Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, UBerserker, Jigoku, Doublez-Down

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member
Posts: 2046
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 02:43
Location: UK
Contact:

Subject: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015, 20:46

Map Title: Sacred Passage
Author: Juan Pancho Eekels
From: Unreal
Filename: passage.unr
Music Files: dusk.umx




Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5EuSSc9FiI

Synopsis: After leaving the mines you find a much more ancient looking structure.

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member
Posts: 429
Joined: 05 Apr 2008, 19:08
Contact:

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015, 03:25

Neat enough, and I recall liking the water feature, but at the same time noticing the limitations on moving zones. I recall also feeling let down that the player had to creep under the wall to get inside. It was pretty much just a transition from the mine to Chizra. Not much more to say about it from that perspective.

Looking back, why was this passage even there? Nothing connects to it beside from the mines. Were the mines a pre-existing formation? What is so sacred about a dead-end valley that it needs a (one way) passage into Chizra?

Maybe it is just a transition from the Dig/Dug into Chizra.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7901
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015, 12:42

ebd wrote:Looking back, why was this passage even there? Nothing connects to it beside from the mines. Were the mines a pre-existing formation? What is so sacred about a dead-end valley that it needs a (one way) passage into Chizra?


The whole map was part of Nyleve originally, it was accessed from that optional bunker at the end of it.
ImageImage

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 50
Joined: 10 Dec 2011, 10:43
Location: Russia

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015, 08:29

UBerserker wrote:
ebd wrote:Looking back, why was this passage even there? Nothing connects to it beside from the mines. Were the mines a pre-existing formation? What is so sacred about a dead-end valley that it needs a (one way) passage into Chizra?


The whole map was part of Nyleve originally, it was accessed from that optional bunker at the end of it.


Also in NyLeve map was a message:"My burden does not end. More minions have been cast down by the angry Gods. I will pray for their souls but I fear my prayers are not heard. I must travel to the Temple of Chizra to seek balance."

Well, this map is very short... However, maps with temples and nearby lands are my favourite.

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin
Posts: 101
Joined: 23 Jan 2014, 04:45
Contact:

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015, 15:55

I have fond memories from when I was little and not knowing how to get into the temple. Good times! :)
"Anything's a quote if you try hard enough. Wait, shit!"

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 817
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015, 18:43

Annetteblue wrote:Well, this map is very short... However, maps with temples and nearby lands are my favourite.


Sounds like Doublez-Down :)
Hope you've checked out some of the more famous community works: with respect to temples and natural terrain, the community has actually gone beyond what the mothergame does.

Nightmare Kitteh wrote:I have fond memories from when I was little and not knowing how to get into the temple. Good times! :)


I think a number of people can plead guilty to that :)

A transition map indeed. And not devoid of any challenge the first time round. Filling the pool was cool, actually I still find it acceptable today (from a visual perspective). Even with this engine, there are still ways to improve the execution of that kind of thing. Good enough for me.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 50
Joined: 10 Dec 2011, 10:43
Location: Russia

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015, 07:24

Sat42 wrote:
Annetteblue wrote:Well, this map is very short... However, maps with temples and nearby lands are my favourite.


Sounds like Doublez-Down :)
Hope you've checked out some of the more famous community works: with respect to temples and natural terrain, the community has actually gone beyond what the mothergame does.



Yes, I plaied a lot of projects presented here. Not all yet. Of course I'm waiting for new. :) Some of them truly convey the atmosphere of Unreal and URTNP. I mean not only temples. I mean all the locations.

It was a super news for me, when I found this site a few years ago. :) Unfortunately, in several addons original feeling was spoiled because of using UT ammunitiom and sounds (steps, for example). Is there any possibility to play Lagensy or Seven Bullets with original weapons?

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 817
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015, 12:09

Annetteblue wrote:
Sat42 wrote:
Annetteblue wrote:Well, this map is very short... However, maps with temples and nearby lands are my favourite.


