map decoration is great, the evil castle skybox area is beautiful (in a twisted way) and the training exercises are lovingly detailed (I especially like the brutes at the counters!). You have my respect! A mod to redux this old game in a way that makes it feel polished and fresh was my biggest UT-related wish, and it looks just like EXU is just what I've been looking for. I haven't even completely gone through the intro and I already love it!

However I detected a first bug. If you hold Fire/Altfire while the quadshot finishes shooting, the gun freezes and you can't attack anymore until you throw it away.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009, 20:07

Auegh, sounds like a nasty bug. Does this happen no matter how much ammo you have, or only when you run out completely? The EXU Shotty isn't actually used in Demo 3's SP aside from the Firing Range, though, so it's not critical, but I'll see if I can replicate and fix that. Thanks sana! And thanks for the kind words about the intro; I put a lot of effort into it (and it's still far from complete); I'm glad it shows.

Next