Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Project Zephon: Battle for Freedom 2.0 [RELEASED]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Project Zephon: Battle for Freedom 2.0 [RELEASED]

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010, 15:16

I'm glad to hear that :tup:
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

rikkihardy
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 16:07

2 years after my first encounter with PZ, the game still crashes every time, after the startup cinematic.
After the space ship crashes, I see "LOADING..."
Then I see my desktop with a message: "Unreal OSX quit unexpectedly"
Funny how I can use the console to jump into any of the other maps and complete the game from there on.
What is it with zp01-umssakuracrashsite.unr ?
I'm only asking the thing to start - I'll even put up with a fixed "medium" difficulty level.
For the record, my entire collection of about 20 other UT games works just fine.
Any help here? I'm using UT and OldSkool, by the way.
iMac i7 with Snow Leopard, or PowerBook G4 with Tiger.

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 16:25

Hm... I've never tested Zephon on a Mac, so I can't really say. Sorry, but I have no idea what could be causing this. I do have a Macbook at home, but I don't have the mac version of UnrealTournament.

So after the initial intro scene, the game crashes? I'm presuming that the intro plays out correctly, but before you can get into the first map the game crashes? Tell me something please: can you open the first level in the pack with a console command (open zp01-umssakuracrashsite.unr?difficulty=x)? You can replace the "X" with a number between 0 and 3, 0 being easy difficulty, and 3 being Unreal difficulty. You'll bypass the intro this way, but the game should work then. Unless the first level in the pack is responsible for crashing your game?
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:31

I had the same problem with the original release on my PC.
Life is what you make of it.

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:35

Wow, I completely missed that. Anyone else that has similar problems with the new version?
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:39

Nope.
Details are needed though.
ImageImage

rikkihardy
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010, 19:42

Thanks for the reply.
I'm pretty certain the first level in the pack is responsible for crashing the game.
At any rate, using the console to type in zp01-umssakura.unr?difficulty=0 doesn't work.
It just doesn't load.
I'll try again with other difficulty levels and let you know.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010, 21:55

Try leaving out the ".unr", and don't forget the "crashsite" part.

Life is what you make of it.

Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010, 22:01

Yes, you can also just try with the command "open zp01-umssakuracrashsite", without teh quotes of course. Should work as well :)
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010, 23:03

Well I'm super late to the party as usual, but I finally managed to play this over the past couple of days. I started out playing unpatched and found it extraordinarily boring, then switched to the patched version after getting sick of it at the end of the third map when, after no real resistance up until that point, an ASMD trooper kicked my ass.

Patched version: WOW what a difference! All the intro maps were a lot more fun to play, which was really good. Unfortunately the pack as a whole is seriously let down by the weaker maps - particularly Cardiologist's gigantic ones. I just felt they were waaaaay too big, too slow to progress through, and often had really ugly design or nonsensical layouts (and in many cases, bad geometry for AI - Skaarj and Mercs, especially in the Merc ship, would get stuck all over the place, which ruined the gameplay). These maps stuck out like a sore thumb and I really disliked them, sad to say. :/

The other maps all had their share of problems, too, but most of them made up for it with either decent gameplay, really good visuals, or both (as is the case with the Krall village, which might be my favorite map). I wanted to know more about what was going on with the Krall, though, story-wise, but the whole campaign really suffers from a lack of story development and the plot starts getting extremely disjointed and nonsensical in the last four or so maps. The improved writing was a welcome change from the horrible translator events in the unpatched version, but I still noticed a lot of grammatical and spelling issues, and a huge number of the messages were just so absurd or cliched (in the sense that I asked myself why someone would bother to write such things) that I just laughed, but that's how most video game writing is!

Level design in general was unexciting and fairly linear, even the maps which I recognized as CTF maps (derdak's especially). There was a ton of room-corridor-room antics and a lot of "go here to push a button to unlock a door somewhere else even though it doesn't really make much sense for a locking mechanism to be here" sorts of stuff. Par for the course, though. I noticed a lot of lazy mapper syndrome even in the high-detail maps, though, like items floating in midair (and gib chunks, too, and other things which should have been on the ground). Seems like there's a lot of polish missing from the pack.

W3, your map in particular I thought was very good; it had above average gameplay and the layout was interesting, even if still a bit strange. And while the visuals weren't the best in the pack, they were way above the worst, and I noticed a nice amount of attention to detail (like the burned up portions of the ship near hull breaches). The only issue I had with it was that one Skaarj in the vent behind the bars you couldn't shoot; what the hell was the deal with that? :P Probably should have been scripted to at least run away on sight or something.

So yeah, I'd say overall, the map is full of issues that make it less exceptional than it could be - especially the robots and cardio's maps and the weak story / nonsensical stuff (why was there a Skaarj installation right next to a human base, and how did no one notice?). I'd probably give it like a 60% overall score if I was doing a formal review or something but I'll just say that it had its moments, but seemed like kind of a letdown compared to what I expected.

But W3, you did a really good job patching the gameplay. Thanks for the hard work, because without it I wouldn't have even bothered to finish this pack :P

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 02:30

I also played through this recently and was coming here to post my opinion, but waff has seriously said everything I wanted to say plus a little bit more, so i'll just come in and say "fuck you" for beating me to it :P and "nice work" for managing to share my opinions at the same time :P

edit: mainly my observations on the placement of unlock mechanisms, how cardioligist's maps were awesome but definitely much much weaker overall, and the cliched story and translator messages.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 09:45

Thanks guys! The main concern for the patch I had was gameplay balance, and just proof-reading (as much as possible) the translator messages. So if those two things were better than the unpatched version, than I'm glad :tup:

Nice to see you enjoyed the pack :)
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 10:52

Yeah I liked a lot the Cardi's maps (Map 11 is pretty much my favourite level of the pack alongside the previous and next-final ones), EXCEPT Map 5. Also I am not able to like Map 2, it should have been only Hellfire.
Zephon is still #1 spot to me unless something great comes.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010, 01:08

Ah, what the hell, it's the end of the year so I just had to play the patched Zephon, and only today (I mean yesterday) available.
So on Easy it was. And I'm actually glad I played on Easy, because now I can safely state that on Easy it is possible for anybody who has played Unreal once (on Easy) to finish this without becoming frustrated (something which was impossible with version 1.20).

Now Zephon offers a challenge for all levels of experience (because I'm sure Hard and Unreal won't be for the faint-hearted).

And even though Easy is ... err.. well too easy for me, I still got a couple of serious frights and I got killed 3 times (also because of the speed I was playing - I just had to finish it today, I mean yesterday, so I wasn't really playing carefully).

So, to WWW and (helpers and testers), thanks for patching this properly. \o/

Previous