UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

EXU2 Ideas & Suggestions Thread

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: EXU2 Ideas & Suggestions Thread

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 17:32

Got something you'd like to see changed or created? Post about it here!

There's no telling which ideas and suggestions I will be able to implement, but I read all feedback and often tweak things based on what I see people talking about. This is an Open Beta, after all - plenty of time left to polish and add new content. So if you've got something you think would benefit the mod, let me know!

Everything is open to ideas: maps, weapons, monsters, sound and visual effects, etc. Go nuts.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: EXU2 Ideas & Suggestions Thread

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012, 15:27

Waffnuffly wrote:No, and I don't think that would really be viable either unless bot AI was able to handle them too. Without a genius scripter onboard, I can't imagine that ever happening. It's better to just have them as opportunistic loosely-controlled chaos generators, I think.

Fun idea: Make it so that picked-up flares in UT are fired along with your next weapon shot. This will require a substantial amount of code to do, but then you can handle bot AI functions related to flares in the MP weapon code! (Am I about to fire a flare? Then adjust aim accordingly etc.)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012, 17:29

That's not a bad idea, actually. The framework is already there for flare projectiles. Would be a pretty funny idea if you just shoved any flares you came across into your gun's barrel (dunno how that would work with the Extractor though, lol)

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 00:16

Not much of an idea I guess, but is there a way to "unf#ck" EXU2 by making monsters not as overkill, so you can play it with the normal Unreal/UT guns as you'd do in normal Unreal co-op? And additionally maybe a way to replace the f#cked up monsters with the normal Unreal monsters? I'd like to play EXU2 with some mods/muts and it is impossible in it's f#ucked up default condition. I know, you intended it to be all f#ucked up and sh#t, but I would like it to be playable.

I noticed the new version has music activated by default, so you can't deactivate it. Am I right, or am I experiencing a bug? If it is the case, the thing I enjoyed about EXU2 most was the dense atmosphere conveyed by the awesome ambient audio and the forced music destroys all of this and makes me wanna exit the game, lol. I figure most have music on anyway and can enjoy the madness, but it shouldn't be forced. Maybe I'm mad though.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 00:21

Turn the RavenMp3Player volume to 0. Find the option in the Mods menu.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 00:32

Psychomorph wrote:Not much of an idea I guess, but is there a way to "unf#ck" EXU2 by making monsters not as overkill, so you can play it with the normal Unreal/UT guns as you'd do in normal Unreal co-op? And additionally maybe a way to replace the f#cked up monsters with the normal Unreal monsters? I'd like to play EXU2 with some mods/muts and it is impossible in it's f#ucked up default condition. I know, you intended it to be all f#ucked up and sh#t, but I would like it to be playable.

Sorry, but no. If you play EXU2 as it was designed to be played (and on the appropriate difficulty level for your skill), it is entirely playable. If you're having trouble playing it on Easy, tell me where/why and what's giving you difficulty so I can improve the balance. Doing what you're asking would require a staggeringly astronomical amount of work on my part, and I just don't have that kind of time.

And yes, the music is in a separate RMusicPlayer volume control Mod menu item from the UT main menu. It's not forced.

Gameite2260
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014, 22:43

This suggestion is probably going to be very controversial, so I ask that anyone reading it read the whole thing before you start yelling at me.

So, I find in EXU a lot, that there are just too many points where you end up wandering around like a dumbass trying to figure out where to go. So I think that, in Easy, there should be tip barrels at each corridor that tell you exactly where it leads, and what you will find in there.

Now, I would just like to say i am not saying the game should become a single linear walk down a hallway. I like that this game has lots of areas to explore. But in any action game, especially this one, there should NEVER be a part where you wander around with no enemies until you give up and quit. I dont think any more needs to be said. It slows down the action and is annoying as fuck.

Also, on the note of the flares in SP. I think that each player should spawn with a Flaregun. I dont know how multiple types of flare would be handled though.
Gameite; "Shit sounds like a fable to me", till he jumps out the fuckin toilet when you're takin a pee.

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014, 23:26

Enhanced navigation for Easy is a good idea. I don't think you'll have to worry about maps becoming entirely empty of enemies in the future, though, due to all the improved enemy spawning systems.

Everyone already has a Flare Gun if they've completed at least the first level, I thought? Where are you running into a situation where you don't have one?

