ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Hypothetical "Unreal: Ultimate Edition"

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008, 00:38

Of course there would need to be changes to geometry and storyline in various maps, particularly where the sequence of maps is changed. I suggested several myself in the early stages of this thread.

I just don't think that the addition of completely new maps would be appropriate.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 00:16

I couldn't help giving more thought to exactly how I'd undertake a project such as this one. The downside is that I really want to make it now, in spite of myself. :P

Even in maps where no significant changes are proposed, the creature & item placement should be moved around a bit, so as to freshen up the game experience and provide slightly less of an excess of ammo. Certain maps could focus, via their ammo placement, on the use of specific (sometimes underused) weapons. One or two suggestions are included here.

I'm sure there are many ways in which the following could be improved. I put it all together very quickly.

Weapons

Dispersion Pistol; Automag; Stinger; ASMD; Eightball; Flak Cannon; Razorjack; GES Biorifle; Rifle; Minigun; Quadshot; CAR.

Maps

Flyby – Flyby.umx

No change needed here.

Intro Sequence – Title.umx

I’d quite like to see a title sequence of some kind, optionally an in-game cinematic, if only because Title.umx kicks ass.

1. Vortex Rikers - Vortex.umx

I would keep this map fundamentally the same. A classic intro to a classic game; no combat, for atmosphere; why change it?

2. NyLeve’s Falls - Dusk.umx

Use the retail version as a base, but add the “missing” areas from the beta version, including Sacred Passage. This is the first map to utilise the fixed hub system.

Gameplay should be pitched at the same level of difficulty as the retail version for these very early stages of the game, with the same scripted introduction to the LesserBrutes, but with other creature and item placements altered to make the game a fresher experience.

3. Rrajigar Mines - DigSh.umx

Fundamentally the same as the retail version, but with creature and item placements altered. Again, no significant increase in difficulty is required as yet.

4. Depths of Rrajigar - DigSh.umx

Fundamentally the same as the retail version, but with creature and item placements altered. Again, no significant increase in difficulty is required as yet.

4a. NyLeve’s Falls – Dusk.umx

The return to the hub is a good opportunity to spawn additional creatures.

5. Chizra - Nali Water God - Chizra1.umx

The water environment is a challenge in itself and I see no need for great changes here. Creature and item placements altered.

6. The Ceremonial Chambers - Seti.umx

The water environment is a challenge in itself and I see no need for great changes here. Creature and item placements altered.

6a. NyLeve’s Falls – Dusk.umx

The return to the hub is a good opportunity to spawn additional creatures.

7. Dark Arena - Nali.umx

This is the first map where I see a significant opportunity to hike up the number of creatures. Skaarj are few and far between here and the map could perhaps use a few more. Creature and item placements altered. No change to Titan fight.

8. Harobed Village - Hub2.umx

No significant build changes from the retail version, but maybe more opposition. The Flak Cannon should probably not be introduced until much later, perhaps some way into the "RtNP section".

9. Terraniux Underground - K_Vision.umx

No significant changes from the retail version. Translucent biowaste pools please!

10. Terraniux - K_Vision.umx

With the Flak Cannon absent, this map could place more emphasis on the use of the Stinger and Eightball. Translucent biowaste pools please!

11. Noork’s Elbow - Fourth.umx

No significant build changes. Perhaps this map could feature more Mercs in groups with MercenaryElites.

12. Temple of Vandora - UTemple.umx

No significant build changes. This map could perhaps place emphasis on the use of the Biorifle.

13. The Trench - Fifth.umx

No significant changes from the retail version.

14. ISV-Kran Deck 4 - Newmca9.umx

15. ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2 - Kran32.umx

16. ISVDeck1 - Kran2.umx

17. Spire Village - Spire.umx

18. The Sunspire - Spire.umx

No significant changes from the retail version. Less ammo!

19. Gateway to Na Pali - Surface.umx

No significant build changes from the retail version. Krall still introduced here. All three sky island maps could place increased emphasis on the use of the Razorjack, leaving the Rifle for later.

20. Na Pali Haven - SkyTwn.umx

No significant build changes from the retail version. Significantly more opposition required.

21. Outpost 3J - Isotoxin.umx / Newmca16.umx for the church

No significant build changes from the retail version. A good opportunity for tougher combat and definitely for Razorjack fights.

22. Edge of Na Pali - Twilight.umx

This map should be turned to night. The Combat Assault Rifle could be introduced here; perhaps in this map we find some dead marines, who have been sent down to the surface to locate the Prometheus (it could be a secret mission, providing a workaround for the fact that the planet is uncharted). Predators still introduced here. Ammo provided for a broader range of weapons, and tougher opposition.

23. Neve's Crossing - Neve.umx

This map should be turned to night. Ammo provided for a broader range of weapons, and tougher opposition. Introduce a Nali presence.

24. The Eldora Well - Sacred.umx

Difficult to know how to make best use of this one. Maybe place emphasis on the use of the Stinger and Minigun.

25. Glathriel Village pt. 1 - Hub2.umx

26. Glathriel Village pt. 2 - Hub2.umx

This map could introduce the Quadshot. Spinners still introduced here.

