Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

cut cutscenes necessary to Attacked?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: cut cutscenes necessary to Attacked?

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 13:17

Hey folks, sorry to bug you again after my bust of a question re White Witch Complex--but I have something of a similar question with another pack, a question which is, I think a bit more justifiable. I also have an observation about a third pack, but I'll make a separate thread for that in order to keep from getting mixed up (to paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd, I have a simple kind o' mind).

The question here concerns the pack "Attacked". Setting aside the coop download, there are two different versions of this pack at http://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/ , and the review here at UnrealSP does not disentangle them. One version is from 2002, the other is from 2005. The 2002 version has maps that the 2005 version does not. (The 2002 release also has a number of unnecessary resources which were eliminated from the 2005 pack, but that is inconsequential). Now, the maps that were cut in 2005 appear to be, with poetic justice, cutscene maps (an intro, a middle one, and an outro; and sorry for the pun--can't resist).

So what's the concern from a player's standpoint? Well, UnrealSP reviewed this pack (legacy/community/reviews/attacked.html) and said the story was a decent part of it. Yet cutscenes were not mentioned in the review, just "scripted sequences", which of course need not be wholesale-scripted maps per se; they may simply be scripted parts of playable maps, and indeed the tenor of the review implies that the latter is what the reviewer has in mind.

Therefore--since UnrealSp reviewed the pack and gave it marks for story, yet mentioned no cutscenes--I feel justified in asking: are the cutscenes that were cut in 2005 necessary to the story?

This is an important question because one presumes that the 2005 release is improved in some way (bugixes and whatnot), so that's the version that should be played; but one does not wish to miss important plot elements by missing the cutscenes either.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: cut cutscenes necessary to Attacked?

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 13:25

From what I'm seeing on that OU downloads page, there is only the original Attacked! from 2002. The others are a) a co-op version edited by a "DrakeCrowind" and b) a 2015 version fixed to work with the older patch 225, as I believe Attacked! only worked on 226f.

The 2015 version includes a file named "OriginalReadme", making it safe to assume that it's an external edit by somebody else for compatibility purposes only, and omitting the cutscenes is also done for the same reason.

Is that what you meant with "2005 release"?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Ironword

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 14:52

ividyon wrote:Is that what you meant with "2005 release"?
Yup; doesn't matter that the site says "2015", as the maps within that archive were all compiled in 2005.

So we can assume that the 2005 recompiling was merely done so someone could play on 225. Therefore the only reason to use that version is if you have mods etc. you wish to use but which are broken in 226+. (Though why wouldn't you recompile the cutscenes too? Did 226 break previous scripts in a way that made easy version-recompiles an impossibility?)

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 21:00

The story is you were attacked and land on a planet, and then escape. There's not really a lot to it beyond that. I mean, I made it when I was like 13-14 years old :o

Each cutscene map is pretty quick and has (like the rest of the pack) terrible 14-year-old writing and exposition, so it's really just good to focus on the gameplay since everything else is primitive.

Ironword

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 21:43

From the horse's mouth! Thx.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016, 08:17

Buff Skeleton wrote: I mean, I made it when I was like 13-14 years old :o

That's impressive honestly, I would not have guessed anywhere near that. Your young teen self had an artistic eye and real talent. I've played those maps out multiple times so thank you for the entertainment value.

Gonna go play through them on my server now that I'm thinking about it. NumerOfTimesPlayed ++