Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[u227i] Unreal: Resurgence

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [u227i] Unreal: Resurgence Part 1

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 14:15

Some bugs and bad things, in progress:
-Translator doesn't pop up
-My character turns human after the intro map
-There's almost no health at all in the first map on Unreal difficulty, which automatically makes the Razik melee useless
-Razik melee is only useful against boxes overall
-Second map title has treatment misspelled (treament)
-The "horizontal line" corona effect (seen in map 2) is awful
-Fans in the slime tunnel of map 2 will crash the game when destroyed
-Some areas are poorly lit (especially on map 2), very hard to spot doors and elevators in the final indoor sections.
-Foundry action songsection for an entire map is a no-no
-The tram cave in map 3 has a huge death pit but if an enemy falls in it doesn't die
-What am I supposed to do when I reach the Titan cave in map 3? I can't read translator messages
-Map 4 has some recycled content from The Fifth Vortex (the lava area); nothing bad but had to mention
-The aforementioned area's wall sarcophagus will crash the game if triggered

Finally was able to access the 2nd map without crashes
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 17:55

UBerserker wrote:Some bugs and bad things, in progress:
-Translator doesn't pop up

Strange, I didnt have problems with all these things you mentioned (I think I didnt destroy the fans, so I couldnt agree/disagree on that crash, though I doubt it would happen to my installation)!
UBerserker wrote:-What am I supposed to do when I reach the Titan cave in map 3? I can't read translator messages

There is a battery on a plateau that you can only reach with the Raziks. With that you can activate the panel in the middle of the hall which then opens the doors of the main building. The translator message only tells you that someone is looking for that battery and he cannot find it.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 18:25

Wow fuck even U227 still has the save bug and it took me back at the beginning of the level before the crypt

Ah well, it was pretty close to the exit anyway. Well yeah I had to eventually ghost through map 3 at the Titan area because I had no idea what to do (not sure what was the deal with the Titan anyway I didn't bother him).

Mappack is of course a bit unfinished and not much tested; the architecture is absolutely alright but certain terrain areas feel devoid of life and the lighting is sometimes too dark or too "unlit" - had some serious difficulties trying to spot doors, elevators and buttons (like the button to unlock the gate at the end of the first elevator in map 1, couldn't see it at all; another one is the door on the second floor of that area where you meet the first Behemoth inside the purple forcefield). The rain was ok but kinda weird as it came and went at sudden intervals. The coronas for various lamps looked terrible for the most part and should be removed, they look like laser barriers and are better fit for high speed cutscenes. The circular skybox was very good on the other hand.

Gameplay is, well, ok. The item placement is a bit off the charts, usually you don't find anything at all until you find a location which suddenly has a lot of items. Thing is that, at least until where I played in the crypt map, you're almost exclusively stuck with very few weapons - DP, Razik, Stunner, Stinger, Impaler and a bit of Eightball/Flak. Which gets monotonous after a while and the enemies here really love dodging.
DP seemed useless for once until you get powerups for the Razik; with the lack of health, melee doesn't seem to be a good choice. Only Krall seem to be approachable but I noticed that sometimes they just LUNGE at you; primary fire scales greatly with the powerups however. Stunner is a fun weapon but enemies just predict-dodge it all the fucking time; ammo for it seems also extremely rare at times, to the point I completely ignored the weapon in some sections. Stinger seemed really powerful, is it actually a custom variant? Impaler was also strong as expected, even though I couldn't understand why the Izarians (who were unnaturally fast) impalers were weak, turning out to be the biggest ammo sources for that weapon as well.
I didn't notice what items I had because some of them didn't seem to work. Translator didn't work, the Sub-Mask whatever (also there were times I couldn't figure out in both Map2 if the water was slime or not, turns out it was all water), there was also some Mercenary-looking card, a Razik item (?), the Dampener that has a new model but went unused because all enemies were just in front of your face, and then the Flares which I also never used. I didn't notice if I actually had an energy shield or an invisibility but from what I remember I never had them.

And yeah, had to figure out by myself how to do the Razik leap. If no tutorial map would be made, a single special event message broadcasted as a blue line in the middle of the screen, explaining how to do the leap, would be the best possible replacement. Never used it against enemies because it'd be like taking a road to suicide.

Can't say anything about the story because of the translator bug; there's of course the forced human character bug which happened every time. Am I supposed to open up the mappack throughout console? I am a Skaarj in the intro map but after that one I become human.
I seriously have no idea what's going on and I get all kind of bugs with 227; the few times I play on this version I constantly get bad impressions about it, and frankly it's not worth it for just some blurry coronas. Not to mention the annoying save bug is still not fixed.
Last edited by UB_ on 04 Dec 2016, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 18:29

UBerserker wrote:-Translator doesn't pop up

Huh. I played through the whole pack on a fresh install and didn't have those problems, and I never saw those before. By the translator not popping up, do you mean that you don't have the item, or that the item doesn't work?

UBerserker wrote:-Map 4 has some recycled content from The Fifth Vortex (the lava area); nothing bad but had to mention

That's because the crypt was a temple of Ehactora that was occupied and modified by the Skaarj Hunters.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 18:37

AlCapowned wrote:

Huh. I played through the whole pack on a fresh install and didn't have those problems, and I never saw those before. By the translator not popping up, do you mean that you don't have the item, or that the item doesn't work?

The item simply didn't work. Tried summoning the normal translator and that one worked instead.

Starting to believe there's something really wrong with my U227 installation.