27. Approaching UMS Prometheus - Starseek.umx

No significant build changes from the retail version. Translator messages. More opposition.

28. UMS Prometheus - Moroset.umx

No significant build changes from the retail version. Obviously a different range of weapons. The ship is still overrun with Mercs.

29. Inside UMS Prometheus - StarOne.umx

The player’s arrival on the bridge alerts to the Marines to the exact location of the Prometheus and they attack.

OR: Have the Marines arrive at the end of the previous map. The player is captured and, in this map, regains consciousness and finds that his weapons have been stripped away and tries to escape (Marines become the main enemy for the map).

30. Spire Valley - Newmca12.umx

A hybrid of FHub4 and Spire Valley. The map could use the FHub4 terrain (with the lake) as its base, but with the theme changed to match the RtNP version, including the introduction of the water gazebos, the crashed SkyElevator, the Titans and the Nali chapel (which could replace the unused temple entrance). TranslatorEvents introducing the concept of Skaarj “temples” in the area.

31. Soledad (need a new name for this one) - Soledad1.umx

Nighttime version. A Pupae breeding station. Why it has the Crypt theme needs some explanation. Time to introduce the Flak Cannon. Krall have the beta skin.

31a. Spire Valley – Newmca12.umx

The player encounters a Marine squad sent to hunt him down.

32. Temple of Jrath (a.k.a. Morose) - Cyrene.umx

It’s starting to get light outside. The role of Jrath and superstition in high-tech Skaarj society needs expanding. Krall have the beta skin.

33. Nagomi Passage - Journey.umx

Daylight, although perhaps done better than in the RtNP version. The RtNP version should be used as a base for this one, but with changes made to reintroduce the proper entrances to Aztec and Nexus, and the area beneath Foundry. Time to introduce the Rifle, located above the entrance to Foundry.

34. Velora Temple - Suspense.umx

Based on Aztec rather than the RtNP version. More opposition. Introduce a storyline about Velora as the God of War; tie it to a legendary origin for the Titans (and maybe the Gasbags), linked to Velora Pass later in the game and maybe Dark Arena.

34a. Nagomi Passage – Journey.umx

More “natural” opposition.

35. Nexus (need a new name for this one) - SkyCity.umx

The best treatment I can think of for this rather ugly map is to make it incredibly dark and moody, taking inspiration from Inoxx’s heavy use of candles. This might function best as a torture chamber for the Nali, complete with blood drains etc. In fact, the lava could all be replaced with blood.

36. Nexus End (need a new name for this one) - Undrwrld.umx

Need to make a more intense boss battle out of this one.

36a. Nagomi Passage

Infested with Skaarj who have emerged from Foundry.

37. Foundry Tarydium Plant - Found99.umx

More opposition, maybe bolder lighting, more scripted scenes and translator messages.

38. Bounds of Foundry - Boundary.umx (preferably with a fixed loop)

More opposition and translator messages. Have the player go up at the end, not down. The big open area with the shuttle could be the scene of another Marine fight.

39. Outside Cryox - Magnus.umx

Icy theme. This map needs a lot adding to it. The big empty area before Cryox could involve the crossing of a lake by boat, or clambering about rocks and planks in a hazardous frozen lake. Introduce a bit of fighting, probably involving Skaarj on one side of the lake and Mercs on the other.

40. Cryox - Inoxx.umx

Extra rooms required at the end to provide a proper exit. Much more combat, using NitrogenSlith in the flooded sections, and dry areas to escape to during the combat.

41. Watcher of the Skies - Watcher.umx

No significant build changes from the retail version. Populated with Mercs and StoneTitans.

42. Gala's Peak - Gala.umx

This could either be much the same as the retail version or it could be completely overhauled to make it much more complex, like RtNP’s answer to Bluff Eversmoking as it should really have been, using the valley bottom as well as the plateau and changing the interior of the fortress. Introduce dead Skaarj to the map.

43. Escape from Na Pali (renamed) (different exit) - Mountain.umx

We would need it to be dark again for this map. Either have it get dark during Watcher of the Skies and Gala’s Peak, or imply that this is the other side of the planet (not sure about doing that, though).

This map could be a frontier fortress for an ancient Nali shipping route leading through Velora Pass, Dasa Pass and Serpent Canyon, in which case it should be changed to include a harbour area and maybe a ship. In the mean time, it has been commandeered by Marines. More dead Skaarj. The player must gain access to an underground tunnel network, via an entrance located either in the RtNP Warlord area or the shuttle area, to get to the next map.

44. Velora Pass - Guardian.umx

Keep all of the retail version’s content, but add the beta entrance, bringing the player out in the teleport area. Suggest with new human corpses & logs that Kira Argmanov’s search party came straight through here after escaping from Outpost 3J.

45. Bluff Eversmoking - Eversmoke.umx

No significant build or story changes from the retail version. Much more opposition.

46. Dasa Mountain Pass - Newmca7.umx

47. Cellars at Dasa Pass - Newmca7.umx

No significant changes from the retail version. Add TranslatorEvents.

