A random sentence for a random mind.

24/03/2015 - "Gramercy" by Chris Burgess

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 24/03/2015 - "Gramercy" by Chris Burgess

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 01:10

Map Title: Gramercy
Author: Chris Burgess
Filename: gramercy.unr
Music Files: Bluff.umx, Nali.umx, Newmca13.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUPbyrFrDXo

Synopsis: A group of humans fell down into a hole when travelling on a mountain chain. A castle lies ahead.

Discuss!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 24/03/2015 - "Gramercy" by Chris Burgess

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 03:03

I guess my review mostly still covers my feelings; the main fort has kind of a cool structure and it makes more interesting use of difficulty settings than most old mods do, but the gameplay remains pretty insubstantial and most of the areas (especially the fort itself) aren't really used for anything. Even as it is it could be much better with a couple more objectives in the main fort and better enemy use.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 12:25

This map feels very Quake-ish, I believe, especially the first half or so of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 22:41

Yeah, I'll quote my post from: 29 Sep 2009, 14:52

salsaSkaarjr wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Did this absurdly overscaled map has an unreachable secret area with a Super Health, below the long stone bridge?
I don't remember other details aside the beginning inside a cave, a StoneTitan and a Giant Gasbag throughout the castle. The map itself was very boring anyway.

Nope, that area is perfectly reachable 8) but you might want to save before you try.

Overscaled is damn right. A map a quarter of this size would have been more fitting. As it is you encounter one enemy per 10 square kilometers and not one of those poses a threat because you can retreat all the way back to the beginning, and there's lots of cover and lots of obstacles to put between you and the enemy.
Giant Gasbag? never seen it.
The titan was more or less OK because he seems to be faster than other titans (perhaps he was slightly tweaked) but the environment doesn't give him a decent chance.
The ending is a serious let down, I was expecting a real challenge but ended up thinking: why the hell have I carried these heavy weapons with me all this time.

I am usually not so harsh in my comments but this map is totally wasted because of gameplay - or better the lack of. There are a couple of sections which could have provided very nice battles and although the map is oldish I think the visual aspect is OK, might have had some more detail here and there and less mile wide pathways but there are nice ideas. In the author's favour I can consider it an unfinished map.

BTW I can remember so much about it because I just finished replaying it (finally got down to reinstalling everything). Anyway, this map goes into the archive, section: Don't replay!

Although, it's been like almost 6 years now and will replay it one of these days (U227 on highest difficulty might provide a challenge: if not > section: Don't replay!)

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015, 19:16

salsaSkaarj wrote:Although, it's been like almost 6 years now and will replay it one of these days (U227 on highest difficulty might provide a challenge: if not > section: Don't replay!)

Replayed today (227 ? difficulty=5) and now it has some gameplay value, in fact if you don't know exactly where to get a powerful weapon the resistance (more than in the video) is bound to find you and make you run for your life (but in a good way, you'll come across a useful weapon). Still, a lot more could have been accomplished with this map and there isn't any replay value. (ah BTW, I came across the giant gasbag this time, it's probably difficulty filtered).