Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[ut] EXU2: Batshit Insane demo released

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008, 22:14

No, I hinted at Waff's response.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008, 22:25

Creavion wrote:If you think about a Missionspack or so, I would be thankful about new good maps, they make a lot of more fun to play as that old known stuff.

Acceptable exemptions are for example NyLeve and the Vortex Rikers in ONP, they belong to the story.

I see what you mean. I guess "new" isn't the best word for me to use; I should just use "revamped" or something. Anyway, while I totally understand where you are coming from, consider this:

Shadow wrote:out of many satisfied players enjoying your mod one just only one guy did the shame to express slight criticism, personally I respect everyone attempting to create something unique, so did you, but one always has to accept even negative (it even wasn't real criticism) criticism in order to improve oneself and his work

Oh, don't get me wrong; I'm not denying criticism or snubbing anyone in this thread for anything. I just honestly think that I've done enough work and made enough changes in the stock Unreal maps to consider them totally different in every way except geometry and [some] texturing. And, yeah, I keep forgetting that the original Demo had 6 maps, so there are only 4 new ones, but each map takes me a long time to perfect--sometimes a month or more.

Let's face it: making a map geometrically from scratch takes a ton of work, especially by today's standards. I don't really have the time or patience to make all-new maps anymore, let alone as quickly as I can convert existing ones and then modify them. Having the geometry done for you makes it much easier to focus on gameplay and specialty things.

Keep in mind that this conversion is no simple process, either, as I have said before. It's easy to see that yes, the sky is red, there are lots of monsters, and there are a few new triggers here and there, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are LOTS of little visual details that screenshots can't easily show, and I also have retextured most of the environment. The fire and brimstone theme isn't all you will see in EXU, either, as evidenced by the frozen wasteland maps, and there will be more "themes" later.

The most dramatic changes are in the gameplay and the EXU.u codebase, as I have said before, and they always will be. The EXU arsenal is made up of new weapons, and your enemies usually bear little resemblance to their originals. The game plays totally differently, too.

I didn't design this mod to be an all-new visual experience; I originally didn't even change the visuals in EXU1. In EXU2 I just said, "hey, why not?" And I picked a Hellish theme for the campaign. EXU has always been and always will be a gameplay mod, though, especially considering how well it works with MonsterSpawn and whatever mutators you want in MP games. The SP element of it is just one side of the mod; its visuals are just there to make it more flavorful. The bulk of the mod is in the code.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Mar 2008, 16:18

Previous