ividyon will never get this done, will he.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

Maxer 64
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [ut] EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1 - OPEN BETA IS COMING [8-13-12]

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012, 18:37

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT! \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Sorry. I'm really excited.
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [ut] EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1 - OPEN BETA IS COMING [8-13-12]

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012, 21:57

I was actually just rewatching the video of Map 16 this morning. I'm excited about this, it is a good step to take with this kind of mod / mappack.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 00:15

OMG, I've just watched that video.
I had been thinking of reinstalling EXU just to find out why I had uninstalled it. But that video reminded me that I hate being overwhelmed, overclassed and outnumbered so I'll have to muster up some bravery before reinstalling it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 00:18

salsaSkaarj wrote:OMG, I've just watched that video.
I had been thinking of reinstalling EXU just to find out why I had uninstalled it. But that video reminded me that I hate being overwhelmed, overclassed and outnumbered so I'll have to muster up some bravery before reinstalling it.

BI and G59 can be really good FPS skill exercises. Easy/Medium shouldn't be punishing for somebody at your level.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 00:20

Easy and Medium are specifically designed for people who prefer about as much difficulty as Unreal 1 on Medium or Hard. There's a lot of enemies, sure, but your armor and firepower should be more than enough to handle them. Easy especially is very forgiving; projectiles are slower AND do less damage (but only from enemies).

So if you were to play the Open Beta and tell me how it feels on the lower levels, that would be a HUGE help for me! :)

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 05:03

I haven't thought about trying to make EXU2-based things of my own for quite some time, but this is fantastic! As for the whole idea of not just releasing the first fifteen maps, I'm skeptical, yes, but I am definitely curious about how it will work out and what the fallout will be. The whole thing is quite tasty, actually.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 15:18

Think of the map releases as episodes, which come out much more than just "Episode 1" and "Episode 2" and where they all link together, I suppose.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012, 17:16

Waffnuffly wrote:Easy and Medium are specifically designed for people who prefer about as much difficulty as Unreal 1 on Medium or Hard. There's a lot of enemies, sure, but your armor and firepower should be more than enough to handle them. Easy especially is very forgiving; projectiles are slower AND do less damage (but only from enemies).

So if you were to play the Open Beta and tell me how it feels on the lower levels, that would be a HUGE help for me! :)

Will do ... but ... I'm busy als hell until half september so it will have to wait. :(

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012, 17:18

No worries. Open Beta development will be ongoing STARTING in September, but my aim is to not slow down or stop at any point and keep up a consistent progress level. So by the time you are able to get to it, there might even be a couple of patches :o

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012, 11:14

After dissecting EXU2 when I tried to port it to U1 a while back, I ended up making some new weapons along the way which, considering at the time I was using Demo 4, (First release) was rather easy even without all these new-fangled updates! If the open beta makes it even easier to make custom content, I'm gonna have so much fun >:D

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 05:32

Well, some stuff may still be a hassle, like converting things to U1, but making things within the EXU2 framework is, generally, a lot more developer-friendly, both because I wanted things easier for me and because I wanted things easier for you guys. After all, if something benefits me, there's no reason it can't benefit everyone else!

Progress Report: Still on target for early September Open Beta release at this rate. Map 8 going well, and it is the only thing I absolutely MUST have complete for that time. The rest can be ironed out after the fact with patches, as the other maps already work fine. I still have to do a bunch more geo work and all of the lighting for the upper level of the Terraniux stuff, i.e. where the greenhouses used to be (and where missile launchers are in Demo 4). I've redesigned so much of the map, but I'm really happy with the results so far. Gameplay tweaking to take full advantage of the layout changes will take some time as well, but again, as long as the map is done, that stuff can be patched in very easily within days if necessary. GOOD TIMES! UED hasn't even been crashing as much. It's weird.