Sounds like Doublez-Down :)
Hope you've checked out some of the more famous community works: with respect to temples and natural terrain, the community has actually gone beyond what the mothergame does.



Yes, I plaied a lot of projects presented here. Not all yet. Of course I'm waiting for new. :) Some of them truly convey the atmosphere of Unreal and URTNP. I mean not only temples. I mean all the locations.

It was a super news for me, when I found this site a few years ago. :) Unfortunately, in several addons original feeling was spoiled because of using UT ammunitiom and sounds (steps, for example). Is there any possibility to play Lagensy or Seven Bullets with original weapons?


Good to hear you've been delving into the various works offered by the community here :) It was similarly awesome for me to discover this site a few years ago!
Regarding Legacy or Seven Bullets: they indeed offer something new, and sometimes designers choose not to follow the original feeling of Unreal, and that's purely an artistic choice - as it happens, you may prefer looking for stuff that emulates the mothergame, which I can understand, but we must also respect a designer's choice to offer a mod that does things differently. I love the original "feel" but I also love to experience new stuff! Legacy and Seven Bullets were meant to be played with modified/new weapons (and sounds) :) so you won't be able to play them with the original weapons, at least not without significantly altering the released products in the editor - which is something nobody does! :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 50
Joined: 10 Dec 2011, 10:43
Location: Russia

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015, 16:18

Sat42 wrote:
Annetteblue wrote:
Sat42 wrote:
Sounds like Doublez-Down :)
Hope you've checked out some of the more famous community works: with respect to temples and natural terrain, the community has actually gone beyond what the mothergame does.



Yes, I plaied a lot of projects presented here. Not all yet. Of course I'm waiting for new. :) Some of them truly convey the atmosphere of Unreal and URTNP. I mean not only temples. I mean all the locations.

It was a super news for me, when I found this site a few years ago. :) Unfortunately, in several addons original feeling was spoiled because of using UT ammunitiom and sounds (steps, for example). Is there any possibility to play Lagensy or Seven Bullets with original weapons?


Good to hear you've been delving into the various works offered by the community here :) It was similarly awesome for me to discover this site a few years ago!
Regarding Legacy or Seven Bullets: they indeed offer something new, and sometimes designers choose not to follow the original feeling of Unreal, and that's purely an artistic choice - as it happens, you may prefer looking for stuff that emulates the mothergame, which I can understand, but we must also respect a designer's choice to offer a mod that does things differently. I love the original "feel" but I also love to experience new stuff! Legacy and Seven Bullets were meant to be played with modified/new weapons (and sounds) :) so you won't be able to play them with the original weapons, at least not without significantly altering the released products in the editor - which is something nobody does! :P


Oh, I made a mistake in Legacy (Lagensy), sorry. :)

I don't know how to create the maps and I don't have enough fantasy for it. Of course I respect all the mappers for all they give to us. They are good guys. :) Also I'm glad to hear, you understend my preferences. Unreal is the only shooter I adore to play. And I've been doing it from time to time for the last 15 years, sinсe I was a little girl. I'm true connoisseur (sorry for my english) of Unreal in all traditions. :)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member
Posts: 2046
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 02:43
Location: UK
Contact:

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015, 19:06

A very short and simple level but the trip through the pool and later loop back to the start gives a feeling of progress and exploration (as well as being the first time you're forced to swim from what I recall, so it kind of works as a tutorial for that too if you didn't do so earlier). I like the open air design too which gives it a unique design and makes it one of the more memorable sights in the early game for me.
Formerly Mman

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 314
Joined: 05 Apr 2008, 15:38
Contact:

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015, 21:24

The entrance to one of or maybe even the favorite Unreal level of mine. I like that the map relies on a sharp eye (for both the underwater tunnel and the secret) rather than combat or luck (such as the bridge secret in the previous level). The water effect is well done for its time and I was surprised something like this was even possible back then. The overall map left me super excited on what comes next.
The Unforchers will come again soon...

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject: Re: 11/23/2015 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015, 00:31

still one of my favs!
there's more


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests