Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

UnrealPolyEd: Easy terrain brush creation for Unreal and UT

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: UnrealPolyEd: Easy terrain brush creation for Unreal and UT

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014, 00:23

I have IFRAME's disabled in firefox, so I was wondering why your website was blank white with some blue text, examining the source I found your actual site was contained within a iframe.

Sounds like your current webhost are a bunch of idiots or there's some serious foul play going on about. Using frames to serve advertiesments, let alone iframes is a recipe for bad news for me.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar Ozma777
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Location: level 19 character @ dungeon level 23 WILL contain Jabberwocks and the occasional Vorpal Jabberwock

Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014, 09:09

sidewinder wrote:What kind of "import" would you need, I mean, which file formats? Maybe I can quickly add a function that suits your needs. I think a T3D import wouldn't be hard to do, but since you are currently limited to the "top view" in 2D, it's probably not so easy to model a rock in UnrealPolyEd. Maybe for such tasks, you're better off in a "real" modeling program.

t3d yeah... I do a complicated process using bryce for terrain generation then a screenshot (bmp) of the whole grayscale terrain "box" then edit in a paint program and then eventually it is in a t3d format after a few more steps that I import to Ued so a import *.t3d function would be awesome!

Then I could import the t3d into your program and edit before I import the terrain into Ued.
The Breeze is Busy Blowin Dizzy

sidewinder
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014, 15:38

Ozma777 wrote:t3d yeah... I do a complicated process using bryce for terrain generation then a screenshot (bmp) of the whole grayscale terrain "box" then edit in a paint program and then eventually it is in a t3d format after a few more steps that I import to Ued so a import *.t3d function would be awesome!

Then I could import the t3d into your program and edit before I import the terrain into Ued.
I have just released version 0.7 of UnrealPolyEd with experimental support for importing .t3d files and some bugfixes.
Download at http://sidewinder.de.vu/unrealpolyed

The following restrictions apply currently:
- Only tested with files exported via File -> Export in UnrealEd. Let me know if that works for you. If not, send me an example file.
- Import might take some time even for decently sized brushes.
- Polygons with more than three vertices are split during import.
- Relative position of multiple brushes to each other might not be kept.
- No preservation of texture panning/scale.
- No support for unapplied rotation/scale of brushes (when exporting from UnrealEd, invoke "Transform Permanently" first).

If you are experiencing problems, please let me know. If you are not experiencing problems, let me know either ;)

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 May 2014, 21:44

Site down ! :(

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 May 2014, 00:01

That's strange; I can see it perfectly fine :?

SZ

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 May 2014, 04:14

I was getting a 504 error for a while, but thankfully it works again :D

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 May 2014, 01:20

I just put UnrealPolyEd to practical use for the first time and I have to say: It's awesome!! Never been easier to make Unreal-style terrains... If you take the time to familiarize yourself with the controls (read the manual) & pay attention to the way you set up your polygon lattice, it's seriously ace!

I had some minor trouble in that it wouldn't properly auto-create polygons with Ctrl+D if you didn't have 3 vertices selected; it would often create polygons with far-away vertices which were already fully occupied and illogical to create a polygon with. I also found the vertices a little fiddly to select, and I sorely missed a mouse drag box for selecting. However, after fiddling around with the editor for just ~20 minutes I managed to import a completely healthy and BSP-friendly terrain... I can only imagine how amazing the results can get if you invest more time into it!

This is seriously a blessing for me, since I could never become friends with the tesselated cube method. Thank you so much!

A result of half an hour of UnrealPolyEd
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 24 May 2014, 02:56

What's it look like in UED? :)

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 May 2014, 09:38

Again, disclaimer: I didn't bother setting up more polygons to have smoother walls (more polygon rows), uneven ground or texture transitions (Though the cliffs are slightly tilted inwards, at least). The result will depend on effort/personal skill. Still, I felt it was much less effort to set up than tess cubes, because you can work off an empty sheet and place your own vertices/polygons, rather than having to work off a rigid grid, unable to add/delete polygons after you've made it... for me it'd be hell to set up tess cubes to receive that final result.

Tess cubes would beautifully complement PolyEd terrains for details such as cliff arches, bridges and other such features. However, I have a feeling these can be made with PolyEd too... (though I wouldn't recommend it, at it'd be a clusterfuck with only a 2D top-down view)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014, 19:30

Hey sidewinder, this looks fabulous! You're giving me major incentive to get back to mapping :)

Would you like some help with development? I could throw in a (wireframe/orthographic) 3D preview if anyone's interested.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Previous