I'm waiting for the inevitable 11th hour pre-release critical-ass bullshit showstopper bug to give me an aneurysm right before I start uploading and/or right after. On the plus side, if anything like that happens, it will probably be patched out very quickly, unless it's something I have a REALLY hard time figuring out myself, but at this point, I think I know the guts of this project and engine well enough to not let that happen. Hopefully. *knocking super hard on my wooden desk*

One thing I AM aware of for the Open Beta cycle is that if updates are posted too frequently, it becomes a major pain in the ass for server admins to keep updating their servers as well as players to constantly install new stuff if they want to play online. I think for this reason, I'll limit myself to one patch per week MAXIMUM (more like once or twice a month, realistically - still way faster than current but not insane) unless there are major bugs that are getting fixed. Even if I have content and updates and minor bug fixes to add, it's probably better not to dump them constantly. This is an Open BETA after all, not an Open Alpha! Gives me more time to add more stuff to each patch and vet the changes, too. Thoughts?

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012, 02:06

Woahh!!! EXU2 Open Beta? I can't believe this!! I'm gonna start playing UT frequently again once this comes out! I'm actually pretty darn rusty from EXU and UT, so I'll probably just chill on Easy mode for the time being. If you need any feedback as to how the lower difficulty levels are in the beta, then I would be glad to help, as long as I have enough free time on my hands (the college semester just started). Good to see that this project is going great, as always. Also good to hear that you are recovering from tendinitis.
As for the update frequency, I think that about once every 2 weeks sounds good to me.
Image Image

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012, 14:03

The whole point of Open Beta is to get as much feedback on every aspect of the project as possible, so you'll definitely be welcome to post about your experience on Easy. Indeed, that would be exceptionally helpful, as the only people who have tested it really thoroughly so far have done so on Unreal or Hard, me included! I have nerfed the shit out of Easy and Medium over the years, but I'm still not sure where the rough patches are in the maps themselves.

In other news, the launch may be a little bit delayed as I've been really busy all week dealing with a variety of things, most notably my cat and his intestinal woes. He's been switched to some new, top-of-the-line food as of last night and seems OK so far, so as long as he doesn't shit the foulest liquid known to science in the middle of the night again tonight I think he might be home free. Little bastard; I think he's allergic or intolerant of anything that has turkey. :lol: Oh what a pampered fella he is, getting Wellness Indoor now instead of Innova EVO. I spend more on his food by weight than I do on mine!

I also, uh, massively buffed the RFPC and LRPC last night with a feature I've been wanting to add for a long time now. Balance will be worked out over the coming weeks/months as I use it in SP and MP to see how it handles. Basically, all plasma projectiles will scorch enemies just by passing close to them; you don't need to score direct hits or hits at all anymore (of course, direct hits do way more damage than the scorching)! The bigger the plasma ball, the hotter the scorching and the larger the burn radius. The RFPC alt fire is quite nasty against big crowds.

The LRPC... the LRPC is some kind of monstrosity that even I am afraid of now. It lays waste to just about everything. It is magnificent.

X-Tech
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 03:23

Hi i am fan o this. I played this mod few months ago and i must say this is big bada boom - i've seen one disatvantage here.... sometimes music is so sleeepy i dont like music too much..sometimes i really hate music cause gets me so sleepy. I think this game need kick ass music so i used to search my whole modules collection of thousands and i selected modules for actions and levels in this game. I created a pack of music for you and this mod.

I will send you pack of music wich i selected i hope you like it and soon you will replace cause only one thing i dont like here is music. Actaully i didnt saw latest version so thit is my response for last version i played.

Music in game like this should kick ass, give power, and make relax and chill but still with energy and add crazy element to this. Enjoy my pack and replace the music. I hope you like it. Tip: please imagine how funny is image of mega destruction with some of chillout modules here especially from nes/jazz/funk styles xd Big contrast of hard music like metal and chillout funny music can make players stay alive and fresh with game. I think this could be some add-on for awesomness. Enjoy

Wait for link 111

edit: i decided to send it on PM

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 08:08

Fortunately, the music has been seriously upgraded with the addition of Cybernetika's work, which I think is much more fitting for EXU2 in general and should be pretty much exactly what you're suggesting. However, I did really like the original music too, so if it's not to your liking, well, different tastes and all. ;)

Previous Next