Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[C++] PhysX in Unreal / Unreal Tournament

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

.:..:
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: [C++] PhysX in Unreal / Unreal Tournament

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009, 15:54

I started with this project (later on to be implemented with Unreal 227 version) which uses NVidia PhysX in Unreal/UT.
I plan to add rigdi body (and ragdolls?) with hinges and joints support to make some actors with more advanced physics.
Currently all I have is a simple box rigdi body actor which only touches with a constant ground height plane (need to add support for it to collide with world BSP).
And before anyone asks, the reason why I chose PhysX over Havoc is because NVidia released headers and libaries for PhysX while Havoc is still all closed source unless you buy some license for them (and because PhysX is relatively easy to implement in Unreal Engine 1).

Heres a screen shot of a pile of boxes (forgive me of the lousy brightness) which definitly preforms a lot better than Karma physics in UT2004:
Last edited by .:..: on 20 Dec 2009, 13:03, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009, 16:07

Sounds very promising. :o

Ok I know PhysX only through this "bonuspack" for ut3 with HeatRay, Tornado and Lighthouse.

Dont think that might be possible to shoot bsp / mover barricades as like on HeatRay PhysX?

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009, 17:24

Creavion wrote:Dont think that might be possible to shoot bsp / mover barricades as like on HeatRay PhysX?

Would be if I created second one extending Mover actor, but until then first I have to get mesh actors working properly.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009, 17:55

would be really cool. :D

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 00:51

Now added so that the collide with BSP walls (yet poorly as world was full of invisible collision surfs, but still a beginning).
And this time I filled the enitre Entry map with wooden boxes, yet no slowdowns noticed (apart from rendering slowdowns).
Last edited by .:..: on 20 Dec 2009, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 05:59

wow.. thats awesome. Yes, I remember the UT2k4 version of these included in that one package U1Deco.u or somthing. This seems to proform alot better than that already (judging by the way the boxes are topped onto each other). What about player collision? I remember cratering inside one of those boxes in UT2k4.. does the same bug exist here?

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 10:56

What are the chances of adding these to more complicated models?

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 12:56

any chance of having this as a mutator in unreal/ut? i would love to play the original maps with actual physics applied to decorations :o

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 13:16

Turboman wrote:any chance of having this as a mutator in unreal/ut? i would love to play the original maps with actual physics applied to decorations :o

LOL lets kick those ugly unreal 1 palm trees away. :lol:

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 17:49

Added alpha version download now, see first post.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 21:40

doesn't work in unreal 227e (crash upon summon), i assume thats what you meant with implenting it later.
will test other versions now

edit: works in UT 436, does not work in unreal gold 226b

i'm curious how this will exactly work, are physx drivers limited to nvidia users? or will anyone be able to download them?
would be pretty fun to make a map with physx objects and play online, unless someone without an nvidia won't be able to run it...

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 22:51

Turboman wrote:doesn't work in unreal 227e (crash upon summon), i assume thats what you meant with implenting it later.
will test other versions now

edit: works in UT 436, does not work in unreal gold 226b

i'm curious how this will exactly work, are physx drivers limited to nvidia users? or will anyone be able to download them?
would be pretty fun to make a map with physx objects and play online, unless someone without an nvidia won't be able to run it...

Forgot to mention, that's UT version only (those screen shots were taken in UT as well).
As for the Nvidia stuff, I have nothing in my computer that's Nvidia (nor any physics accelerator card), so I presume it works for everyone (however Nvidia users may gain better performance).

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009, 22:58

AFAIK I did read a longer time ago something from a PhysX Patch for ATI user and I am sure I also saw a download.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009, 00:26

Works on ATI just fine.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009, 05:42

Until you start doing really busy things w/ physics (destructable environments, soft bodies, physics based particles, or hundreds of rigid bodies. eg- Cellfactor) it should work reasonably for anyone w/ a decent cpu.
Hardware support depends on how open nVidia made CUDA. If they actually allow you to take advantage of the hardware then there will be a performance increase for those that have it, but it will need to come in the form of a hw detect and enable flag. Like hw audio, it's not automatic, if it was it wouldn't work unless you had it (like several Cellfactor levels).

-btw, I think this is really cool. I tried to talk someone into integrating Open Dynamics Engine into UE1 but nothing even came out of it.

Next