ividyon will never get this done, will he.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 3

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 02:45

My life is complete. Thank UA for making this; it's hilarious.

This also comes as part of a request: help me find new sources of audio.

I've started making a really big effort to cull as many external assets from EXU as possible, replacing things like the Doom 3 textures with versions I've made myself (with UA's help, such as the above) and sound effects. This also goes for music... possibly.

Music is harder to do, obviously, because I'm no musician and I don't know any. Also, some music is so fully ingrained into the atmosphere of certain maps that I couldn't stand to swap it. Fortunately, most of the indispensable music already in use is from really old games that shouldn't be a problem, but I still would like to get some new music that isn't in violation of someone's copyright whenever possible.

So, if you know of any musicians (or are one) that can match the sort of style EXU already has going on (i.e. military/orchestral/"churchy-but-evil-kinda" like UT3's music and SOTN/Bayonetta's music... no D&B, techno, etc), please direct them to me if they are looking for something to work on for their portfolio! Of course I can't pay anyone because I am penniless, and I am also totally crazy, so if you mention this to anyone, be sure to also warn them of that. :I

The only ripped textures in EXU are from Doom 3 (and like 4 or 5 System Shock 2 skins which are used as a joke; those shouldn't be a problem). I'm currently remaking all the Doom 3 textures with great success. Everything else is modified stock content.

Sounds, though, are numerous, and a lot come from fairly recent games like Dead Space. As much as I'd like to keep these sounds and promote the hell out of the games I borrow from, I'm starting to think it's not the best idea ethically AND I'm more likely to get into legal trouble for using sounds from more recent games (despite my best intentions at promotion). So, as a result, I'm remixing a lot of stock content and some stuff from UT3 (since it's such a close relative of UT's) to make replacements for things like the Contact Beam and Hyper Flakker primary. So far I've already made pretty good progress. I'm also using more sound from Descent II, which is one of my favorite games of all time and has great material, so don't worry about quality degrading or anything.

But, that said, if anyone is aware of any good free sound libraries (and even not-so-good ones can be used as a base for mixing with good sounds), please point me toward them.

I want to polish off EXU as professionally as I can over the next few months. One of the biggest flaws EXU has right now is its heavy reliance on other peoples' content. I am working hard to reduce this dependence as much as I can without sacrificing quality. I'm sure that I can get rid of most of the sounds without majorly impacting the game experience, but I'd definitely like to know of other options if anyone is aware of them!

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 04:27

I do have a sound I made with my voice that, after some pitch modification, dual sound mixing, and other sound effects, sounds like an applicable sound effect, very similar to some of the Archdemon sounds, but it might need some amplification (it might be a baby Archdemon sneeze), but it's only one and I don't know if I would be able to really make too many more (the one sound was a lucky success). I do have some of my own radio transmitter files, and I could make more, but that's only for if you really need them. Oh yeah, and I do have a normal, rifle-like firing sound, if you really think you could use it.

Here's one file in an Editor importable .wav format:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzzyw4wwgzm
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 04:29

Specific sounds are all well and good but I'm mostly looking for free/really dirt cheap libraries that have a lot of stuff in them, stuff I could sort through and use for mixing.

Music is definitely the big thing though. Thanks for the offer :) You can always email me what you have and I can see if I can use it for anything in particular.

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 13:20

Is that Chef fucker?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 14:03

Konami game music tracks are a good start since, to be honest, their artists are really great (look at SOTN).
Contra Shattered Soldier has some rock/metal/dark-electronic/something-intestinal-related stuff (also urban/military oriented). Like this.
I don't have any other idea, right now.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 14:05

Yeah I'm probably gonna use a little bit of SOTN stuff since it's available to the public on youtube and it's awesome and perfectly suited to the atmosphere. Anything that's already on youtube and hasn't been taken down is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I just found this: http://www.freesound.org/index.php It's got an enormous amount of stuff, but tons of crap. It's kinda hard to sort through but hopefully I can find some gems. If not, any other sources would be worth looking for.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 14:10

What is that, a FFShrine of sounds instead of music? Wow, that's a find.
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 15:29

I can ask Mr. Tom if you want to. He composed the soundtrack for my Unforchers maps, as well as for Tre 2 (UT 3). I think he will like the idea of composing one or two (maybe a bit harder) pieces for your mod. :wink:
The best thing is that he can do every music genre you like, that's so incredible.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 15:31

Yeah, sure, see if he's interested! Bonus points if he's actually played it and kinda gets the feel of it and all

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 17:42

I've been doing music - mainly soundtrack-esque. I made some tracks that could fit in your project, and I'm willing to aid you if you're interested with new audio / sfx. I don't map anymore due to time restraints, but take it as my chance to still be active in here :D
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 17:45

Awesome, yes! I'd like to hear some stuff!

I've also recreated about a third of the Doom 3 glyphs so far (there's 30 of them) and they're starting to turn out pretty nice. Good times ahead :)

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 17:54

Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 18:09

I got about 2/3 of the way through the first one and I really like it. I would finish listening but there's guys here installing sprinkler systems in our office and one of them just turned on a huge fuckoff vacuum :I I'll give the other two a go soon. I definitely like the first one. Anything you're willing to donate to EXU's infernal cause, I shall welcome it!

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 18:12

:) Very good!

Feel free to ask for a particular kind of atmosphere or scene, or anything you need, any hint could be better rather than working from zero

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010, 18:21

Ah yeah, sure. For starters, Map 15 (Highlands of Despair) could use some new music. The current stuff I really like, but it's from Company of Heroes and should probably be swapped with original material. If you want to listen to it to get a feel for it, it's the CoH-Firing on Portgun mp3 included with Demo 3. If you don't have it downloaded let me know and I can send you all the music I've used so far by itself for reference.

Basically, the whole map is full of a sort of narrow hope that escape is near. There's a group of soldiers stranded on a mountainside and you're struggling to regroup with them, but there are Archdemons and powerful enemies absolutely everywhere and there seems to be little hope of escape. You spend more than an hour with limited health, very little ammo, and an even smaller possibility of relief in a huge, barren wasteland, and you can constantly hear the howling of tormented souls in the sky. It's a tough map and the music kinda gives you this foreboding/exhausted feeling.

After you get to your objective, you get "the Icon of Sin" and then when you head back outside, you see the Doomship, a demonic frigate, the first example of true demonic firepower, a vehicle that poses an immediate and enormous threat to your survival and chances of escape. It's a significant event. The music for that is the FS2 Briefing 5 or whatever music, used mostly because it was kind of a homage to the first Shivan sighing in Freespace 2, which is where the whole scene draws its inspiration from.

Helpful, I hope?
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 22 Mar 2010, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.

Previous Next