UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[UT] C++ Particle Emitter

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

.:..:
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: [UT] C++ Particle Emitter

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2008, 11:53

This is actually a project I wrote for Unreal 227e, but since I compiled it on UT so I thought I could release the UT version here: www.klankaos.com/downloads/EmitterUT.rar

This Emitter supports:
-Particle emitter.
-Mesh particle emitter.
-Beam emitter
-Weather emitter.
-Fast way of render particles (can support up to 1000 particles with only some small lags).
-In editor preview mode.

Other features:
-Script post render renderiterator for allowing custom UScript mods make some in level actors render something on canvas.
-DistantLightActor, a normal light actor with a different light radius variable type so that it supports unlimited light radius.

Bugs:
-While on preview mode in editor and you dublicate an emitter it will always fail (turn preview mode always off before dublicating).

Fixes on version 1.4:
-Fixed more bugs/crashes.
-Added particle combiners support (such as particle destroy FX etc..)
-Added mesh actor target emitting coords support (spawn particles on vertex locations of the mesh).

Fixes on version 1.3:
-Changed a bit some event names on ParticleEmitter base class.
-Added DistantLightActor.
-Added full sprite animation support for animated sprites (no-, play-, invered-, loop animation).
-Fixed a bug which crashed Linux clients (Unreal 227f).

Fixes on version 1.2:
-Fixed a crash/freeze caused by "Kill" UScript function.
-Added in an alpha staged procedural mesh actor.
-Added an post render renderiterator for UScript mod authors.

Fixes on version 1.1:
-Fixed crash/freeze when setting an emitter with no textures.
-Changed some limits so that it IS possible to get 1 emitter emit up to 5000 particles/second (depending on your FPS).
-Changed MeshEmitter to read LODBias value from Emitter actor itself.
Last edited by .:..: on 26 Apr 2014, 09:42, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008, 22:56

Awsome, and by native coding which improves performance a lot. :tup:

Well, I must inform that it works at least in v436 of UT. :lol:

I have just 2 questions:
- Could I use those some of those emitters for weapon effects, or they just can't work that way?
- They work online, right?

P.S.: Could I subclass your weather emitter and add a built-in lightning effect for rain? Or could you add this feature in a next version of these Emitters? (UnrealScript side of course, and creating another package dependent of yours)

.:..:
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008, 15:24

1: Yes they should be possible to use as weapon effects.
2: Yes it works online, but if you need to trigger it you have to use NetworkEmitter.
3: Just create it as independent package.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008, 19:11

Ok, thanks mate :tup:

I was expecting the Weather system and emitters from Shadow, but as this came first and actually working, I will use this instead (just for some things).

Of course I will give you credits by the emitters, I don't forget good coders that make good stuff. :lol:

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008, 21:12

Your link is dead, so I uploaded into FileFront, so people can get it:

EMITTER DOWNLOAD - FILEFRONT

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 10:59

There really should be a couple tutorials on how to use the particle emitter. :( (Or are there?)

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 11:04

Taz wrote:There really should be a couple tutorials on how to use the particle emitter. :( (Or are there?)

Me and Creavion are planning do an example map with those Emitters with different effects (so people can see which properties we tweaked), so don't worry. :wink:

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 13:55

Dots, could you make the physics of your vehicles in native code? For performance reasons and it would be less laggy online...

If you just don't have time or patience or don't know to do it, it's ok with me, but I would be very apreciated if you could :)

Edit: I have seen your scripts, and maybe coding all that natively would be kinda hard... so I think is better forget it. Good job, I think I will once again subclass it in an independent package and make my own vehicles.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 15:01

Feralidragon wrote:Dots, could you make the physics of your vehicles in native code? For performance reasons and it would be less laggy online...

If you just don't have time or patience or don't know to do it, it's ok with me, but I would be very apreciated if you could :)

Edit: I have seen your scripts, and maybe coding all that natively would be kinda hard... so I think is better forget it. Good job, I think I will once again subclass it in an independent package and make my own vehicles.

what the... :? I would swear I just wrote you on another thread that he made those vehicles.. and now i read that you already know this....
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 15:21

Darkon wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:Dots, could you make the physics of your vehicles in native code? For performance reasons and it would be less laggy online...

what the... :? I would swear I just wrote you on another thread that he made those vehicles.. and now i read that you already know this....

I searched and found them, but I would like to use native physics instead of UScript coded physics, due to performance reasons of course. But the vehicles are very good :tup:

I was thinking coding them in UScript myself, and I could do the physics well in offline, but I would be a complete disaster at online coding. :/

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 17:47

Really good stuff, but the "particle count limit of 1000" sucks.. to be honest...
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 18:00

Creavion wrote:Really good stuff, but the "particle count limit of 1000" sucks.. to be honest...

Considering that it doesn't need a whole new renderer and it isn't done by spawning actors by UScript, I consider that it is really good right now, at least for me.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 18:25

Creavion wrote:Really good stuff, but the "particle count limit of 1000" sucks.. to be honest...

I guess that means it can support up to 1000 rendered particles currently in view without getting laggy. Which is a good thing, because you'll never get anywhere near 1000 particles on one spot anyway (unless you go apeshit and spam 30129 fires all over the place or something :))
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 18:36

sana wrote:

I guess that means it can support up to 1000 rendered particles currently in view without getting laggy. Which is a good thing, because you'll never get anywhere near 1000 particles on one spot anyway (unless you go apeshit and spam 30129 fires all over the place or something :))

I want to let it rain (stormy) on one of my DM maps but it is difficult with only a par. count of 1000. I cant understand it. This seems to be best coded emitter system ever (at least with the best performance), so I wondered about this ... limit.

Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 22:00

Creavion wrote:
sana wrote:

I want to let it rain (stormy) on one of my DM maps but it is difficult with only a par. count of 1000. I cant understand it. This seems to be best coded emitter system ever (at least with the best performance), so I wondered about this ... limit.

Then you have just wait the Shadow's SDK... :|

Next