Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Site funding

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Site funding

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010, 15:30

Shivaxi wrote:UnrealSP is logged going all the way back to June 9th, 2001 when Hellscrag had simply written:

-------------------------

I don't think the reviews are going anywhere ;)

That's all well and good, but I'd much rather read and participate at an active website, not some shitty internet archive full of broken images!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010, 17:00

Just set up a paypal account for this, put a button on the site and then we can start donating. I mean, Proph wants to do it, but would like others to participate. Just leave the account in his hands then and put a donation button on this site, so ppl can start donating to it. Git 'r dun!
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010, 17:03

In the way of hosting, might I suggest
http://www.000webhost.com/
I was refferred to it by a friend a while back when wanting to run an Eclipse Evolution server, turned out to not be what I was looking for (they don't run game scripts, just web pages), but might be worth a look?
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Raven

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010, 19:10

I had a website there (mantis bug tracker) and it had problems all the time with db, also when system detects large mass mail they'll automatically delete whole site without warning. I strongly recommend something else.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010, 19:12

Any site that offers "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth for their paid packages (or especially free ones) is probably a horrible piece of shit. You don't just get unlimited space and transfer without paying through the nose!

So yeah zacman that host looks pretty awful :T

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 11:00

Waffnuffly wrote:Any site that offers "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth for their paid packages (or especially free ones) is probably a horrible piece of shit. You don't just get unlimited space and transfer without paying through the nose!

So yeah zacman that host looks pretty awful :T

Concerning the free hosts you are probably correct (although I only had troubles with 1 host - 3 other free hosts provided more than acceptable service). The main downside of free hosts is the "complementary" advertisments (banners, logos etc..), relatively slow servers and the (more than) occasional downtime, not forgetting the risk that the lifespan of these free hosts is hardly guaranteed.

From what I gathered Hellscrag has already renewed the domainname so that's out of the way. If that's not the case then action has to be taken so that the domainname isn't lost. (info: Godaddy regularly offers a 3-year registration of a domainname for around 45$ (that is a.com site, not sure about .org).

As for paid hosts: 5 to 6€ per month should easily cover what unrealsp.org needs (that is shared hosting - if you want a dedicated host then take multiplication by factor 10 into account, if not more). I wouldn't restrict the search to hosts offering unlimited storage capacity and unlimited bandwidth - I am willing to bet Unrealsp.org doesn't require more than 100 GB/month nor more than 20 GB storage, and that is generally within the low-cost offers.

PS I just had a look at www . bluehost . com (remove the spaces - I didn't want to risk acting like a spammer) and it looks OK (although slightly more expensive).
For an overview of some of the more popular or well-known hosting sites, have a look at www . hosting-review . com

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 15:11

salsaSkaarj wrote:PS I just had a look at www . bluehost . com (remove the spaces - I didn't want to risk acting like a spammer) and it looks OK (although slightly more expensive).
For an overview of some of the more popular or well-known hosting sites, have a look at www . hosting-review . com

I've heard very good things about bluehost; if it's not too expensive, it would be worth looking into.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 16:34

bluehost is ok, although it can be a tad slow. Just depends what you want to do with it.
I've heard about hostgator, which is fairly cheap, but don't know from experience.
As for godaddy's domain registration, PLEASE check for coupon codes..(for all the webhosting too of course), because they often have a 30% off code, which is always nice.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 12:34

I've been using Arvixe for years and will vouch that they are rock solid. They even sent a coupon code to use over Black Friday for 50% a new account (for the lifetime of that account) that I totally forgot to use.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 16:17

zYnthetic wrote:I've been using Arvixe for years and will vouch that they are rock solid. They even sent a coupon code to use over Black Friday for 50% a new account (for the lifetime of that account) that I totally forgot to use.

Since you already once linked Arvixe, I checked them out (on Black Friday, no less!), but I found that you need to pay for full 2-year cycles in advance for the most solid deals, which I can't afford right off the bat. But I suppose if we get a PayPal thing going and ask for donations for the initial required sum to register the account, it might be a good choice after all.

Plus, the website didn't really make it clear whether 4$/month was the Black Friday deal price or the non-reduced one, which also made me hesitate. Shame I missed it. :( $48 every two years sounds absolutely scrumptious. Are the coupons still usable after the date?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 03:08

Hellscrag wrote:I just mean I'm basically done with Unreal and gaming in general. My life is moving in a different direction, and there's no reason for me to keep hanging about like a relic of yesteryear; I have little of value left to contribute. I've certainly not been "shunned" and I'm not being dramatic - just pragmatic.

Maybe when and if my RL plans have fully taken shape, I'll pop back to tell you what it was really all about.

Well stated...for better or worse I can totally concur...cheers.
Old as Dirt

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 12:31

Since we're talking about the life of the website, it would be somewhat cool if someone makes interviews to USP users about their opinions of Unreal and of something else like games in general. Had this idea because the same thing is happening in a community of another series of games that's not doing hot right now.
Those reads can be usually interesting and fun.
ImageImage

Previous