Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

And now for something completely different!

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

FraGnBraG
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: And now for something completely different!

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011, 22:18

Legendslayer222 wrote:This could be the 'ISV Dragonfly' of the contest. :)

heh, I just looked that one up... looks pretty cool from posted screens, as I said, my things a bit cliche, however, what I do will not look like his - I do like those tables though :) Actually, I'm going to try to stay away from the growing number of SPcampaigns I'm noticing now and would like to grab and play! I will examine only a few to study actor setups, but I need to stay focussed on mapping, not playing, since I just figured out this is actually a very short timeframe.

Disclaimer, I'm fully aware that everything I think of has likely been done before by someone else, and if i see what others have done then invariably that'll influence my outcome. So I'll see what I can create, then round up a big smash of SP mappage content after the contest :)

Act-2 is still coming...

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011, 23:08

FraGnBraG wrote:I'm fully aware that everything I think of has likely been done before by someone else...

The general point of this competition using only stock content is to create levels reminiscent of Unreal- so lots of the contest entries will look strangely familiar.

Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. :B

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011, 00:56

Legendslayer222 wrote:...Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself... :B

lol, i dunno - it's not as bad as i thought (wrt assets) yesterday I made this quick "grid" map where I placed every legal texture in the list of packages and applied a chroma grid of lights to each surface so I could have the best idea of the available "pallette"... not bad at all. I usually make textures I need for the messy situations I find myself in, but since I can't do that here I have to revisit these old stallwarts. I think my biggest "challenge" in this project (and thus my biggest buzz) is going to be getting everything sequenced properly... hope this doesn't give me migranes ^.^

question - hires s3tc textures ... tom_cat has them installed, i don't. are there any compatability issues? do we care?

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011, 02:50

for mapping purposes, it's better if you DON'T have s3tc textures installed, as it fucks up your editor, and placing the s3tc textures on a surface will then cause package mayhem once you attempt to release anyway.

I keep 2 installs, one for mapping, one for playing. The one which involves mapping has a strict ban on hi-res textures.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011, 18:29

thanks for the advice :)

here's some more of the story-board...

Act-2 [where the hell are we ?]

Slowly, as the haze of unconciousness lifts, you find yoursef in a sealed airlock. Looking out the window plate, your worst fears are confirmed - all you can see is wreckage, explosions, scattered debris and bodies floating in the area. You can see space through a huge hole in the hull where the bulkheads collapsed - the ship is spinning in a slow, sick tumble. Olympia must have hit something in hyperspace, a black hole, a gravametric anomaly, another ship, who knows? Such an event is so rare nobody expects it can happen, not in their lifetime. The notice the com panel in the airlock is lit up, so there's still power - perhaps emergency power backup was spared destruction, so there could be survivors in other sections of the ship. Looking around you you notice an ENV suit - no grav boots though - oh well, you put it on anyways. Surveying the wreckage again you notice the area is still venting atmosphere, probably from a low pressure leak somewhere. Then you see what appears to be an undamaged bulkhead door on the other side of the hull breach. So now you have to choose: stay put and eventually die, or take your chances and make for that bulkhead door - your choice is obvious...

[Act-2 gameplay...]

coming up [Act-3 Life as a Lab Rat...]

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 05:23

Act-3 [Life as a Lab Rat...]
Is this a dream? Fuzzy greenish orbs fall regularly in front of you. Everythings foggy. Can't move, can't feel your arms, legs, it's like you're drugged, or somehow paralysed. Is this death? No, you're aware of noise - plodding footsteps mixed with muted hisses, and angry, grunting sounds echo around you. The fog is clearing a bit, these orbs are shaping into something solid, but not like anything you've seen before. They are light fixtures, but look organic, alien. Even though you can't move, you realize your eyes can - looking around you figure you're on your back, on some kind of gurney or conveyor, with shadowy forms standing over you on either side. They're big, you can tell they're much bigger than you. They're carrying you somewhere, but where? This is _not_ a dream, but fast becoming a nightmare! You try to speak, but you can't. You struggle to move, but can only twitch your eyes from side to side... Suddenly one of them leans down and looks right in your eyes! In full focus, you see clearly the hideous, tusked face. It's demonic, piercing eyes convey only rage and hatred - IT would like nothing better than to kill you where lie! Suddenly, the face is gone, the lights are gone, and everything fades to black... Some time later, you wake up. Your head is pounding, but at least you can feel your arms and legs again. Sitting up, you take a good look at this room... This is not a dream, and you're not in Kansas anymore...

