Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[rtnp] Unreal: Return to Na Pali Episode II: The Manhunt

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Unreal: Return to Na Pali Episode II: The Manhunt

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:52

Super interesting read! Thanks, SteadZ, for providing clarity, and best of luck with your personal project :) and thanks to Mister_Prophet for an inspiring post!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 10:40

Still, in spite of what's been said, I don't think Del can be faulted in terms of sheer ambition and imagination. I would argue the community would be all the better if there were more like him.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 12:17

Mister_Prophet wrote:I remember way back when, hearing you guys (mostly Del's enthusiasm in forum posts and in conversation with me privately) talk about the conglomerate joining of multiple projects. I encouraged development speaking with Del, but I was worried about the ambition I was seeing because it was so darn familiar. Big ideas sound cool on message boards and make for great screenshots, but it can get overwhelming even with a team of people working it out.

Interesting that you mention this.

Forgive me for bringing Jazz (Xenome) into this, but Xenome is a one man project and look at what is possible and is achieved. I'm not implying that it's easy, far from it, but he also had some setbacks and had to adapt (perhaps shrink) his original plans and yet produced something which (whether you like it or not) is more than up to par.
I always had the feeling that the plans for those 3 large campaigns were (not being disrespectful here) unrealistic considering the timeframe and real life becoming more prominent as one grows older (and wiser :) )

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 18:01

When I look at Xenome, I see a project that got where it did because the author focused on map creation. However, I'm not privy to the inner workings of the development (and sometimes one person can produce a lot of content) but the impression I get was that Jazz was making levels first and foremost. Maybe his development was different though, perhaps he could share.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 18:12

My kick on mapping was given by EXU2 after randomly shooting gibs all over the place on the Rikers cause I was bored as fuck and wanted more EXU maps to play

Mister_Prophet wrote:When I look at Xenome, I see a project that got where it did because the author focused on map creation. However, I'm not privy to the inner workings of the development (and sometimes one person can produce a lot of content) but the impression I get was that Jazz was making levels first and foremost. Maybe his development was different though, perhaps he could share.

jazz wrote: 

Calling.
ImageImage

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 19:57

SteadZ wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologise to any people I've let down in the past few years in terms of promised help or content (Bleeder, Sat42, Mr.Prophet, Resurgence).
I believed I could do more than I did.

Your work on Resurgence inspired me to work on it again! I was far from let down :)

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 20:32

I'd love to voluenteer as well.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017, 13:59

SteadZ wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologise to any people I've let down in the past few years in terms of promised help or content (Bleeder, Sat42, Mr.Prophet, Resurgence).

Echoing Teridax here, I think what you did for Resurgence was really good. We were lucky to have you on the team.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017, 18:35

all of the screenshots have been deleted from dropbox for some reason!..

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018, 16:28

UTupi wrote:
Z-enzyme wrote:Snowflakes texture has to be changed IMHO

Why? If it doesn't work it's a good reason why. But if it's artistic opinion, you should explain, in fairness. Not that I wouldn't listen to you.

Here's a sneak preview of the new snowflakes textures I made (only 5 years too late :lol:)

why is it so hard to capture moving particles well...
SZ

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018, 02:46

SteadZ wrote:
UTupi wrote:
Z-enzyme wrote:Snowflakes texture has to be changed IMHO

Why? If it doesn't work it's a good reason why. But if it's artistic opinion, you should explain, in fairness. Not that I wouldn't listen to you.

Here's a sneak preview of the new snowflakes textures I made (only 5 years too late :lol:)

why is it so hard to capture moving particles well...
SZ

IT'S A SIGNAL

THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT
M'nali

Previous