UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[ut] [RELEASED] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [ut] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 08:11

Option 3. Like in the original RTNP, too. That's the most handy solution for players.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 08:35

editor Dave wrote:Option 3. Like in the original RTNP, too. That's the most handy solution for players.

I just need to figure out how to set up such an option. Is there a commandline to use in a batch file that runs UT with a specific game folder?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 11:26

I have no notion of batch files, but I think, the most comfortable way would be a batch file, which duplicates your UnrealTournament.ini, changes some properties like console or player class or map folder and then starts UT with the new ini:
UnrealTournament.exe -ini=MyNewIni.ini

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 11:38

integration wrote:I have no notion of batch files, but I think, the most comfortable way would be a batch file, which duplicates your UnrealTournament.ini, changes some properties like console or player class or map folder and then starts UT with the new ini:
UnrealTournament.exe -ini=MyNewIni.ini

Yeah, that sounds like a good method to use. How would I get the batch file to change individual properties of the INI file? I'm not sure that's possible.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 11:47

Option 3 for sure
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 11:55

Option 3 if you can find out how. Option 2 as a close second.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 22:00

Duplicate the Unreal Tournament ini file, rename it, do the aforementioned startup modification to the shortcut, then change LocalMap= right at the top of the .ini to the RtNP flyby, then go down to the [Engine.Engine] section just below that and change Console= to whatever console class you want to use. Given, I'm not entirely sure how well this will go over for some people. I'd suggest using a fresh UT install's .ini file (or a fresh one with 436 patch applied, if there are any differences), and then make the above changes, so that they can configure the RtNP .ini independently from UT's defaults. Then make the shortcut what you need it to be. Also, in the same .ini, make changes like this to the [Core.System] section:

Paths=../System/*.u
    Paths=../Maps/*.unr
    Paths=../Textures/*.utx
    Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
    Paths=../Music/*.umx

Should be changed to:
    Paths=../System/*.u
    Paths=../7Bullets/System/*.u
    Paths=../7Bullets/Maps/*.unr
    Paths=../Textures/*.utx
    Paths=../7Bullets/Textures/*.utx
    Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
    Paths=../7Bullets/Sounds/*.uax
    Paths=../7Bullets/Music/*.umx

Of course, change the 7Bullets to whatever sub-folder of the UT directory you wish. After that, put this pack's personal packages where they need to be inside maps, system, textures, sounds, and music folders. After that, it should all work out. I wouldn't be the least surprised if I missed something, so try it out and see if it works for you.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 22:33

A prepared INI in the download would change all your graphic settings like resolution, graphic/audio drivers and Direct3D values. I would rather like being told, which 5 lines I have to change by myself than having to reconfigure all those settings afterwards.

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 22:47

integration wrote:A prepared INI in the download would change all your graphic settings like resolution, graphic/audio drivers and Direct3D values. I would rather like being told, which 5 lines I have to change by myself than having to reconfigure all those settings afterwards.

I agree. Having the original UnrealTournament.ini duplicated and modified is the best option, although we still don't know how that's possible. I'm not sure that is possible without writing a new .exe file, which I know nothing about.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011, 23:57

Oh yeah, are the intermissions still present here?
ImageImage

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 00:58

I was looking at the end battle with the Warlord, and I honestly believe it was a huge mistake that it uses EndEx for the battle music. I'm going to change this to Mountain Section 1, as Hellscrag talked about in his music article. Also, I was thinking about changing the end music (as you walk to the escape ship) to UnrealS.umx from the Unreal 95 Tech Demo. As soon as I launched this track the other day, it made me think of ending music. I like it a lot, and it doesn't fit anything else. Any opinions on this?

UBerserker wrote:Oh yeah, are the intermissions still present here?

Yes.

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 02:52

I think UnrealS.umx would be a great alternative for the end music. IMO EndEx seemed rather mundane as the ending section for RtNP because it was also used as end music for Unreal. Seemed repetitive. UnrealS is a great and exciting song, I've only heard it from the CD that came with the strategy guide. I approve! \o/
Image Image

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 10:40

I figure, this is not really the true version of rtnp. This isn't setting out to say, fix up all the bugs and leave the core experience unchanged. This is rtnp; reimagined. With that in mind, take your creative license the whole way, go nuts and do whatever! Change everything :D
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 11:49

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I figure, this is not really the true version of rtnp. This isn't setting out to say, fix up all the bugs and leave the core experience unchanged. This is rtnp; reimagined. With that in mind, take your creative license the whole way, go nuts and do whatever! Change everything :D

Well, I still want to keep RTNP intact the way it's supposed to be. Basically, I'm just changing small things here and there to make it more polished, which is how it should have been in the first place. I have a feeling the entire project was rushed somewhere near the end to meet a deadline. There are many overlooked things that could have easily been fixed with more extensive playtesting. The music for the Warlord, for example, was probably not meant to be EndEx. This was most likely overlooked, like everything else. I just now spent another 6 hours aligning more textures. This time it was Glathriel1 and Glathriel2. I'm am so through with aligning textures for Matthias Worch levels! I did some lighting tweaks in Glathriel1, because I felt lots of the rock textures were ugly without bright corners. Here is the difference with lighting tweaks and texture alignments:

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 13:57

Please please please please please please change the skybox. Those extremely tiny, obviously tiling stars were the only thing that annoyed me about Glathriel Village...! Make the star texture bigger or something.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous Next