UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Unreal Tutorials WANTED

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Madman Widagun
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Unreal Tutorials WANTED

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 16:54

Ive been wanting to make an SP series for quite sometime now and have come up with what I think will be GREAT Ideas in time to come, BUT me being a noob to UnrealED and the Unreal Scripting My attempts to make a real SP Series would be a joke to most people here, I can build things like rooms and can make average brushes and have NO skill what so ever in the whole lighting bussiness.
I want to be able to Build Awesome levels, Skin, Create new classes, make music (Umx) , and learn somewhat about scripting and all that other mumbo-jumbo involved in making cool maps like the ones of Xidia and eventually something like the Chosen One, Dont get me wrong theres a hell of a lot more Awesome Maps and what not, these were just 2 good examples.

Summing up all of my Rant about what I want to know, Im after some/ any GOOD tutorials for making SP maps and making new classes and weapons which probably fals under scripting, not just a basic tutorial of how to make a 1024*1024*1024 box with a pool of water and a few sounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 19:08

http://www.oldunreal.com/editing.html here you go bro, choose the Another unrealed reference

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 20:08

Wolf's Unreal Tutorials will get you going nicely as a mapping beginner and teach you the basic stuff.

I also recommend Bot_40's Vertex Editing and Terrain if you want to learn advanced techniques and make your maps prettier.

CHiMERiC offers many scripting tutorials.

Be ready to invest lots of time into your project. You won't be able to master every field in one day. Mapping is the easiest thing to learn, while scripting is very advanced and requires at least basic programming knowledge (and logical thinking).
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008, 05:35

This is really good, not for SP mapping specificaly, but just save each web page in a stash folder.
http://lode.planetunreal.gamespy.com/

It goes through all movers and also a really good lighting one as well.

but if you havn't made a bunch of maps for DM , SP is pretty damn hard because either it looks yucky, don't work and get a snag in the triggering,movers, it is pretty hard to do IMO compared to DM mapping.

good luck, and don't forget "unreal wiki". download the whole wiki 12 meg or somthing, you want that tut for sure.
Just ban everyone

Madman Widagun
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Thanks

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008, 06:53

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your help :D

User avatar ElectricIce

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008, 20:27

I'm not sure, but i think you got to Resize that avatar a little,

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Unreal Tutorials WANTED

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 08:51

Madman Widagun wrote:Ive been wanting to make an SP series for quite sometime now and have come up with what I think will be GREAT Ideas in time to come, BUT me being a noob to UnrealED and the Unreal Scripting My attempts to make a real SP Series would be a joke to most people here, I can build things like rooms and can make average brushes and have NO skill what so ever in the whole lighting bussiness.
I want to be able to Build Awesome levels, Skin, Create new classes, make music (Umx) , and learn somewhat about scripting and all that other mumbo-jumbo involved in making cool maps like the ones of Xidia and eventually something like the Chosen One, Dont get me wrong theres a hell of a lot more Awesome Maps and what not, these were just 2 good examples.

Summing up all of my Rant about what I want to know, Im after some/ any GOOD tutorials for making SP maps and making new classes and weapons which probably fals under scripting, not just a basic tutorial of how to make a 1024*1024*1024 box with a pool of water and a few sounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dude, you just summed up my thoughts exactly. I am practically in the same position as you. I have an idea for a sp pack, but i am not 1337 enough to actually build it. I know how to actually use unrealed, but i am not pro enough at putting it all together for a good end result.
I even know how to get all the unreal pawns to do stuff and set up good situations. But i simply can't do that because while i can visualise exactly what i want, i fail to actually put it all together in a nice looking way. I blame unrealed :lol:

To cement the fact that my situation mirrors yours: You're an Aussie! I live in Sydney. Nice to meet you

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 08:58

There's only one way to really learn, and it's to map. Get hands on practice. When I started out, my early stuff was pretty shitty. I looked at what good mappers were producing and I read some tutorials and soon enough I was making okay looking stuff. It helps to do quick-fire maps. I came into my own at the dawn of UT, so I made a bunch of DM maps and submitted them to mapping sites for user feedback before I moved onto SP. I did that for a while before I even thought about doing SP. It's a great way to learn.

So my suggestion would be to crank out DM maps. Start simple, and work your way up. Get user feedback and check out maps from other authors. See what methods they use.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 10:59

Want an example of a noob mapper? Look at me, scripting and mapping for 6 months (more scripting than mapping), look at my first noobish map:

For CTF, just an edit, CTF-Lavagiant2:

Then my first one from scratch (CTF-SimpleSnow):

Then tried to create one with some detail, for RX CTF (CTF-BattleForIceNFire):

And now I am developing another one for RX CTF (CTF-DarkVSFire), just to aplly more stuff that I learned:

None of them looks good, but they show an evolution in my mapping skills, and the SP mapping is for me the highest mapping category, but I still don't have the experience to do one, so i am practising as you see.
Don't expect to do some good SP maps from night to day, just practise and you will sooner or later be good in mapping.
For me, mapping is more difficult than scripting, due to all those BSP errors, but I already learned how to avoid almost them all, so my last map has all the architecture built with exactly 0 BSP errors so far. Until then, my last maps had several BSP errors.
Trust me, just practise and learn from all tutorials that you can get. :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 11:45

Just to add, I've been working on some SP tutorials that I've been meaning to send to Hellscrag for the site, covering some more advanced aspects of level design on the Unreal/UT engine. I could cook up some basic stuff too, like how I do all my lighting and stuff like that.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 13:11

Why basic stuff? There are enough beginner tutorials out in the world wide web, but I've hardly seen any advanced SP tutorials. :)

BTW: Hourences' site features more tutorials. Most are for the Unreal Engine 3, but at the bottom of the page you get some older ones which can immensely help you out.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 23:11

Because a lot of basic stuff is too basic.

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 03:38

It oughta be nice to have a tutorial that very specifically shows you how to create a door which only a Nali knows how to open, and how to put a Nali in the map and make him say 'psst' to you and bring you to the door and open it. :wink:

...or is there such a tutorial already?

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 03:39

Mister_Prophet wrote:...I've been working on some SP tutorials that I've been meaning to send to Hellscrag for the site...

If that's the case, when do we get to see those tuts? :D :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 03:45

That's fairly simple to setup. All you need is a Nali, a trigger, and series of alarm points.

Step one: Make the trigger set to Pawn proximity.

Step two: Make the Nali have a tag in Alarm Tag, under Orders that is tied to the first alarm point.

Step three: add alarm points from the navigation tree, as many as you need, leading to the door. Tie the first one's Tag to whatever the nali's orders were (The Nali's Alarm Tag must match the Tag of the Alarm Point). In each Alarm point, link the Next Alarm Tag to the one following, all the way to the final one. When the Nali reaches the final alarm point, which should be by the door, you can choose to give him an animation to play in the Alarm Point properties.

That's a rough tutorial on how to do it.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 23 Jul 2008, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Next