This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Best and worst retail maps?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

PikaCommando
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Best and worst retail maps?

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 16:14

I see a lot of people saying good things about the graphics and enemy AI when talking about Unreal, but no one talks about Unreal's level design like others do with Half-Life/HL2 (aside from the map of the week stuff here).

So what do you guys think are the best and worst levels from Unreal and RTNP, in terms of level architecture, layout, monster/item placements, special moments, etc?

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: Best and worst retail maps?

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 19:57

Worst map: Mothership Basement. Super short and kind of boring. Only thing it has going for it is the lasers and the teleporter, that's it really.

Best map: ....Do I have to pick one?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 20:31

RTNP is a gigantic mess.
ImageImage

PikaCommando

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 21:00

YappieChappie wrote:Worst map: Mothership Basement. Super short and kind of boring. Only thing it has going for it is the lasers and the teleporter, that's it really.

Best map: ....Do I have to pick one?

Yes, you do :lol:

Or at least a best mapper if you find that most of the good maps are made by the same guy.

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016, 04:29

UBerserker wrote:RTNP is a gigantic mess.

True that, though RTNP:UE was pretty damned nice, if still not 100% 'complete' in a few spots (I'll point out where if you decide to do RTNP:UE as the next map of week pack.)

PikaCommando wrote:Yes, you do :lol:

Or at least a best mapper if you find that most of the good maps are made by the same guy.

Oh damn, well.. Let's see. Can I do a tie? I can think of a couple that stand out for me, but still can't really pick between 'em. I don't know the maps by mapper well enough.

PikaCommando

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016, 21:56

What about common flaws, then? Are there any recurring design problems in the retail levels? (Eg; bullshit monster placements, etc)

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016, 06:35

My favorite map was Bluff Eversmoking, music track was very atmospheric. least favorite would have to be Dasa cellars but even then that was a good one, just the layout was a bit off.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016, 07:03

Well there are no "poorly designed" maps nor are there maps that can be labelled as bad.
However, there's a few diamond shinin' weaker than the others.These are the Mothership levels.
It's almost impossible to pick a map and label it the best though.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016, 10:37

Mothership levels > all.

PikaCommando wrote:What about common flaws, then? Are there any recurring design problems in the retail levels? (Eg; bullshit monster placements, etc)

It'll still be always monsters behind some sort of walls, and connection issues between areas and such. Vortex's prison is canonically disconnected from the rest of the ship aside the vent shaft.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016, 01:47

PikaCommando wrote:What about common flaws, then? Are there any recurring design problems in the retail levels? (Eg; bullshit monster placements, etc)

If you take a look at the newer maps by competent authors you can see a lot of creative techniques not present in the base game. I can't fault Epic though. A lot has changed in fps since Unreal. Things like opening doors by bumping into them for example, are extremely lazy in a modern context. The "kill all enemies that spawn" segments on ISV Kran were incrediblely unintuitive.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016, 11:07

UBerserker wrote: Vortex's prison is canonically disconnected from the rest of the ship aside the vent shaft.

Hahaha XD how have I never noticed that before?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything