ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Server Errors.

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Maxer 64
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Server Errors.

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011, 00:55

Ahhhhhhhhhg, I got this message trying to upload my new avatar:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I hate it when this happens (dispite the fact that this is the first time I got this error.)
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011, 23:38

More webhost statements regarding the issues:

Hello,

I am quite sorry to hear about your issues. As the issue you are referring to requires investigation into server resource usage and to identify customers that may be abusing server resources, I'm moving this ticket to our Server Stability queue where an administrator can properly identify and resolve issues quickly.

Please note that even though you may not receive a response for some time, we are looking into the issue. The purpose of the queue is to gather all complaints in regards to server stability in one place to better identify issues that may be happening across an entire server.

In such cases, it is possible that the server is unstable in short bursts for some time. However, you can be sure that we are working on the issue and will get this resolved for you as soon as possible.

If you do have further concerns specifically in regards to service stability, please update this ticket as it will be in the proper queue for us to address your concerns.

Thank you for your patience.

Hello,

We apologize for the inconveniences caused, and understand your concerns. We did experienced some high load spikes on the server for short while which has been taken care of by disabling the high resource abuser accounts, we are still monitoring the server very closely to ensure service stability.

Please feel free to ask if problem re-occurs for you.

We are keeping the ticket as "open" and will keep you posted with further updates, Thanks for your cooperation and patience in this regard.

So, keep your eyes open if the problems start appearing again! Best if you provide a screencap or something.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012, 21:14

If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012, 21:41

yeah it's kinda annoying
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar StalwartUK

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012, 22:09

Had a few errors just now.

And a few more while trying to post this.
StalwartUK

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012, 14:23

I'm about to give up hoping customer support will ever improve it, because let's face it - I've requested help about half a dozen times now, and every time I got puzzled responses saying that EVERYTHING IS OKAY and I should upgrade to a better plan if I want to have less trouble and dedicated tech. The thing is that, being fueled by donations, USP should preferably be as cheap as possible considering it's tiny user base, and seeing as we get this webspace for a dirt-cheap $2 a month (shot down from $4 by my l33t coupon-hunting skills), we may not be in any position to complain about bad performance. You get what you pay for. :oops:

So, in the end, we may just have to deal with it...! But opinions may vary?

diamond

Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012, 10:28

Encourage subscribing to feeds instead of probing forums for news. That should decrease load on server, a bit.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012, 15:27

I think it's the other websites hosted on the server that cause problems, not USP. USP is a real lightweight, actually!
But it seems that only 30 users can connect to our MySQL database at the same time. I doubt we ever get that many users, but maybe search engine crawlers also play a part?

EDIT:

There's about 12 Baidu crawlers on the site at the same time. I tried adding Baidu to robots.txt to stop them from crawling the forums. Here's hoping it works!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012, 21:17

While not fully related to the site itself, I thought I'd mention that the download link for The Triamid Ruins seems to be down, there's a replacement here: http://bobsunrealcoop.wordpress.com/201 ... g-contest/ but there should be a link easily accessible from UnrealSP.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012, 23:55

The main site seems to be completely down now.
Formerly Mman

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012, 00:34

Derp, oversight on my part. Fixed!

I'm concerned about the Baiduspider bots. They are still roaming the forums even though I have updated the robots.txt to exclude them... :/ Having 15+ spiders from the same site on the forums at the same time may very well lead past MySQL database access limit of 30 concurrent users. Another issue is that, with the news system pulling it's content from the MySQL database as well, every simultaneous front page access also counts towards that limit... We may have to implement some sort of caching system for front page content.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012, 00:40

Just IP ban China. Hate to say it but you probably won't lose any legit traffic.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012, 00:57

That and the caching system would go down well
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012, 13:07

So, did anybody experience any issues since my last post in this thread? I banned the Baiduspider from crawling the site, which seems to have reduced site activity something fierce. I haven't personally encountered any problems since. Anyone else?

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012, 13:10

The site was down once during the last hour or two. That's all I can recall though (and it's obviously fixed now).

Edit: LOL, and it goes down for ages right as I post that.
Formerly Mman

Previous Next