Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

02/11/2015 - "NyLeve's Falls" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 02/11/2015 - "NyLeve's Falls" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015, 18:02

Map Title: NyLeve's Falls
Author: Juan Pancho Eekels
Filename: nyleve.unr
Music Files: dusk.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PA3L43hPVo

Synopsis: Reality is broken. Welcome to the world of Na Pali.

Discuss!

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 02/11/2015 - "NyLeve's Falls" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015, 19:44

Can't believe it's already been a year since we last talked about this map, feels like yesterday!
I am pretty happy with the way I paid homage to this map last time, so here goes:-

Sat42 wrote:
Ah, NyLeve's Falls, the first level to really bring the world of FPS to the outdoors... (unless you count some space sims, but it's not exactly the same feeling!)
Actually, my statement is really only heartfelt if you don't take into account a unique FPS that doesn't even belong to the PC world: GoldenEye 007. In this player's opinion, the latter was the first FPS to bring some expansive outdoor environments into the mix. Of course, I could have missed something. In any case, with Unreal this was really pushed to a whole new level: graphically, it washed away everything we'd seen before. I think enough people have already conveyed the feeling of awe and wonder they experienced when stepping out of the Vortex Rikers the first time round... checking out the animated skybox, and moving up to that point of view and admiring those falls with the sweet ondulating effect on the surface of the lake and everything. Epic really knew what they were doing, putting a claustrophobic and terrifying level in first place, only to be followed by this one. The music is perfectly suited, in fact I remember Alex 'Siren' Brandon saying that he sincerely thought this track (Dusk) coupled with NyLeve's Falls is the best musical fit to a game level ever! What a fantastic start to an epic adventure! Vortex Rikers was scary but so was this one: remember that first scripted encounter with the Brutes? Holy shit! And the tentacles, too... and the manta! Right, and everyone gibbed themselves at least once, if only just to see what happens when you jump off the cliff! Having various peaceful creatures around you (such as Nali bunnies! and birds) also helped to flesh out the outdoors as a believable ecosystem. Realising that the whole portion down by the river is optional also gave me a new vibe, as apart from secret areas, extra gaming space was seldom done in FPS games of that era.
Today it is still a great level. But its historical significance makes it rather more than that.

Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015, 21:09

This wasn't that long ago so my old comments:

Semfry wrote:Iconic first intro to the world; it quickly establishes things like the Nali (although it getting killed by Tentacles on Unreal is a little odd), the first proper combat, and also shows how exploration is rewarding by making a large part of the level optional. It's obviously limited by being a very early map, but it fulfils it's role perfectly.

To mix it up I'd like to link to some outside perspectives on certain Unreal levels, unfortunately the video I linked last week is the only thing along those lines I can think of that isn't a full game perspective (outside that book that's still in the last news post, but I don't have it and wouldn't be able to post it anyway). Maybe I'll think of something while this level by level MOTW is going on...
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015, 21:15

I wish they left all those palms on the rocks and the third waterfall sheet. Doubt they would have impacted performance that bad back in the day.
ImageImage

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015, 23:40

Very realistic for a 1999 game, Unreal has done a great work with the design!
I grant you the ultimate power!

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015, 00:10

FXANBSS wrote:Very realistic for a 1999 game, Unreal has done a great work with the design!

1998 :wink:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015, 00:39

Sat42 wrote:
FXANBSS wrote:Very realistic for a 1999 game, Unreal has done a great work with the design!

1998 :wink:

Oh, sorry, sometimes i just make quick posts.
I grant you the ultimate power!

User avatar Twisted
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015, 03:52

I wonder what the Terran Pirates did to this place?

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015, 19:18

Iconic moment which still had its effect in 2005 when I saw my brother play the first few levels. In the Beta I really liked that the entrance of Chizra and the mines were in the same map, giving the place a much more diverse look in terms of clashing cultures and their architecture from the beginning (aside from the Nali hut). However, in the retail version the moment of surprise when you exit the mines is probably stronger.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Annetteblue

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 04:28

UBerserker wrote:I wish they left all those palms on the rocks and the third waterfall sheet. Doubt they would have impacted performance that bad back in the day.

Hear about it for the first time... Where they all located? Have you any pictures of them?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 06:28

Annetteblue wrote:
UBerserker wrote:I wish they left all those palms on the rocks and the third waterfall sheet. Doubt they would have impacted performance that bad back in the day.

Hear about it for the first time... Where they all located? Have you any pictures of them?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3559&p=68014#p68014
Bottom of the post, that was when the Vortex was still facing the pool.
ImageImage

Annetteblue

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015, 01:30

UBerserker wrote:
Annetteblue wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3559&p=68014#p68014
Bottom of the post, that was when the Vortex was still facing the pool.

Thnx!

Yes, palms and the third waterfall look very suitable and beautiful.