Scout-kun is a lie... right?

09/02/2016 - "ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2" by Myscha the sled dog

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 09/02/2016 - "ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 20:41

Map Title: ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2
Author: Myscha the sled dog
Filename: isvkran32.unr
Music Files: Kran32.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aADSbzAdWJ8

Sypnosis: Prisoner 849 proceeds throughout the ISV-Kran, making it to the shuttle bay and engine sections.

Discuss!

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 09/02/2016 - "ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2" by Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016, 23:50

Unless I'm very much mistaken, ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2 is the first map of the campaign to mention the Mothership.

More comments later, folks!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ArchGrey
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016, 09:04

Oh, another creepy crash-ship mastetpiece. The atmoshere is great , but as for me I was quite annoyed by the long puzzling exploration process, I don't know why I had a feeling that I'm just walking around back and forward... But anyway the map is well detailed, designed cool and brings the very authentic spirit of the Sci-Fi classics.
[000] [the constant system failure]

Another Reality DevTeam Member

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016, 02:27

While I love these maps, after replaying it recently I think I do have some nitpicks problems to bring up.

My main problem with ISV Kran is that I feel it could of been so much more. Its kinda hard to explain, but I just feel that maps like na pali haven and spire have more going for them.

It sucks because I absolutely love Unreal (and by extention UT's) sci-fi asthetic. I mean these are still solid maps, but I think I've been spoiled by techno-dungeons from mods and UT.

Still though, these are pretty awesome maps, even though I hated them when I was little. :B

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016, 02:57

Nightmare Kitteh wrote:My main problem with ISV Kran is that I feel it could of been so much more. Its kinda hard to explain, but I just feel that maps like na pali haven and spire have more going for them.

This probably sums up why the Kran is one of my least favourite parts; it's mostly domestically scaled spaceship areas without the kind of landmarks the rest of the game has. Even as a human ship they could have gone for something like a more stylised Alien inspired setting or something, which is what some later mods have gone for (though I guess engine/system limitations at the time played a part in how it is now). This map is more interesting than the last overall, but it's one of the more mazelike levels in the game, and a lot of it is working your way through the corridors that make up the main segment. The side areas at least tend to be pretty interesting here, like the large cargo bay or the room with the big generator in the middle.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016, 09:08

ISV Deck 1 is pretty much the sole ISV Kran map with some interesting ideas in it. Helps the fact it was done much later than the rest of the ship.
This map had a lot of strange changes, including some lamps that were removed but with their light sources remaining intact. And also the mysterious basement corridor that got cut out really early in development.
ImageImage

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016, 20:24

Also wasnt ISV Kran intended to have more horror elements earlier in development and have darker lighting?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016, 23:50

Nightmare Kitteh wrote:Also wasnt ISV Kran intended to have more horror elements earlier in development and have darker lighting?

I think it was supposed to be more abandoned as they wanted to fill the ship of scavengers or animals for the first deck, then in the second deck you would be suddenly ambushed by a stronger force. Before Skaarj were added to the Kran they did put Mercenaries (probably on the hunt for P849).

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016, 17:35

Sat42 wrote:Unless I'm very much mistaken, ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2 is the first map of the campaign to mention the Mothership.

No, it is mentioned as early as NyLeve's Falls.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016, 01:04

Rarsonic wrote:
Sat42 wrote:Unless I'm very much mistaken, ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2 is the first map of the campaign to mention the Mothership.

No, it is mentioned as early as NyLeve's Falls.

OK I checked - well yeah, it's hinted at as early as NyLeve's Falls, but ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2 is still the first map of the campaign where the term "Mothership" appears :) (and in fact it provides crucial info on said ship as well)
I might have forgotten the small subtlety here because I found the mentioning of ISV-Kran more striking in NyLeve's Falls than the fact that "they have seen a Skaarj vessel in operation" - which could mean any type of vessel. But it's nice to see that the game does actually give direction to the player's journey as early as that - even though light foreshadowing on this scale is really lost on the player the first time round.

EDIT:
ISV-Kran Decks 3 and 2 is quite hard in my memory. Daunting, I'd say. I think it builds up effectively to the last level in the ISV-Kran segment, and the lore in here harbours some bits of unique info not found anywhere else (see above). It's great for its age.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.