Scout-kun is a lie... right?

RMusicPlayer on dedicated servers

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: RMusicPlayer on dedicated servers

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016, 16:30

In my quest to knock yet another thing off of my bucket list this year, I decided to rent a server for UT with the hopes of running EXU2/G59 campaigns on them. However, I seem to have already hit a bump in the road:

Code: Select all

ProcessServerTravel: EXU2-BI00-Menu
Server switch level: EXU2-BI00-Menu
Browse: EXU2-BI00-Menu?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?Team=0?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othello?game=Botpack.CTFGame?MaxPlayers=10
LoadMap: EXU2-BI00-Menu?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?Team=0?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othello?game=Botpack.CTFGame?MaxPlayers=10
Case-insensitive search: SKYBox -> ../Textures/SkyBox.utx
Case-insensitive search: NALIFX -> ../Textures/NaliFX.utx
Close TcpipConnection9 Sat Jan  2 09:50:26 2016
WinSock shut down
appError called:
Can't bind to native class RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Component
Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
UClass::Bind
(Class RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Component)
ULinkerLoad::CreateExport
(RMusic_Component 51500)
IndexToObject
(RMusic_Controller 51500)
ULinkerLoad::CreateImport
IndexToObject
(RMusic_Controller0 30847725)
IndexToObject
ULinkerLoad<<UObject
(LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad74 30847725))
ULevelBase::Serialize
ULevel::Serialize
LoadObject
(Level EXU2-BI00-Menu.MyLevel 30847725==30847725/31300440 30833007 78375)
ULinkerLoad::Preload
PreLoadObjects
UObject::EndLoad
UObject::StaticLoadObject
(Engine.Level None.MyLevel EXU2-BI00-Menu)
LoadLevel
UGameEngine::LoadMap
LocalMapURL
UGameEngine::Browse
ServerTravel
UGameEngine::Tick
UpdateWorld
UServerCommandlet::Main
Can't bind to native class RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Component

History: UClass::Bind <- (Class RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Component) <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (RMusic_Component 51500) <- IndexToObject <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (RMusic_Controller 51500) <- ULinkerLoad::CreateImport <- IndexToObject <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (RMusic_Controller0 30847725) <- IndexToObject <- ULinkerLoad<<UObject <- (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad74 30847725)) <- ULevelBase::Serialize <- ULevel::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (Level EXU2-BI00-Menu.MyLevel 30847725==30847725/31300440 30833007 78375) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Engine.Level None.MyLevel EXU2-BI00-Menu) <- LoadLevel <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ServerTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- UServerCommandlet::Main

Exiting due to error
Exiting.
Name subsystem shut down

Above is, in pertinent part, the error messages yielded from trying to switch the server to an EXU2 map. Now, I'm quite aware this is likely an issue better addressed by my server company, and I've already opened a ticket with them. I just wanted to post here and ask anyone here, in the event someone else has had a similar issue trying to run EXU2 on a server, did you come across this and is there a solution specific to RMusicPlayer?

My hunch (I hope I'm wrong) is that this is a server environment issue. I know Gameservers doesn't use Windows OS, so maybe this is due to the fact that RMusicPlayer only comes with a .dll file that can't be utilized.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: RMusicPlayer on dedicated servers

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016, 20:43

I don't know a ton about RMusicPlayer since it's Raven's work and goes way over my head, but yeah... sounds like the .dll thing is the issue there. Maybe they can host UT for you in a Windows virtual machine?

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016, 21:33

Thanks, Waff. Yeah, I was hoping he'd be around to shed light on this, but I figured it's most likely a .dll thing. In the mean time I've asked them about a Windows hosting solution... while I go and try things out at another host with the free trial they're providing on a Windows server.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016, 23:43

what even the point of rmusicplayer anymore?
all the new sound render drivers that are provided for ut , are able to play mp3 embedded in umx , and its played back on the client side without any knoledge of the server.
using dll natives in multiplayer by itself is terrible.
/whatever

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016, 03:35

bob wrote:what even the point of rmusicplayer anymore?
all the new sound render drivers that are provided for ut , are able to play mp3 embedded in umx , and its played back on the client side without any knoledge of the server.
using dll natives in multiplayer by itself is terrible.
/whatever

Could you elaborate? I haven't heard of a way to integrate .mp3 music in UT levels aside from RMusicPlayer, but haven't been looking for alternatives either. I set RMusicPlayer up with EXU2 probably like 10 years ago and haven't needed anything else since. If there's a better way to do it, I'm all ears.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016, 05:58

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016, 15:27

OK, so this basically forces you to use OpenAL, which isn't ideal since some people's hardware fucks up with rendering devices other than Galaxy. RMusicPlayer may not be ideal either, but it's more compatible across the board until you take other OSs into account.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016, 04:27

Last time I had a look at it, I noticed it need to be recompiled with the new FMOD libs to be compatible with newer audio renderers after the OMP distros.
Since OpenAL v1.6, the FMOD dependency was removed so you can again use the FMOD files from RMusicPlayer
(it should work alongside the current renderers, but I have not tested)

The newest OpenAL builds are from the more compatible OpenALSoft
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 614690/0#0

The only people I have seen with a problem using OpenAL, are people like me with a Realtek chip, or some Creative Labs users (Win Vista and up).
These problems are with the original Creative labs OpenAL distro, and both companies have tools that add AL support for all games that need it.
I used Realtek "3D Sound Back" to fix UT and Unreal for me, but since the newer OpenALSoft builds I do not need it any more.

As Smirftsch is the only person with access to the source, like it or not we must consider the OldUnreal updates to be as official as we can get, and the only engine updates we will have.
Any problems with a few annoying PCs can dealt with by submitting bug reports to the 1 place it can make a difference.
These new renderers are a massive leap forward and more useful than anything you will find in modern games.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016, 11:29

TBH the sound I've most always heard with the OpenAL audio renderer in UT was the Windows' error one.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016, 09:06

Yeah - it looks like dll is missing. I don't have too much time to do anything around it anymore, but I've set up GitHub for it so You can download it and compile with VS2013: https://github.com/raven-ie/RMusicPlayer
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio