ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[u1] [ut] WTF Series 2

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [u1] [ut] WTF Series 2

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014, 10:47

Happy new year, guys!

Clearly we missed our 2013 window, but I remain confident that something will be happening before February. I have a rare moment when I'm out of school and free of extension assignments :P If all goes as planned I'll be able to dedicate a ton of hours to this project each week— and to be honest it feels good.

Regarding what we'll actually be releasing: Shivaxi and I initially released WTFs1 because we reached a good point to place a bookmark, both in a plot and development sense. We didn't try to make that happen, it just did— and it's happened again with WTFs2. We tried planning the pack this time but nature took its own course and I'm pretty happy with the haul.

really hoping to make the February mark (it'll likely be late January tbh), it's either that or perpetual unrealsp disappointment :) :) :)

See you soon!
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014, 22:38

Release it when you're ready to release and not a day sooner. Don't stress over making proclamations on launch windows and simply get into the habit of making more frequent forum posts instead, that's always the better route.

Good luck :tup:

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014, 10:41

Well...that didn't happen :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014, 01:15

if this + TCO gets released in the same week I might explode

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014, 19:44

Well as it stands, I'm currently facing 2 options here for the release. Something that has to be done before WtfS2 can get released...and that is to fix up WtfS1.

There's a lot of problems with series 1 that need fixing, like 227 breaking the lighting, teleporter not killing itself and getting stuck online in wtf3, the giant hole you can fall through in wtf1, the plight actor being plain broken and spamming the log like crazy on top of that...yeah... Plus I'm so awesome that I made TWO end teleporters at the end of wtf3! So hitting the wrong one will lead you to the credits instead of the next map...smart move me!

Anyway...2 options I can do to fix this...

EASY WAY: Go and fix everything up front, modifying the maps themselves and the actors to fix all these problems, release WtfS1 as version 1.2 update, forcing everyone to update and possibly breaking saved games and causing online mismatches as usual.

HARD WAY: I could script a mutator to fix most of the issues in order to retain backwards compatibility and not break saved games. The mutator would do simple things like replace all plight lights with the new plight, spawn a giant boulder over the hole you fall through in wtf1 (#1 bsp fix!), swap kill trigger with a non-broken one for online play in wtf3, and increase the collision size of the CORRECT end teleporter so you hit that one first before the credits one.

Of course, the hard way then forces servers and players to run yet ANOTHER mutator in their probably long list of mutators already, just for a crappy short map pack =P But I digress...

What do you guys think? easy way or hard way?

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014, 20:02

I vote for the easy way. The hard way probably isn't worth the trouble when people are used to getting new versions of maps/mods (especially if the same people downloaded anything by me :B ).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014, 20:04

Easy way sounds better to me; having to load another mutator sounds much more awkward than the risk of a few online mismatches until people update.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014, 20:17

The easy way because mutators are wonky.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014, 03:14

I vote for the BETTER WAY: (aka, the Easy way. I'd definitely prefer to have a new, touched up version rather than a mutator)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014, 19:34

Lol. And Bleeder said the Hard Way :P Ah well, there's some bugs I can only fix via the Easy Way anyway, like I need to change the vents size, and fix some lighting bugs, etc.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014, 02:38

I think anyone who is into your campaign will be fine with updating with a patch. This is typical with mods and things in most communities, so long as you're clear about the update versions and make sure to document it enough (as well as replace all existing downloading mirrors with the more current version).

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014, 20:21

Bug testers wanted!

Sadly, not for Series 2 :P Sorry guys, but for Series 1. As you know, I'm reworking WTF Series 1 to fix any and all bugs, and I don't want to miss a thing. So if you guys know of bugs, please report them here so I may fix them.

I decided that the best thing to do in order to avoid mismatches and stuff, is to rename the maps completely, as they will now be titled wtf-V2, wtf1-V2, wtf2-V2, and so on and so forth. This way compatibility won't be an issue, and it'll be obvious which is the up to date version.

The following is a current list of bug fixes you can expect in WTF Series 1 V2:

WTF Intro Levels:

-Adjusted audio slightly to better hear narrator

WTF Level 1:

-Fixed falling through the world in that one spot
-Changed texture of fire wood at Krall camp site
-Fixed a few lighting bugs
-Fixed a couple translator messages with correct Englishness

WTF Level 2:

-Fixed Plight actor spamming log
-Fixed Plight actor not rebuilding correctly
-Plight renamed to PLightV2.u

WTF Level 2 (dark):

-Fixed a minor BSP hole

WTF Level 3:

-Fixed lighting issue on the crazy hall of doors for 227 versions
-Fixed lighting issue in the vents on 227 versions
-Increased vent size, players head no longer sticking through ceiling
-Fixed the white room jump scare so players don't get teleported more than once to that room
-Fixed end teleporter collision size so players don't accidentally hit the end teleporter that goes to the credits map instead of wtf4.unr

Right, this is all I've thought of so far. Again, if you guys know any other bugs, lemme know. Thoughts appreciated.

nikosv

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014, 03:32

Hi babies it's update time

So I'm sorry so little has been done to this project in the last four years— almost literally nothing. I went off to college and apparently Shiv really needed me :)

I still want to see this weird little pack get released, namely the first four playable levels in Series 2. We really need a couple beta testers for Series 1, so hit Shivaxi up. As for Series 2, I really want to get the maps done. Oh, and WTF7 was split to allow for more detail. Current progress bars:

4 The Encounter (Cinematic Sequence) / 100% Complete
5 Nathral Village / 100% Complete
6 Raknir's Storage Caves / 80% Complete
7 Raknir Mine / 95 % Complete
7 Raknir Valve Array / 75 % Complete

So at the rate we've been going we should be done in three to nine years :) No but really I want to see this get out there. If I get bored I may just release whatever's finished as vignettes, but I don't want to do that.

After this I'm pretty convinced WTF can die. Shiv can keep going if he wants but I'm leaving the team in favor of ISV-Dragonfly, as well as my own non-Unreal projects (post upcoming in the off-topics thread).

It's been a blast :)
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014, 21:43

Awesomeness, hope to see this released :D

Also, ISV-Dragonfly - has Enzyme handed the project over to you to finish?

SZ

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014, 02:23

Thanks for hanging in there this long, looking forward to whatever you guys release
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Previous Next