This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Dr. Walter
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: .

Post Posted: 16 May 2017, 05:38

Last edited by Dr. Walter on 17 Jan 2021, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
* ... get dunked on

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Gauging Interest for a New Potential Project

Post Posted: 16 May 2017, 18:01

It sounds to me like one of those special coop gametypes that modern games generally have, which provides an alternate playing experience compared to the campaign - basically do shit x and y that have hardly any relations to the main story but still fight revamped Unreal enemies under the Unreal gameplay.

It's very good for Coop - realistically it's the most functioning "last resort" idea to re-launch a new "Unreal 1" game nowadays, by using this kind of format. The reality though now is that Coop in Unreal (is this U1 or UT?) isn't that lively and this project feels sorta huge to make?
ImageImage

User avatar Dr. Walter

Post Posted: 16 May 2017, 21:58

Last edited by Dr. Walter on 17 Jan 2021, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
* ... get dunked on

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 May 2017, 00:36

I'm not too keen onto the SP focus, even though I understand running SP mods in Coop is always a fucking annoyance. This is mostly a personal issue because I don't find much satisfaction in playing randomized maps with randomized objectives that have a "non-canon story" aura to it, and when you play this type of stuff alone it gets repetitive rather quick.

Either way the problem here is how is this going to be achieved? From what I'm reading you're suggesting fusing together retail maps in a dynamic way - or just a random map switcher? I mean, some of the Unreal maps are unstable and require extreme attention for geometry stability during rebuild (Vandora and the Sunspire are massively awful offenders in this case). You may want to start with simple things such as Outpost 3J + SkyTown, or Harobed + Dark Arena in reverse. I'm expecting the pawn/item stuff to work alright (assuming here you're a coder) but the problem lies with the map system.

Honestly also I'm sad your other project seemed to have apparently gone onto a brick wall but oh well.
ImageImage

User avatar Dr. Walter

Post Posted: 17 May 2017, 02:57

Last edited by Dr. Walter on 17 Jan 2021, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
* ... get dunked on

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 May 2017, 19:03

Dr. Walter wrote:...
UBerserker wrote:Honestly also I'm sad your other project seemed to have apparently gone onto a brick wall but oh well.

Do not despair, TMC is by no means cancelled! The official thread for TMC will be seeing several updates over the coming weeks following the new developments with xPawns_UWXPR which will replace the outdated xPawns. The story and map list are all planned out at this stage and the main area of development now concerns further updates to xPawns_UWXPR (which I have been working on recently), maps and continuation of a complete redesign of various pawn skins, weapons and possibly models.

The chapter list is now present in the main TMC thread. I intend for the prologue chapter (chapter 0) to be tested/released once the pertinent elements are complete.

As for the "Infinity Plus" project, should it commence, TMC will still be developed alongside this one of course since they will definitely share significant elements such as the new pawns.

I been reading for months now without logging in and purposefully avoide commenting on anything. But UB voiced my concerns about possibel/probable cancellations.
And I'm sorry to say Dr. Walter, I'm very sceptical about the 3 projects reaching their (currently expected or hoped for) destination.
I've always been a firm believer that Unreal still has a few (meaning more than 5) years of life left in it. Unfortunately many promising mappers (and talented by the way) have left the scene and too many projects were announced ... and eventually cancelled. Seriously: one-man projects that take 3 years or more to finish are almost bound to run out of steam, and 3 at the same time ?? (I suspect you catch my drift).

Notwithstanding my scepticism, I'm still hopefull and will be one of the if not the most enthousiastic player trying out whatever comes my way (be it SP).

User avatar Dr. Walter

Post Posted: 17 May 2017, 21:22

Last edited by Dr. Walter on 17 Jan 2021, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
* ... get dunked on

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 May 2017, 23:00

Dr. Walter wrote:...
Thank you for the feedback so far everyone. From the opinions, it seems as if it would be better for this potential project to be put on hold in favour of focused developments on TMC. Certainly, within the future if several chapters of TMC are released and stable, enhanced progress on IP may be considered. Would this be the preferred route of development users would like to see?

Let's just say that it is my opinion that (considering the dwindling interest in Unreal) YOU are the one who should be 100% convinced and confident about what you are envisaging to produce with the projected timeframe (I'm talking about the U or UT engine). I am not in a position to evaluate the feasability but having seen so many projects postponed and eventually cancelled (some dude to unforeseen circumstances, but still), and taking my own experience with (non-U related) projects into account, I'ld say focus on the project which entices you the most, and use the other projects just for some variation/letting the brain rest and recuperate a bit.
You 'll have my full mental support (as will anyone trying to make maps) but don't set goals unreachable within an "acceptable" period. (and I sincerely hope you manage to produce the stuff you're thinking about - it sounds really interesting).

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 17 May 2017, 23:04

Dr. Walter wrote:(...)
Would this be the preferred route of development users would like to see?

Yes
cool concepts btw!!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.