[Act-3 gameplay...]

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 06:19

Well that's what I have so far... The rest I'll flesh out whenever I get arsed to :)
Here's the planned game:
Act 1 - Just another day in space
Act 2 - Where the hell are we?
Act 3 - Life as a lab rat
Act 4 - Graduation day
Act 5 - The Warlord
Act 6 - An unlikely warrior
Act 7 - Joeb and the promise
Act 8 - The Warlords Games
Act 9 - Sacrifice and Redemption
Act 10 - Epilogue

Each level is structured as Opening Cutscene + Gameplay Sequencing + (optional) Closing Cutscene.
Amazingly (well, for me, heh) I figured out the mechanics and have a working prototype :)

I started the first map, which contains opening credits and a nice STNG-like space flyby, where eventually the camera zooms in on the Olympia and the gameplay starts there... This is already working out better than I expected (being a noob, lol) but there's still a few issues (like the friggin hud is showing and for some reason the map starts with a playerstart sound effect... Other than that, I'm off and running :)

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 07:35

Wow, ten maps? Ambitious! \o/

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 10:16

Don't be too ambitious. It is better trying to do something small instead of not finishing the project. Indeed, Sarevok's Phoenix Rising was the only 8th year submission containing more than one map - and he reused/retextured his map over and over again.

Don't underestimate the time needed for making scripted sequences including movers, earthquakes, explosions, AI scripting (alarmpoints, patrolpoints, homebases, etc.), ambushes (creaturefeactories), sounds and music events - and learning to do that.

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 16:10

yeah i have the same feeling :) i thought i'd spill the story plan anyways because i know this is the story i want to "make" ... maybe not finishable in this contest, but i could "complete" it afterwards (or with more detail). i do have floorplans sketched out for the first three levels, they don't seem too big or complicated just yet - i think i can pull those off in the timeframe. You guys would know better than me (what do i know anyways, SP is "new" to me) that said, if i can manage to finish the first 2 levels, then each one after that can have an "ending" tacked on, perhaps with a "to be continured" if it looks promising :) At least that's my plan...

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 02:33

Episodic releases are alright, looking at your mapping resume I don't doubt you can do it. But in 6 weeks? yeah, requires godlike skills :P

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 06:13

hmm, tried running the mapconverter... doesn't seem to work for me. no "224" file is produced... ?

guess i better go get that 227 patch :/

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 06:18

FraGnBraG wrote:...no "224" file is produced... ?

doh, batch file was in the wrong place... nm :D

FraGnBraG

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 15:42

converter works great - very cool :) I ran my intro cutscene in UnrealGold (226, i think) ran fine... There's differences though - It's not as smooth as UT and doesn't look quite as, erm, "graphically rich"... I suspect the renderers - my Ut is using the latest OpenGL with a bunch of settings on and UG is D3D (the product one)...
Anyways, i'll have some map to show hopefully in the next few days (i spend entirely tooo long on that cutscene!)
Cheers

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 16:02

The graphic quality is obviously going to be worse if you don't install any custom renderers in Unreal. :) If you don't want to upgrade to Unreal 227, check http://www.oldunreal.com for the Multimedia patches for older versions. These are packages that give you improved renderers (essentially the same as UT's) and audio devices.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous Next