Scout-kun is a lie... right?

also how to limit monster view?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Subject: also how to limit monster view?

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014, 04:21

I have a 3 skaarj monsters a long way away from a door, but can see the door.

Most of the time they wait until they see you and then start shooting at you. But sometimes I will get to the door, and they are already shooting (at me) but the door is stopping the shots. Like they can see me through the door. Which makes it so difficult to make it through the door, because you can't shoot them without getting at least to the doorway which of course means you get killed before you even get a shot off.

So is there a way to have the player hit a trigger which only then gets the attention of the monsters?

And can I string a few triggers so that getting through the door attracts their fire and going beneath them stops them from firing, and later in the corridor when they can see you again you hit another trigger that gets them to shoot at you from the back?

The monsters are in a good place to ambush above you, but I want to make it fair and playable everytime.
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: also how to limit monster view?

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014, 06:27

Within the setting of all monsters is an aspect called "SightRadius". It defines how far monsters can see.

Check properties, select all monsters that you wanna later, it's in there somewhere.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 03:15

All pawns can see through movers online, so if you're playing on a dedicated server, that would be it. Otherwise, be sure you didn't alert them already with some kind of noise event. MakeNoise() triggers HearNoise() in a radius around the actor based on the magnitude of the MakeNoise() command, i.e. MakeNoise(1.0) triggers an area with a radius of about 2000 units or so IIRC, while MakeNoise(10.0) will trigger monsters in the entire map. Most MakeNoise() commands in stock Unreal assets are 1.0 or less, though.

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 04:21

Ah so maybe if I set their view radius lower then they won't be able to see all the way to the door, thanks
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy