Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

player controlled monsters

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: player controlled monsters

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018, 14:13

I've posted a couple of times about this at OU but I'd also like to ask here too. One of the things I've always wanted to do was create some sort of monster master player class. You would have the ability to charm/train/purchase different monsters and use them to aid you.

To be done right this needs an entirely new scripted pawn class to be the base for the set of monsters. I was thinking of taking this on after the new year and I'd like some feedback on how to implement it. My main concern is how to bring the player's monster (pet) into the game. Because it will be a new pawn class it will mostly work with default stuff like movers and triggers but will probably fail in mutator searches that reply on scriptedpawn for events. The easiest way to compensate for this is to have the pets be used kind of like a pokeball. You toss them out, let them work, then recall them to move onwards if there is an obstacle that they can't deal with.

If you injects pets into the gameplay in your mind does anything jump out as a potential problem? I'm still debating the handling of pets if they are killed (do you lose that pet or just for that map) and I want to take care that they aren't overpowered.

There's a ton of coding to be done to get this right but I'm looking forward to the challenge. If you have any thoughts I'd like to hear them.

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: player controlled monsters

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018, 21:33

Much as caring for monsters doesn't appeal to me (not following them with a baggy for their droppings) as a player concept this sounds pretty cool!