If this mappack would be fully tested and completed it could easily be a top-tier release.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 19:01

UBerserker wrote:Translator didn't work, the Sub-Mask whatever (also there were times I couldn't figure out in both Map2 if the water was slime or not), there was also some Mercenary-looking card, Razik has an item (?), the Dampener that has a new model but never used because all enemies were just in front of your face, and then the Flares which I also never used. I didn't notice if I actually had an energy shield or an invisibility but from what I remember I never had them.

Can't say anything about the story because of the translator bug (and also forced human character bug) which happened every time. Am I supposed to open up the mappack throughout console? I am a Skaarj in the intro map but after that one I become human.
I seriously have no idea what's going on and I get all kind of bugs with 227; the few times I play on this version I constantly get bad impressions about it, and frankly it's not worth it for just some blurry coronas. Not to mention the annoying save bug is still not fixed.

The invisibility is near the start with the hawk nest, you're supposed to lunge to reach it. The dampener is really only useful for sneaking in to the village along with the invisibility, because it completely silences your lunge sounds. The card is used to either disable the mercenary signal in map 2's village, or it gives you access to a cache of supplies at the end of map 2b. The razik in the item selection is for enabling the spin attack, but it's pretty useless and disorienting.

227 wasn't used for just some coronas, it was needed for skeletal mesh support, weather effects, and most importantly, for some of the maps to be built without huge BSP holes or broken movers. It does sound like your 227 install has problems, because nobody on the team mentioned those bugs before.

Do the map titles show up for you at the start of each map? If not, it could be that the gametype isn't switching properly for whatever reason. It's supposed to force the player to be a Skaarj (at least in the first map IIRC).

Edit: For the titan, you're supposed to shoot one of his chains, and he'll free himself and make a big hole in a wall and kill some enemies.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 19:16

Alright, looks like I had to open Resurgence throughout "New" instead of selecting the mappack throughout Single Player botmatch, which is sorta weird because I thought the "New" window was solely for Unreal and RTNP (and RTNP is now gone? lol anyway)

So yeah now I actually see the hud and I suppose the translator messages work now.
Is there a way to change the HUD size? It's large.

And yeah I forgot about that Invisibility in map 1, I did get it I just forgot about it afterwards.

EDIT: I actually didn't notice the gametype on the botmatch list as well; that settles it at least! Thanks.
Last edited by UB_ on 04 Dec 2016, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 19:20

You should really check the readme, how to start the pack and the HUD settings are both in there.

Resurgence.ini has the settings, though off the top of my head I don't remember which ones you change.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016, 19:49

Either way, with the gametype stuff now solved I'll still be holding on with what I said some posts above. I looked the package's classes in the editor and the remaining weapons seem to work; not sure how many maps this campaign was supposed to have (or is it going to have if it's ever going to be finished) but I'd be personally ok if a heavy weapon like the WarlordGun or the MiniCannon would get introduced earlier (at least before Map 3 unless I missed some other big secret).
As for the Razik melees being generally useless that was going to be expected as Unreal was never really made for melee battles, and making the Razik melee useful would mean adding crapload of health around in order to encourage suicidal fighting, which at the same it'd make the gameplay ultra easy if you decide to use the ranged weapons instead. So it's a no-go.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 00:05

AlCapowned wrote:

UBerserker wrote:-Map 4 has some recycled content from The Fifth Vortex (the lava area); nothing bad but had to mention

That's because the crypt was a temple of Ehactora that was occupied and modified by the Skaarj Hunters.

That, and because Map 4's author was a lazy bastard. :B
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 00:10

yrex wrote:- There's a learn by dying place at the beginning of ResurgenceFour.

Where is this if you don't mind me asking? If it's at the beginning to open the doors, there are hopefully enough hints, like bloody body parts, etc, to give a clue as to what to do.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 00:57

Doublez-Down wrote:
yrex wrote:- There's a learn by dying place at the beginning of ResurgenceFour.

Where is this if you don't mind me asking? If it's at the beginning to open the doors, there are hopefully enough hints, like bloody body parts, etc, to give a clue as to what to do.

The falling stones? I suppose they can crush the player and if you're fast enough you can run to their spot before they fall down.

yrex
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 01:31

"crusher1".

There aren't really too many hints. The massacred bodies are a thing I'm used to, because you find them everywhere just like pokemen in japan. The message "Many who enter here will die." is also rather generic. The biggest problem is that these places are completely dark. I didn't even know about "spikes1" until I opened the map in the ed. Maybe it's supposed to be like that, but still I would prefer to have at least some time to react. Besides, it's not really challenging, because the players will just press "Restart <mapname>" (not losing very much progress) and avoid the trap the next time.

The other traps like the ones coming from the floor weren't a problem because you could already see that something was wrong. What I would do is either:
- make the corridor brighter and add some visible spikes,
- don't change the visibility, but instead make it automatic like the traps in aztec and foundry,
- make the trap slower or delayed to give the player time to react and precede it with some "mechanism" sound (AmbAncient.agears is a good one), or
- add some translator message like "Beware the traps!" that will make the players think twice before doing each move.
e-mail: ampoyrex at wp dot pl

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 02:03

Wait, there's a download for this in here somewhere?!?

I missed it!

1st page... I so blind.

I take it monsters are not available under ut99 right?

*cries*

User avatar gubar
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016, 08:19

I also made it available here now: http://unrealarchives.com/resurgence-alpha/

Previous Next