Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Ballistic Blood for 227 (2.0 GREEN BLOOD UPDATE)

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Ballistic Blood for 227 (2.0 GREEN BLOOD UPDATE)

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011, 23:39

Last Updated: Nov 13th, 2012

Download

Version 0.1 (first public release): forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1887&p=57101#p57101

Version 2.0 GREEN BLOOD UPDATE: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1887&p=73592#p73592

Overview

History: Ballistic Blood, named after the mutator for UT2k4 that comes with Ballistic Weapons. This started out by simply replacing textures, and then I just kept developing upon it more and more. Ideas are based off of the original Ballistic Blood mutator, combined with my own ideas due to limitations in the editor. Hey...sometimes limitations can be a good thing...

Description: This is a mutator intended for supplying you gore junkies (like mwah) with the most sickening xtra gory effects ever imaginable! Well...at least until the engine craps out and your FPS drops below 10... This mutator is for 227 only, as it is based off of normal 227 blood. I'm not really looking for realism here, as much as just some sick effects to satisfy my blood cravings. I'll try not to over-exaggerate it TOO much though...

Media

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEngke7nsn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZi3fvGYCU

Screenies:

click for hi-rez

Progress

Features:

Key: Green = Complete | Red = Incomplete

-Supports all weapons and pawns
-New blood splatter textures (Credit to the Ballistic Blood mod for UT2k4.)
-New blood puff, spray, and splash effects/textures.
-Blood sprays have trails.
-Pawns bleed dependent on where it is shot. (like gushing blood...not just a drip every now and then).
-Support for green blooded pawns.
-Support for blue blooded pawns. (maybe)
-Bloody explosion for carcasses when they are gibbed.
-Size of gibbed explosion dependent on size of carcass.
-Blood dissipates in air (For example, a blood spray or globule that would normally leave a big splatter, would eventually break up in the air, and instead leave a smaller blood splatter for each individual blood particle)
-Blood sprays relative to pawns velocity (e.g. You rocket a cow halfway across the map, the blood sprays and trails follow)
-Carcasses and gibs never disappear (as for decals, that is already an option in 227)
-Carcasses pre-added to levels will automatically have blood splatters around the carcass.
-Pawns get bloodier the more they get damaged. (another maybe here)
-Gib blood splat size depends on gib size.

Known Bugs & Issues:

-Gib splats don't work online. [Fixed] *Thank you UA!*
-Blood Pools don't spawn when carcasses never disappear. [Fixed]
-Original blood puff, spray, splash, and trail are not replaced correctly. [Fixed] *Woot Spawn Notify 277g \o/*
-BBBleedEmit doesn't die with the pawn it's attached to, and usually gets teleported to the center of the map for some reason. [Fixed]
-Accessed nones spamming log. [Fixed] *Thank you Booda Flow!! =D*
-BBBleedEmit and BBGibTrailEmit particles suddenly vanishes when emitter died [Fixed] *Thanx Dots ^^*
-GPF when ridiculous amounts of blood and decals being spawned, and when reconnecting/switching maps sometimes. EDIT: Precaching seems to fix the level switch GPF. Also I think these crashes may only happen on low end systems like my laptop right now. Have yet to test on my main PC
-Low end machines will probably suffer a major performnace decrease...but I don't think this can be helped.

I'll probably be running a public test server with this mod once 227g is released. I'll post it here when I do.

Special thanks to Qtit, Waffnuffly, and UArchitech for helping me with this. =)
Last edited by Shivaxi on 22 Dec 2016, 18:20, edited 30 times in total.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Ballistic Blood for 227

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011, 00:29

I love it. Well gonna work on that attaching and spawning stuff, so you DO finish it XD

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Ballistic Blood for 227

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011, 03:51

Thanx Qtit, but I actually just got the attach vertex code working tonight...just need to get the right effect for it. But it's working flawlessly now, so I can check that done on the list ^_^

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Ballistic Blood for 227 (WIP)

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 02:59

Ballistic Blood was a major reason why I played UT2K4 for as long as I did, and why I still have it installed.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 04:16

Mister_Prophet wrote:Ballistic Blood was a major reason why I played UT2K4 for as long as I did, and why I still have it installed.

Dido for me 8)

I use to run a Ballistic Weapons server actually with Ballistic Blood enabled...god that was so fun...

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011, 03:39

Blood, I looooove blood, gimme blood...........
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011, 08:42

Upload another video of a pawn getting destroyed, Shiv? It seems like a lot more has been done since the first video was uploaded.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011, 22:12

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:Upload another video of a pawn getting destroyed, Shiv? It seems like a lot more has been done since the first video was uploaded.

Your wish has been granted \o/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZi3fvGYCU

Updated first post as well

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011, 22:31

lol @ "UArchitech"

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011, 22:33

Waffnuffly wrote:lol @ "UArchitech"

I know *facepalm* he already pointed that out haha

ffffff i dont feel like re-exporting and re-uploading blah... :P

I'll just make a note in the comments or something

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011, 04:43

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

Vextex-attach bleeding is incredible, though I have to admit that my favorite is the pre-calculated blood splatters around carcasses. I've wanted this since 227 supported blood decals.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011, 18:19

VERY nice! :tup: :tup: :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011, 22:57

Lots of good ideas and materials used there, but the red mist that appears during gibbing really has to go. I am not experienced with ways of exploding people, but I know for sure that spewing a giant cloud of bright red fog looks terrible and doesn't fit with the rest of the darker blood effects. Make the duration much shorter and the color much darker.

And since you're experienced with audio: Maybe add more gory sound effects, like, uh, the sounds that occur when lots of blood instantly splatter all over a surface or whatever. Something new, we've all heard the weird UT gib sounds before.

Man, we're all sickos, being excited over better displays of gore and horrific violence, even regarding gibbing as "satisfying". Weird! :D
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011, 23:14

Haha indeed.

Yeah I was considering doing new sound effects. For the body gib explosion, that'll be easy. Dunno about hit sounds or gib bouncing sounds though. I'll have to look into it.

As for the brightness of the blood, I agree it's a bit overkill. Unfortunately though, making it darker isn't that easy, as I'm using alphablend for all the blood puff emitter effects, and making it darker seems to just make it not as visible instead of a darker color. I'll see what I can do about it though.

I plan on releasing a v1.0 version of this when 227g is released, and then I'll make updates over time when I'm able to work on it. Recreational time is becoming very short for me.

User avatar Core
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011, 23:42

The second video looks pretty cool :tup:. Reminds me a bit to Mr.Loathsome's MoreBlood mutator.

The foggy blood effect/mist looks a bit exagerated indeed, taking away some of the realism. Perhaps have it visible for a very small amount of time with a fade-away effect instead of removing it completely, just an idea.

Next