ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[u2] Unreal-II SP mapping and AI

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject: [u2] Unreal-II SP mapping and AI

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 07:44

I must say Unreal 2 is mainly a Mr Prophets dream, for making a level that feels Alive and good looking.

Unreal2 ed may crash, but it feels to me the combination of clicking in a certain order matters more than anything else causing it to crash, nothing really wrong yet ! it runs very good.
(win7 64bit pro)

I did a basic script, two days after messing around, and have a pawn doing things.

From what I have read, here on the forum, in time, a large emphasis is placed on having a good story-script for single player levels.
You really don't need to code new classes as much (optional) because it's all ready set to go for "SP" mapping by default.Freeing you up to think of make something cool.
Last edited by redeye on 24 Dec 2011, 04:32, edited 6 times in total.
Just ban everyone

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Unreal-II and YOU !

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 11:11

redeye wrote:I must say Unreal 2 is mainly a Mr Prophets dream, for making "Unreal" or most of you here,or any game.

Unreal2 ed may crash, but it feels to me these combination of things in order matters more.

I did a basic script, two days after messing around, has a pawn doing things.

From what I have read here theme ooses single player.Between the ones who like to make a game from the way I have read things here for years.

??? did my brain suddenly shortcircuit? I thought my english was more than sufficient to follow normal conversation (hell, I even read books in english now and then), but I can't seem to get your point.
Better cut down on the CH3–CH2–OH use (and try not to combine it with psyllocibin) 8)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 13:24

Unreal 2 has the best Skaarj Warrior models. No contest.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 15:50

The problem with Unreal 2 editing is that it's literally broken; half the features essential to making a map in UEngine 2 simply don't work. I think people made some programs to get around that, but there are so many roadblocks and instabilities it would probably be easier to just mod UT2004 or UT3 to support SP (of course, that's already been mostly done, at least in UT2004's case).
Formerly Mman

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 16:19

salsaSkaarj wrote:
redeye wrote:I must say Unreal 2 is mainly a Mr Prophets dream, for making "Unreal" or most of you here,or any game.

Unreal2 ed may crash, but it feels to me these combination of things in order matters more.

I did a basic script, two days after messing around, has a pawn doing things.

From what I have read here theme ooses single player.Between the ones who like to make a game from the way I have read things here for years.

??? did my brain suddenly shortcircuit? I thought my english was more than sufficient to follow normal conversation (hell, I even read books in english now and then), but I can't seem to get your point.
Better cut down on the CH3–CH2–OH use (and try not to combine it with psyllocibin) 8)

:lol: :tup: EXACTLY my thoughts!
I guess I got the point now, with Mman explaining it.... but still..
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 18:48

Another problem with mapping for Unreal 2 is that you would be substantially limiting your audience. I'm making an assumption here, but who plays U2 any more, or even still has it installed?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 18:55

Who plays Unreal 1 anymore? :P
Modding U2 might lead to more interest from foreign parties, such as people who bought the Unreal Deal on Steam and are not familiar with Unreal custom maps. The relative novelty of modding UE2 for SP might help.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 19:15

Say what now?

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 19:43

Heh, I will redo that post, (lol Beers).

I see no problems with the editor, nothing is broke as I been working, I just went through making a terrain again, been so long.

What i mean is people around here heavily weigh in on a storyline, and U2 makes the pawns work for the level to feel "alive" and can direct the story better than ever before.

You can see the events "Event_U_taunt" by using that Golem studio.
You just start making a script, and can direct the pawns, it is quite freaky.
So between better mapping engine, and using staticmeshes in spots that complex brushes couldn't cut it, in older BSP, UT mapping.
The path nodes work better, you set things up with simple triggers to objectives.

Man if I was as good as you guys mapping and code, I think you all would have a blast making something.

Rather than placing paths just right, or using "max desirability" or hard code some actor hoping it works or endless hours of specific node placement..
In Unreal2, you make a story all based on your free willing desire or story telling in mind FIRST, rather than planning around the engine just trying to make it work.

I need to figure out how to get the pawns to use "actions".

Also the "patrol point" I think you just shove one or two out there I seen as directional so I changed that.No tags or anything and is not a path node this time.
I think they just make a radius area the pawns just do it, because you wouldn't use a patrol point anymore to make the pawns goto the next patrol. (make pawn walk to pathnode near patrol point, to patrol that area, then have them walk away to another)

I dunno but it feels like the best Unreal engine around.Rather than forcing UT99 to play SP, or constrained to BSP hole madness, and old stupid pawns, it is geared for SP.
Last edited by redeye on 18 Nov 2010, 20:44, edited 3 times in total.
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 19:49

Mister_Prophet wrote:

Say what now?

I know you like to do the storytelling side of things.With this U2 the level comes alive just making them walk around.
As for scripts there are a ton of them to make pawns do anything.
Just cut and paste and a little editing, I mean the possibilities are endless.add voice too, actions, and events(wave, crouch)
and it hasn't crashed hardly at all.my mistake each time.

Once you see the basic pattern of things for scripted pawns it can easily be understood.Unlike before,but you could still do as before, just place enemies and path nodes, spawn points.
They even make it easy to enable the next playerstart from an objective trigger.No bots like assault, but a clean SP objective with all the frills making the pawns act within a storyline.
Just ban everyone

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 20:44

UBerserker wrote:Unreal 2 has the best Skaarj Warrior models. No contest.

:/
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 20:47

Mman wrote:The problem with Unreal 2 editing is that it's literally broken; half the features essential to making a map in UEngine 2 simply don't work. I think people made some programs to get around that, but there are so many roadblocks and instabilities it would probably be easier to just mod UT2004 or UT3 to support SP (of course, that's already been mostly done, at least in UT2004's case).

Any examples? links? so far it has done everything I tried.(which ain't much)
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 20:56

Hellscrag wrote:Another problem with mapping for Unreal 2 is that you would be substantially limiting your audience. I'm making an assumption here, but who plays U2 any more, or even still has it installed?

Including me, been years, but taking a second look and it seems worth learning.It has so much more control geared at SP, because that IS the gametype.
If there where more maps around, I think you could get a lot of people to reinstall U2.
Just ban everyone

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 21:49

WhirlWindWabbit wrote:

Yes, they crush to bit the U1 Skaarj Warrior model. And they even look better in UT3. The Mid-Tier Skaarj is badass.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010, 23:40

UBerserker wrote:
WhirlWindWabbit wrote:

Yes, they crush to bit the U1 Skaarj Warrior model. And they even look better in UT3. The Mid-Tier Skaarj is badass.

:shake:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Next