Gameite2260

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014, 00:03

Sorry, I made a typo.

What I meant was, since people are discussing the addition of flares in the arena combat (With the EXU weapon replace mutator), but you said that you could not program AI to use items in the inventory. So I think that each player should just start with a flaregun. Allows for bouncing and shooting of flares, and can be used by bots like any other weapon. And what I was saying about multiple types of flare was that no inventory = no changing between flares. I saw in one video you were doing a tertiary fire of some kind with the Piddledoper, though. Perhaps there could be a tertiary fire for the flaregun in UT that changes the ammo.

Oh, since we are on the topic of the arena, there is something that has been bugging me for a while about it: The Hell Gun. In Single Player, the alternate fire of the Hell Gun is perfectly balanced because there are plenty of enemies immune to it and, well, they are bots. They dont get annoyed by the power of it. But in UT, the hell gun is so horribly annoying and OP that it makes enclosed levels like the Fetid Sewers unplayable. They just walk up to you, bam, dead. And speaking of EXU weapons in the mutator, I think that some of the weapons that have been chosen to replace the original weapons do not reflect their purpose well. So here is what they should be instead:

Extractor, Piddledoper, and Shitgun should stay the same, as should the EAR.
The Pulse Rifle should be replaced with the Brute Doll instead of the Hyper Flakker as they both share the purpose of the rapid fire weapon that isnt quite the Minigun still pretty good.
The Freezer should stay the same.
The RFPC should replace the Minigun as they are both rapid fire staple weapons.
The EXUShotty should replace the Flak Cannon as they are both close range attackers.
The Rocket Launcher is a hard one to define. It should alternate being replaced by the Hyper Flakker and the Clusterfucker.
The Sniper Rifle... really there is not a sniper weapon in EXU. I would say the closest would be the Tachyon Driver, but really that needs something more special to it as well.
The Redeemer, I know that it is replaced in a different mutator, so I suggest that there should be a mutator to replace it with a Large Marge.
Gameite; "Shit sounds like a fable to me", till he jumps out the fuckin toilet when you're takin a pee.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014, 00:54

The Freezer will be replaced with the Tachyon Driver. Also the Brute Doll is insanely weak and isn't even part of the standard arsenal (it barely even works, I think).
ImageImage

Gameite2260

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014, 01:20

I got the Brute Doll to work once. I know that there is 2 versions of the brute doll, one of which doesnt work though.

Gameite2260

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014, 22:40

I also don't see why the Freezer needs to be replaced with the Tachyon Driver. Also not to mention that most of the weapons here can one-shot an enemy in UT faster than the Tachyon Driver, so it shouldn't be in the game unless it does something special that it doesn't do in SP.

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014, 00:28

The Freezer is just a really lame weapon compared to the Tachyon Driver, and it's really underpowered compared to the rest of the arsenal, so switching it out makes good sense. It also keeps the MP and SP arsenals in line. Further, the Tachyon Driver does a lot more than the Freezer - see tachyon storms for example.

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014, 04:29

Frankly I loathed the Freezer precisely because it was so underpowered, and am glad to see it go. Anyway, there are freeze flares if I recall and, assuming those stay in the mix, would probably do as well a job if not better.

EDIT: The model for said gun, though, was pretty cool looking :tup: would be neat to see it repurposed.

Gameite2260

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014, 00:20

I just got an idea for a mutator, "EXU Monster Replace", where all monsters in a game are replaced by a cluster of EXU versions of those monsters (Except for queens and warlords). I know there are a huge amount of types of monster, but it would be based on their model. So, in a EXU Monster Replace game, a single Brute might get replaced by 1 Security Brute, 1 Bio Brute, and 1 Demon Brute. Certain monsters would have to be prohibited, though. I wouldn't want a Boss Pupae to be as common as a Demon Pupae, and I think Sliths would just have to have their pupae-fucksplosion powers removed altogether.

EDIT: On the Freezer, I still want the freezer back just with its damage stats or whatever turned up. I like the idea of having a simple bouncing weapon that made a good replacement for the Ripper.

And as for the thing about navigational markers, I think it would be better to, instead of them being exclusive to Easy, they should be available in any game mode, just as like a check box when you're starting a new game. After all, difficulty is relative to the strength of the monsters, not to how confusing the levels are.

Next