Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

3ds Max Question

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: 3ds Max Question

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 15:47

I've been looking at Hourence's cave tutorial (http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-cave-modeling/), and while I'm fine with the first step:

... I have no idea what to do to extrude faces to get to the second step:

When I was actively messing around with 3ds Max about a year ago I figured out how to extrude faces, but now I can't remember what to do for the life of me. :shake:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: 3ds Max Question

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013, 15:59

In the second shot you can see an "extrude" option in the menu on the right. That can be used to "push/pull" selected faces, extending them or pulling them closer in, creating new faces in the progress. You can then rotate/scale the face you've extruded and then extrude it again, creating the curved/differently shaped tunnels oyu see in that shot.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 02:45

It was right in front of me the whole time? :B

Thanks for pointing it out.

Bump:

Somehow I managed to screw things up so that now I can't move stuff along the z-axis while I have snaps toggled. Whenever I move vertices on the z axis with snaps enabled, either nothing happens or the vertex is dragged down and merges with another vertex.

I looked the problem up and people were saying it had to do with walkthrough mode. I had been out of walkthrough mode, but the problem is still there. When snaps aren't enabled, I can manipulate vertices along all 3 axes, but when snaps are enabled, I can really only use the x and y axes.
Last edited by Tarydax on 25 Nov 2013, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 03:29

sometimes the extrusion tool can be annoying, sometimes it wont extrude in the direction you want it to go...

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 03:31

Right now I'm just trying to move individual vertices around, I'm not extruding anything.

Edit: I can't move vertices up and down in perspective mode, but I can in the other viewports.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 14:07

In the perspective veiwport you should see the transform gizmo
Image,
if not - hotkey 'X'. This should help to be able to move vertices in perspective view anyway you want.

Or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR5JrRWatUM

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 14:20

Not being able to see the gizmo isn't the problem, though. I can see the transform gizmo, but I can't move anything on the z-axis with snaps toggled.

Trying to move a vertex upward or downward makes the vertex go from this:

To this:

The vertex gets dragged all the way down and isn't able to move after that.

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 14:45

you have some snapping turned on. hit 'S' to turn it on/off. right-click its button to change snapping settings.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 14:55

If I turn snapping off, any changes I make won't stick to the grid, though. Anything I make would be off-grid when I would import it into the Unreal editor.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 15:29

It was ages ago, but I think this was the problem I ran into when using 3DS MAX and I couldn't find a proper solution; there are scripts that auto-align to grid for you, but that ends up being pretty ghetto and means things won't be exactly how you want them.
Formerly Mman

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013, 19:59

Oh, snapping. Snap...

Can't help you much here, it's quite common problem Autodesk didn't mind to get into in years.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013, 17:59

I've got another Max problem. I was able to extrude faces without any problems until a few days ago. Now whenever I extrude two faces that are right next to each other, it's like there's a sheet separating them.

Here's an example screenshot:

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013, 19:11

Extrusion has three options: Group, Local Normal, By Polygon. Your results look like extruding 'by polygon'.

Also, I suggest you to read through Editable Poly help page to learn about all the tools it offers. Just skim through, spend 10-15 minutes on it. You might not remember all the features and options, but later, when some tools might become handy, you'll recollect that max has them, and you'll find them easily.

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013, 19:19

Switching it did the trick. Thanks