48. Serpent Canyon - WarGate.umx

49. Nali Castle - WarGate.umx

No significant build changes from the retail version. More opposition.

50. DemonLord's Lair - WarGate.umx / Warlord.umx

51. Demon Crater - Crater.umx

52. MotherShip Basement

53. MotherShip Lab - Unreal4.umx

54. MotherShip Core - Unreal4.umx

55. Skaarj Generator - Unreal4.umx / Warlord.umx

56. Illumination

57. The Darkening - Unreal4.umx

58. The Source Antechamber - EndEx.umx

59. The Source - QueenSong.umx

60. Ending Sequence - utend.umx

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 02:48

This is potentially something that would be quite awesome for all who have ever (and still :twisted: ) play this amazing game........God bless any who would actually undertake it :lol: :tup:
Old as Dirt

User avatar Rarsonic

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 02:53

Oh well, Hellscrag. I'd rather purpose to extend the storylines to a broader part of the story, such as the SpaceMarines one (for example, finding dead marines both from the Prometheus and from the rescue party in early stages) and I'll put the CAR for picking up earlier. Aside of our disagreement on music choices (let's not get to that again :lol: ), the rest is fine with me.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 11:26

Aside the music choice, it's all right for me.

Nexus sounds completely right for me. Nexus End... no idea for this one right now.
Terraniux needs less powerful Mercenaries. And SkyBase needs a Skaarj Trooper boss of some sort.
Bluff needs a ****load of more opposition, while Dasa Cellars needs less ammo.

Lastly, the Giant Gasbag needs to be stronger. I'll probably create a tutorial about how to make Giant Gasbag worth of a great fight.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 15:56

sounds good to me.. :D :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Ryu
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 18:53

Lastly, the Giant Gasbag needs to be stronger. I'll probably create a tutorial about how to make Giant Gasbag worth of a great fight.

G. Gasbag would probably function better if they were not damaged by the children and fight eachother.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 19:03

Ryu wrote:

G. Gasbag would probably function better if they were not damaged by the children and fight eachother.

Hardly that. Play Map 6 of Deja Vù 2 which has a Giant Gasbag at the end. You can kill him by standing still and shooting ASMD bolts until he dies. And he doesn't even manage to shoot a fireball or summon someone. Just lame :/

Other GGB fights aren't somewhat harder as well.
ImageImage

Woolie Wool
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008, 05:32

If you're worried about ruining the value of Unreal Gold as a salable product, why not encrypt the installer of this hypothetical map pack and put in a step where the installer checks for a valid copy of Unreal 1 before installing?

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008, 16:29

Woolie Wool wrote:If you're worried about ruining the value of Unreal Gold as a salable product, why not encrypt the installer of this hypothetical map pack and put in a step where the installer checks for a valid copy of Unreal 1 before installing?

...which is simple actually. :tup:
/start rant
Which reminds me.. I absolutely HATE the way the installer works for the Multimedia patch from oldunreal. It asks you where you have installed it.. it should be able to get that info from the registry, for Darkon's sake! :tdown: :shake:
/end rant
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 11:24

If I could modify Unreal/RNP anyway I liked, I would definitely add at least a couple magic-based Nali weapons. Maybe a magical staff which enables you to fire either fireballs or frost shards (you can toggle between them) which can track your enemies. Plus a couple magic-based powerups, say a spell scroll that allows you to fly. These would be ancient treasures lost even to the Nali themselves, which would explain why they couldn't use them themselves to fight the Skaarj.

I'd also add a couple maps with Indian-based architecture and design, built by some long-lost Nali tribe. Face it, there's just too much about the Nali that reminds you of the Hindu gods and goddesses, with their multiple arms and levitating cross-legged in the air etc.

I'd also allow the player to choose to play as a Nali or a Skaarj if s/he wants to. (Thought up a story for the Skaarj in a thread I started in 'Content Creation'.)

Finally, I'd improve on the look of the water and vegetation in the maps. By making the water look similar to that in Morrowind, for instance, and adding more and better-looking water plants to underwater areas.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 11:41

Taz wrote:I'd also add a couple maps with Indian-based architecture and design, built by some long-lost Nali tribe. Face it, there's just too much about the Nali that reminds you of the Hindu gods and goddesses, with their multiple arms and levitating cross-legged in the air etc.

Vandora as Indra and Chizra as Vritra.
Last edited by UB_ on 22 Jul 2008, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 11:44

Yes! Yes! :tup:

I'll have to add a large statue of Shiva somewhere too. The music will definitely be UTemple.umx. :P

BTW, Vandora can't be Indra. Vandora is female, whereas Indra is male. :wink:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008, 11:53

The reason of the comparison is that both are thunder deities.

IMO, the only other being closest to Vandora is Shiva due to the color blue.
ImageImage

User avatar Taz

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 03:29

Agreed.

A Nali who spits Yoga fire and has elastic arms so he can punch a Skaarj from several yards away oughta be fun. But Capcom might sue me for creating such a mod. :D

Previous Next