Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Favorite and least favorite enemy?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Least Favorite Enemy?

Brute
No votes
Skaarj Trooper
No votes
Skaarj Warrior
6%
Tentacle
9%
Gasbag
9%
Mercenary
9%
Fly
19%
Pupae
9%
Bloblet
No votes
Biterfish
16%
Devilfish
6%
Titan
6%
Krall
3%
Manta
3%
Slith
3%
Manta
No votes

Total votes: 32

PikaCommando
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Favorite and least favorite enemy?

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016, 19:47

Discuss your favorite and least favorite enemies from Unreal 1/RTNP, from either gameplay, aesthetic, or design aspects.

Here's mine:

Favorite: Skaarj Warrior/Trooper, Brute, Mercenary

They are fun to fight, and play almost like a deathmatch encounter. Makes for interesting firefights all the time.

Least favorite: Fly, Pupae, Bloblet

In addition to being disgusting as hell (looking at you, giant-eyes with long feelers), they all sucked designwise imo. The Flies always sneak up on me even though I'm wearing loud headphones (I hear sometimes they just spawn behind you, like in houses. Actually, how did the Nali even thrive for this long if their homes are always invaded by giant flies?). The Bloblets are just weird; they can't hurt me on ISV Kran, but they can on UMS Prometheus. As for the Pupae, it just has that real annoying stock spider sounds that it keeps spamming all the time. Also, the Pupae spam on the Sunspire still gives me headache.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Favorite and least favorite enemy?

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016, 19:57

Nothing more disgusting than Biterfish. They're also pointless and uncool.

Say NO to Biterfish in Unreal.

Queen is absolutely the best enemy in the game. Imposing, fast, great for long leaping, has a shield which blocks all attacks, can teleport, you can attach events to her scream and her primary attack only stops being effective in very specific situations. There isn't a thing she can't do.
ImageImage

Bleeder91<NL>
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016, 20:13

I tolerate everything apart from mercenaries. Their shields are just OP and extremely annoying to deal with once they figure out they can reactivate the second it wears out.
Though lately I've been having issues with Mantas too, but that's due to my weapons using mesh tracing....

Favourite would be the Predator. Funny little critter, especially when there's 50 of them :D

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016, 02:37

Least favorites: Flies, pupae, and devilfish. Somehow they always manage to sneak up on me and take a huge chunk of my health in 1 bite. Especially those f***ing flies & pupae. Pupae bites hurt A LOT.

Favorites would be Mercenaries, the Skaarj Queen, and Skaarj Troopers, specifically, the Skaarj Officers. I just love the design/color scheme of the Officers' armor. Queens & Mercenaries have complicated designs/skins themselves, and are challenging enemies to boot. They both make cool noises too =)

User avatar Preki

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016, 17:11

Krall and biterfish.

Krall are so dumb for a late game enemy. You can fend them off easily with non-upgraded dispersion pistol since they are sluggish and rarely dodge your attacks. On top of that, their heads make perfect target practice for Razorjack and Rifle. Even their corpses used to be annoying but that was thankfully fixed in 227.

As of biterfish - these pose no danger and don't need to be attacked, they're hard to hit anyway... Unless you're low on health and must swim through water filled with these little critters. Believe it or not, I was killed by them while scouting for health packs underwater in cetain campaign.

User avatar Carbon

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016, 13:18

Tentacles. I don't mind a sentient creature fighting back, but those things just sit there crapping darts. Not a 'challenge' in any way, just there to sap your health. Hate 'em. My favorite way to spend a flak ball.

Love the Skaarj in any form. Tough and agile...a good challenge.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016, 23:07

My favourite enemy would be the mercenaries - I like their design and what we know of their technology and nature. They also have some interesting animations and cool tricks to bring to a battle - even if their shields can be trouble at times.
My least favourite is probably gasbags because they're annoyingly good at dodging and just look and sound gross. Not to mention the stupidity that is giant gasbags attacking their children. Flies, mantas and devilfish are boring because of their super predictable attack patterns.
In my mind, biterfish are more level decoration than actual enemies. If they're set to be hostile, do they even make an actual effort to chase you in the water?

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 01:50

Favorite enemies: Skaarj warrior caste (design, like to play as them in MCoop), the queen (design, MCoop), Krall (sound effects they make)

Least favorite: Biterfish (annoying), devilfish (annoying), flies (annoying!), pupae and gasbags (annoying and fugly)
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 08:52

Legendslayer222 wrote: If they're set to be hostile, do they even make an actual effort to chase you in the water?

Yes, they directly swim toward you.
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 13:33

UBerserker wrote:
Legendslayer222 wrote: If they're set to be hostile, do they even make an actual effort to chase you in the water?

Yes, they directly swim toward you.

Okay, so maybe they're smarter than I gave them credit for. :shy: Still, you can't exactly "fight" them, so I guess they're more like an environmental hazard (eg lava) than an enemy, something to provide a risk vs reward factor to looting in water pools off the beaten path.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 13:38

Anything with splash damage kills them instantly.
ImageImage

PikaCommando
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016, 16:03

Oh yeah, Biterfish definitely caught me by surprise when I first played Unreal. Hate 'em (and also killing them is a waste of ammo or time if you're using the Dispersion Pistol).

What about any enemies that you guys dislike to put into your levels?