Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

UScript and Font Factory

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

xortion
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: UScript and Font Factory

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 01:01

Hello all,

I've tried to import a custom font from a PCX file into Unreal Editor, and it appears as though it works (the texture shows in the script package), but when I try to use it on HUD the font does not appear or is invisible. I've actually tried exporting Unreal 1's LargeFont (the green one) and re-import it as a different name and package and I get the same result. Does anyone know why this occurs? Are there certain guidelines one must follow to properly import a font that I'm not aware of?

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: UScript and Font Factory

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 04:28

Unreal is very particular when it comes to importing textures for fonts. The .pcx's palette must be set up carefully and the image itself has to be set up correctly. There needs to be a rectangular outline of the first color in the palette, while the last color of the palette is used for masking). The actual colors you use for masking and outlining characters do not matter, as long as they are last and first in the palette respectively. Also be sure you are importing the fonts with the correct exec directive (if importing through script). (You may need to swap first and last depending on which program you are using to edit images)

Code: Select all

#exec Font Import File=Textures\MyFont.pcx Name=MyFont

Example of image and palette setup:

This page has a lot of useful information.
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... t_Tutorial

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013, 10:07

What about multile font textures? When I want to import a really big font I need to split it into parts. How to do that?

Is it possible to just throw a 4096x2048 pcx texture?

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013, 13:00

Z-enzyme wrote:What about multile font textures? When I want to import a really big font I need to split it into parts. How to do that?

Is it possible to just throw a 4096x2048 pcx texture?
I would assume there is a way to split a font into multiple textures, since that is what the true type font importer does (maybe examine the textures it produces?), but I honestly don't know how off hand. A really big texture should work well enough though.