UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

fyi Slith are Skaarj

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: fyi Slith are Skaarj

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 19:09

People still couldn't really confirm if the Slith were either Skaarj cousins as they were described or believed to be Na Pali natives because of them being mentioned in Ancient texts and images.

They are 100% Skaarj. They are represented on the Crypt coffins alongside Skaarj Warriors, Warlords and the (old-designed) Queens. They were unleashed by the Skaarj in their first invasion to Na Pali to roam the planet (and this happened maaaaaaaaaany years before Unreal), before Nali religion was a thing and temples being built.
ImageImage

PikaCommando
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Re: fyi Slith are Skaarj

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 19:50

I really need to see the Crypt level for myself one day. Sounds interesting.

But this brings up the obvious question; why can't the Skaarj spits acid like the Slith? Maybe they are just pets to the Skaarj, like how monkeys are to human? Are the cut content even canon?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 19:55

Crypt package is in UT anyway, therefore yes it's still canon and crypts were mentioned in the pre-release game information and most importantly in the novels.
ImageImage

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 21:58

Thought so. Slith faces resemble the faces of Skaarj (and pupae), and Slith and Skaarj Queens make similar sorts of growly elephant-like noises.

Makes me wonder, do Slith have pupae and Queens too?

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 22:42

I don't know from where but I already knew this fact, maybe from the Trivia thread?

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 23:28

UBerserker wrote:Crypt package is in UT anyway, therefore yes it's still canon and crypts were mentioned in the pre-release game information and most importantly in the novels.

Not that I mind expanding Unreal's canon, but the Crypt package being in UT only means that Epic reused a texture package, and the books were clearly made based on a lot of ideas that aren't accurate to the final game.

I do think the Slith and Skaarj are related, like the booklet says, but they could easily be cousins in the same way that humans and apes are related (like PikaCommando suggested). As for the crypts, if the Slith are that closely related to the Skaarj, that would be enough for them to get some representation even if they're not pets.

They're probably not 100% Skaarj, but really close.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 04 May 2016, 23:58

AlCapowned wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Crypt package is in UT anyway, therefore yes it's still canon and crypts were mentioned in the pre-release game information and most importantly in the novels.

Not that I mind expanding Unreal's canon, but the Crypt package being in UT only means that Epic reused a texture package, and the books were clearly made based on a lot of ideas that aren't accurate to the final game.

I do think the Slith and Skaarj are related, like the booklet says, but they could easily be cousins in the same way that humans and apes are related (like PikaCommando suggested). As for the crypts, if the Slith are that closely related to the Skaarj, that would be enough for them to get some representation even if they're not pets.

They're probably not 100% Skaarj, but really close.

I agree with AlCapowned.
Ultimately, it's still open to interpretation. I wouldn't be shocked if someone pretended the Slith were native to Na Pali. It fits just as well (when you're not taking into account the novels, which for the vast majority of players never existed - and while I know the main points about them, I've never read the books myself).
The booklet released with the game is the best lead we've got: Slith and Skaarj being related like species from the same family (see taxonomic ranks).
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 May 2016, 00:18

AlCapowned wrote:
UBerserker wrote:I do think the Slith and Skaarj are related, like the booklet says, but they could easily be cousins in the same way that humans and apes are related (like PikaCommando suggested).

Well yeah this is what I was meaning to say.
Other than that they are similar to Skaarj in various ways, like the similar green skin and the front teeth.

Honestly I find it kinda impossible for such a hostile-looking, slime-based monster to grow out of nowhere in Na Pali. Then the Gasbags are also a thing and those are native to the planet.
Funny thing the Slith isn't even mentioned in the UNBIBLE (seems like it's the only one not mentioned there unless it was the Skaarj Eel, assuming it wasn't the water stingray).
ImageImage

PikaCommando

Post Posted: 05 May 2016, 03:03

UBerserker wrote:
AlCapowned wrote:
UBerserker wrote:I do think the Slith and Skaarj are related, like the booklet says, but they could easily be cousins in the same way that humans and apes are related (like PikaCommando suggested).

Well yeah this is what I was meaning to say.
Other than that they are similar to Skaarj in various ways, like the similar green skin and the front teeth.

Honestly I find it kinda impossible for such a hostile-looking, slime-based monster to grow out of nowhere in Na Pali. Then the Gasbags are also a thing and those are native to the planet.
Funny thing the Slith isn't even mentioned in the UNBIBLE (seems like it's the only one not mentioned there unless it was the Skaarj Eel, assuming it wasn't the water stingray).

Speaking of the UNBIBLE, are the Titans related to the Skaarj too? There it's stated as the Skaarj Titan, but everyone else says it's a native. It's kinda odd that they are smart enough to throw rocks to kill anything nearby around instead of using their own body for melee (unless they are close enough) yet does not do so to feed themselves, which is probably why the Fly and Manta attacks others. So why do Titans kill?
Last edited by PikaCommando on 05 May 2016, 14:00, edited 2 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 May 2016, 09:48

Eh it's not like you need a brain to figure out things can be thrown somewhere. Primitive men used stones.

Titans were referred as Skaarj Titans in the UNBIBLE yeah but I think that changed in development.
ImageImage

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 06 May 2016, 02:42

I always figured Slith were Skaarj-Mermaids.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 May 2016, 10:59

Sat42 wrote:taxonomic ranks

You guys should build a visual one of these. There's a ton of discussion threads but I've never seen a relationship tree backed up by reference and canon. Could be a really cool thing to do once and for all.

PikaCommando

Post Posted: 06 May 2016, 22:03

gopostal wrote:

You guys should build a visual one of these. There's a ton of discussion threads but I've never seen a relationship tree backed up by reference and canon. Could be a really cool thing to do once and for all.

I'm not familiar with those things, so I made this instead.

We can try to ask CliffyB or Epic Games for their thoughts on the Slith/Skaarj matter, but I doubt they'll answer. It sucks that we're unlikely to see the Skaarj Homeworld or how they all relate to each other anytime soon now that they're doing UT4.

Also, are Slith ever in one of those big important Skaarj bases in Unreal 1?

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 06 May 2016, 22:47

PikaCommando wrote:
gopostal wrote:

I'm not familiar with those things, so I made this instead.

(picture)

We can try to ask CliffyB or Epic Games for their thoughts on the Slith/Skaarj matter, but I doubt they'll answer. It sucks that we're unlikely to see the Skaarj Homeworld or how they all relate to each other anytime soon now that they're doing UT4.

Also, are Slith ever in one of those big important Skaarj bases in Unreal 1?

The Queen totally looks like a Skaarj, a pupae, and a Slith together.
1+1+1 = 3, three forms in one, Half-Life 3 confirmed. (Or maybe Unreal 3)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 13 May 2016, 22:41

gopostal wrote:

I'll think about it ;)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Next