Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Revelations Part 1

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

RediscoveryX
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Revelations Part 1

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009, 21:20

Hi, i dont post a lot here or any Unreal forums but im always checking up this site for any news on UnrealSP and help, ive been playing Unreal and UT SP maps since 7 years ago. Anyways, i just released my first finished UT SP map wich i would like to share with this great community. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Revelations Part 1

--- Storyline ---

You are part of an Elite Unit that was Formed after the Skaarj/Human War, this unit is tasked to
investigate Alien activity on Earth. Your mission is to rescue a captured Nali in a Facility owned by
Nospmis Corp, a military scientific corporation that got a bad reputation for experimenting
on all kind of living beings, incluiding dangerous alien species such as Gasbag or Manta, if something
happens to that Nali it will be always a mystery how and why is it on Earth...

--- Download ---

Umod version http://www.filefront.com/14785469/Revelations-Pt.1.rar

Non-Umod version http://www.filefront.com/14785495/Revel ... onUMOD.rar

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009, 22:26

Interesting Setting (but why youtube? :P ) and a refreshing change from the usual Unreal challenges.

Spoiler blacked out text: Titan was less challenging than the final boss though, getting the damn Nali to follow you :x

Very fun.

P.S: and make Revelations Part 2!

RediscoveryX
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 02:35

Im glad you liked and go through all the challenges in a short time. Thank you for your comments, I was worried about players not ever knowing what to do on some parts, now i know that even with the different challenges this map can be completed, i find very funny what you wrote in black because is true! In the map testing i found that many things can go wrong in that part, even if i try to fix some of them..

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 14:56

Nice one. Hope to see part two :).

But speaking of usage of RMusicPlayer - please ALWAYS post link to .zip ( http://turniej.unreal.pl/files/RMusicPlayer_newbeta.zip ) and wiki ( http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE1:RMusicPlayer ). The reason for that is to avoid version conflicts and force users to download latest version :). I must have forgotten to add correct readme to the archive - sorry for that :). The reason is that I'm planning to release new version in near future (and maybe even Linux port).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009, 07:31

just got around to playing this and I must say I'm surprisingly impressed. You have successfully created the best Unreal singleplayer rescue mission to date! :tup: :tup:

I don't want to ruin anything for anyone so I think I'll say no more!

I will say this in black though:
***SHOULD ONLY BE READ BY THE AUTHOR OR THOSE WHO HAVE FINISHED THE MAP***.... SERIOUSLY. IT WILL RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE PROBABLY
I hope to see more action in the next chapter of the series.. the titan fight was uber awesome and definitely my new favorite (it looks like someone should be working for team Red Nemesis...hehe) You should do more sequences like these with the skaarj next time!

RediscoveryX
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009, 12:47

jackrabbit wrote:just got around to playing this and I must say I'm surprisingly impressed. You have successfully created the best Unreal singleplayer rescue mission to date! :tup: :tup:

I don't want to ruin anything for anyone so I think I'll say no more!

I will say this in black though:
***SHOULD ONLY BE READ BY THE AUTHOR OR THOSE WHO HAVE FINISHED THE MAP***.... SERIOUSLY. IT WILL RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE PROBABLY

Thanks! I really like doing those sequences on Unrealed because they come exactly as i have them on my mind, btw i have some never released/finished maps with that kind of sequences i can send if your interested.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009, 17:16

RediscoveryX wrote:...I really like doing those sequences on Unrealed because they come exactly as i have them on my mind, btw i have some never released/finished maps with that kind of sequences i can send if your interested.

he's most likely not the only one who would be interested.. :P

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009, 18:20

Darkon wrote:
RediscoveryX wrote:...I really like doing those sequences on Unrealed because they come exactly as i have them on my mind, btw i have some never released/finished maps with that kind of sequences i can send if your interested.

Agreed! :P :D

RediscoveryX
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009, 21:42

Darkon wrote:

Legendslayer222 wrote:Agreed! :P :D

I will send you a PM with the download link, i dont want to do a public release yet, as im planing to remade one of those maps in the future.

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009, 02:09

Yes plz!
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

Subject: Re: Revelations Part 1

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012, 13:01

Replayed this. Still super cool for its puzzles and creativity. I've just realized I messed up greatly when I first played this and actually tried fighting the flak cannon weilding marine with my DP. There is a much easier way! :B

I hope RediscoveryX pops up one day with Part 2 or some other good map.

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012, 07:24

I really enjoyed this! Don't know how you got the Nali to follow you so well, even in the vents, but good job on that and the map overall. You've got a good ear for music, as well - the Titan death scene shook me a bit, haha, and I liked the ending sequence. I came out of the map with a warm and fuzzy feeling from having rescued that nali guy.

The best thing about this map was definitely the style of how one makes their way through. I was a bit confused when I started with 12 HP, but quickly learned that this was going to be about stealth and timing - not gunplay. THAT was refreshing.

That being said... I hope we get to do some Marine ass-kicking in the next chapters. :twisted: Of course, I'm also interested to see how the use of tactics/stealth develops.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012, 21:43

I've wanted to review this for two years now. Never got around to it. It's a brilliant little map with a modern take on the "rescue a nalipriest" style and it works suprisingly well.
Last edited by TheIronKnuckle on 13 Jan 2012, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012, 22:15

This map has some great stuff in it. I didn't expect a search-and-rescue map to be so fresh. :o

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012, 10:55

RediscoveryX Posted: 24 Oct 2009, 20:20 Post subject: Revelations Part 1

And I only discovered this 3 days ago? Oh well, amends were made and I played this yesterday.
I have mixed feelings about this one, and not only because it's too short.

The first problem I had was getting into the restricted area. Naturally I died the first time walking in while the Marine was still there, next time I pressed a button and the Marine came after me, decided to use speed and go for the DP and after a couple of tries I finally managed to kill one Marine but of course the second one got me. Then decided to go for some health first but found out health is unreachable and anyway, a Marine quickly followed me and would have unhealthed me anyway.

And then it dawned upon me that perhaps that button I pressed could, perhaps, maybe, possibly do more than just call the Marine .. and yes, finally made some progress \o/.

This is onel complaint I have about the map - there's no real indication that there is a way to avoid the Marines - so it's a matter of luck or perseverance (even though basically it's dead simple). I have to admit though that there is a translator message which (in retrospect) does give a hint (so consider my complaint strictly personal, other players may find this section sufficently clear).

The rest of the map is actually quite clear but the Titan appearance (and the solution, which in this case was perfectly clear to me) was well staged and exciting (even though I made it through on the first pass).

Next complaint: the puzzle with the 4 cages isn't really a puzzle at all and didn't add anything to the map.
Slight lack of proficiency noticed in the Nali's ability to follow the player when needed.
And my final complaint is that the outside section and some rooms are a bit devoid of "decoration".

My rant sounds a lot more negative than what I really think about the map. I enjoyed the run (even with the initial frustrations) but feel the map is largely unfinished. It's certainly a good concept but it could have been expanded a bit more.

I am looking forward to part 2 (if it's still being developed) but I hope the author improves the looks of the areas and avoids non-puzzles like the 4 cages.

Next