UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Unreal Tutorials WANTED

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 03:47

GTD-Carthage wrote:If that's the case, when do we get to see those tuts? :D :tup:

Pending when I finish up the lighting tutorial and conjure up some pix, there should be three ready for the viewing:

Lighting for Dummies
Sexual Shadows and You
Anatomy of the Boss fight

others haven't been finished.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 05:05

Mister_Prophet wrote:Lighting for Dummies
Sexual Shadows and You
Anatomy of the Boss fight

others haven't been finished.

You should mention "Events and Tags: Proper Naming Etiquette" as one of those tutorials you plan to make.

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 08:21

:wink:

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 12:22

Judging by my probing sessions focusing on how STR was put together, i can safely say that even proph can't name his events and tags decently. lol, of course that was years ago, i'm sure improvement has been found since then

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 23:07

I just gotta take some screenshots for those tuts and they will be ready.

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 10:46

The basic lighting one and the boss fight one are practically ready to go. Though, I guess I'll wait for Hellscrag to return before I bother anyone to put it up.

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 18:16

Maybe you should do a few tutes on special and fun tricks in mapping. Such as water which won't drown the player, or even lava that heals (I love such things and have placed plenty in my maps). :D

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 00:18

I'd prefer to cover one idea at a time, but if you guys have any requests then please drop them.

EDIT: I've sent two tutorials Hellscrag's way. He should put them on the site in due time.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 09:13

Hang on, I just realised i could seriously benefit from these tutorials of yours!

It sounds a bit suspect though..... It's not just going to tell me how to place a white light i assume :?
Light can go a long way in making a map look good, I'll be sure to check these out...
I have suspicions that the boss fight one might come in handy too :wink:

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 09:35

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Hang on, I just realised i could seriously benefit from these tutorials of yours!

It sounds a bit suspect though..... It's not just going to tell me how to place a white light i assume :?
Light can go a long way in making a map look good, I'll be sure to check these out...
I have suspicions that the boss fight one might come in handy too :wink:

Actually the lighting tut goes on the assumption that all the reader knows how to do is place a default light and works up from there :o It's basically a quickfire way for lighting noobs to make their own really good looking lighting schemes. I'm a firm believer that good lighting can go a long way making a basic room look much better than it appears, from a technical standpoint. I'm also 80% done with a shadow making one that basically works the same way.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 10:31

I haven't touched shadows at all so far. I can see how they add realism if done right, but i honestly haven't given them any real attention at all. The shadow tut will be great because I have no idea :lol: . I'm sure it will be informative

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 10:36

Most mappers don't. I've become so accustomed to using them in the time between finishing 7B and now that I'm used to mapping entire level texture schematics to make use of class A shadows. It's not so hard to learn, or do...once you know the routine.

User avatar rork
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 12:53

I'm also just learning how to build stuff, the tutorials Mister_Prophet prepares sound awesome but here are a few of my favourites:

For lighting check DavidM's tutorials
For design of rooms and corridors I like Bot40's basic shape tutorial
You can also find a lot of Unreal 1 tutorials at SkaarjMonuments.com some can be useful for UT too, especially the "Unreal Creature Care and Feeding Guide" looks interesting to me.

If you want to know more about the background of the races to make your map fit into the Unreal world you should check the Liandri Archives too. You can find a lot of info about the standard weapons, powerups etc too.

I'm not into scripting for SP yet, I don't want to do too much at the same time and want to see if I can build a good looking Skaarj base first :P.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008, 11:04

Oh yeah, proph.... Would you mind making a tutorial about 1337 static meshing? I know that you primarily use UEd2, but i would be interested to see what you can tell me about Static meshes. I just don't know how the hell i am supposed to use them! :lol: I'm much better with Ued2, but i've got these great ideas for onslaught maps which i can't implement because i know i'll encounter extreme fail when i get to the point where i need to go static meshing to make my level pretty.

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008, 11:49

Okay update. I'm gonna churn out a new one maybe today or tomorrow on Level Design. For noobs. Covers layout, architecture, playability, and other things.

Previous Next